This License Agreement is designed to protect the logos and all trademarks, trade names, service marks or designs belonging to Couchsurfing International, Inc. (Couchsurfing) (collectively the Marks) from being used in ways that are confusing, misleading or otherwise not correctly representative of our community. Please be sure to follow this set of guidelines when using our Marks.
The Marks may be used by you in accordance with the terms and conditions set forth below. Use of one or more of the Marks shall constitute consideration for, agreement to and acceptance of the following terms and conditions of this license by you:
1. The Marks are the sole and exclusive property of Couchsurfing. These Marks may be used only by you if and only if such use is made pursuant to the terms and conditions of this limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, and revocable license. Any failure by you to comply with the terms and conditions contained herein may result in the immediate revocation of this license, in addition to any other sanctions imposed by Couchsurfing. The interpretation and enforcement of these terms and conditions, and compliance therewith, shall be made by Couchsurfing in its sole discretion.
2. The Marks may be revised or altered only as expressly approved by Couchsurfing (revised or altered marks are included within the scope of Marks).
3. This license permits use of the Marks exclusively for the following purposes (hereinafter, Approved Use):
Academic Use: You may use the Marks in conjunction with your role as a student or faculty member at an accredited university, college or secondary school, such as for publication in academic journals, research projects or academic presentations. Such use shall be limited to non-commercial academic purposes.
Couchsurfing Apparel & Materials: Subject to Couchsurfings prior written approval, you may use the Marks to design and manufacture your own t-shirts, banners, sweatshirts, hats or other related goods for the sole purpose of promoting Couchsurfing. You may distribute your apparel and materials to other Couchsurfing registered members free-of-charge, however you may not incorporate the Marks into anything produced commercially, regardless of whether or not you intend to make a profit.
Social Media: Subject to Couchsurfings prior written approval, you may use the Marks in conjunction with the creation and operation of social media profiles for your local Couchsurfing community. For the purposes of this section, social media websites shall include any third party website which allows users to interact and communicate with each other online but does not include any standalone websites created by you or on your behalf. Use of the Marks under this section is conditioned upon your acceptance of and compliance with any social media use policies provided to you by Couchsurfing.
4. Any Approved Use which incorporates the Marks must be made to a high quality standard, and you may not incorporate the Marks into any product or website which: is defamatory; contains nudity or sexually explicit content; disparages any ethnic, racial, sexual or religious group by stereotypical depiction or otherwise; violates any applicable local, state, national or international law or regulation; exploits images or the likeness of individuals under 18 years of age; depicts use of illicit drugs; makes use of offensive language or images; characterizes violence as acceptable, glamorous or desirable; contains any third-party trademarks, identifications or copyrights (or other intellectual property) or allow the Marks to be connected with any other commercial enterprise.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Marks may not be used in any manner that, in the sole discretion of Couchsurfing: is false or misleading; discredits Couchsurfing or tarnishes its reputation and goodwill; violates the rights of others; violates any law, regulation or other public policy; or mischaracterizes the relationship between Couchsurfing and you, including but not limited to any use of the Marks that might be reasonably construed as an endorsement, approval, sponsorship or certification by Couchsurfing of you, your business or organization, or your products or services, or that might be reasonably construed as support or encouragement to purchase or utilize your products or services.
You acknowledge that Couchsurfing has the right to inspect the quality and nature of the goods and services provided under the Marks. Upon written notification by Couchsurfing of noncompliance with Couchsurfings quality standards in any material respect, you shall take appropriate steps, in a commercially reasonable time frame, to cure such noncompliance.
5. Use of the Marks shall create no rights for you in or to the Marks or their use beyond the terms and conditions of this limited and revocable license. The Marks shall remain at all times the sole and exclusive intellectual property of Couchsurfing. You hereby assign all right, title and interest in and to any revised or altered Marks to Couchsurfing. Couchsurfing shall have the right, from time to time, to request samples of use of the Marks from which it may determine compliance with these terms and conditions. Without further notice, Couchsurfing reserves the right to prohibit use of the Marks if it determines, in its sole discretion, that your usage of the Marks, whether willful or negligent, is not in strict accordance with the terms and conditions of this license, otherwise could discredit Couchsurfing or tarnish its reputation and goodwill, or that you are not a Couchsurfing member in good standing.
6. Any questions concerning use of the Marks or the terms and conditions of this license should be directed to Couchsurfings Legal Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.