Effective Date: August 30, 2016
- the information we, Couchsurfing International, Inc. (“Couchsurfing”) collect about you,
- how we use and share that information, and
- the privacy choices we offer.
What Information Do We Collect When You Use Our Services?
Information Users Provide to Us
We collect information you provide to us, such as when you create an account, update your profile, use the interactive features of our Services, participate in contests, promotions or surveys, request customer support or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we may collect include:
- Basic user information, such as your name, username, gender, birth date, email address, mailing address, billing address, phone number and photographs;
- Messages and interactive forum information, such as discussion group posts, messages to other Couchsurfing users and information you provide in connection with activities and events;
- Other background, contact and demographic information, such as your occupation, personal URL, IM username, emergency contact, home descriptions, travel history and plans and other interests and self-descriptions you choose to provide;
- Information stored on your mobile device, such as your photos, calendar information and contacts, if you have given us permission to access this information; and
- Information about you from other Couchsurfing users, such as trust ratings, friend connections, public references, and other interconnections and interactions between you and other Couchsurfing users.
Information We Collect Automatically
When you access or use our Services, we may also automatically collect information about you, including:
- Location Information: We may collect information about your location each time you access or use our mobile application or website, or otherwise consent to the collection of this information. For more information, please see “Your Information Choices” below.
- Device Information: We collect device-specific information when you access our Services, including your hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, mobile network information and information about the device’s interaction with our Services.
- Log Information: We collect log information about how you access or use our Services, including your access times, browser type and language, Internet Service Provider and Internet Protocol (“IP”) address.
- Information Collected by Cookies and other Tracking Technologies: We may automatically collect information using cookies, web beacons (also known as “tracking gifs,” “pixel tags” and “tracking pixels”) and other tracking technologies to, among other things, improve our Services and your experience, monitor user activity, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness, and tell if an email has been opened and acted upon. For information about removing or rejecting cookies, please see “Your Information Choices” below.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through our Services. For example, if you create or log into your Couchsurfing account through a third-party social networking site, we will have access to certain information from that site, such as your name, profile picture, connections and other account information in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by such third-party social networking site.
Some of this information may be shared with other users, for example they may be able to see your connections who are also Couchsurfing users. Please see “Your Information Choices” below for more information about how to manage your sharing preferences.
How Do We Use this Information?
- Operate and improve our Services;
- Protect the safety of Couchsurfing users and provide our verification service;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, promotions, rewards and events and provide other news and information about Couchsurfing and other third parties;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Services;
- Personalize the Services, which may include providing content or features that match user profiles or interests;
- Process and deliver contest entries and rewards; and
- Link or combine with other information we get from third parties to help understand your needs and provide you with better service.
Transfers of Your Personal Information Abroad
Sharing of Information
- With your consent, including if we notify you through our Services that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you subsequently agree to provide such information;
- With third party vendors, consultants and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out their work for us;
- With others who access or use our Services in accordance with the privacy settings you establish (please see “Your Information Choices” below for more information about how to manage your sharing preferences);
- With search engines in order to index the content you provide as part of a discussion forum or public profile;
- With partners who run contests, special offers or other events or activities in connection with our Services;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company;
- If we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements; and
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Couchsurfing is responsible and liable if third-party agents that it uses to process the personal data on its behalf do so in a manner inconsistent with the Privacy Shield Principles, unless Couchsurfing proves that it is not responsible for the event that allowed the damage to occur.
Social Media Tools
Third Party Links
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third party products or services as part of our Services. These third parties may have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the activities of these third parties and how they collect, use or share information about you. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our Services and welcome any feedback about these third parties.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
How Do We Protect Visitor Information?
Couchsurfing takes reasonable measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
Your Information Choices
You may change your privacy settings and determine whether certain information about you will be visible to others by navigating to "Account & Settings" on our website and editing your "Privacy Settings."
You may update or correct information about you or deactivate your account at any time by logging into your account and editing your profile. Couchsurfing will not provide members access to account data that is not already available to a logged in member. Even after you deactivate your account, we may retain certain information as required by law, for legitimate business purposes or to protect member safety. If your account is deactivated, Couchsurfing will provide access to the data associated with the deactivated account upon receipt of the required legal documentation.
Location Information via Mobile Device
You have the ability to turn location-based services on and off by adjusting the settings of your Internet browser or mobile device and by following the standard uninstall process and removing Couchsurfing’s application from your device. Doing so, however, may mean that you cannot use all or a portion of our Services.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. However, you can choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Each browser is a little different, so look at your browser's help menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookies, or visit www.allaboutcookies.org. Please note, however, that our Services may not function properly if your browser does not accept cookies.
You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from Couchsurfing by following the instructions in those emails or by adjusting the appropriate settings in your profile. If you opt out, we may still send you transactional or relationship messages, such as emails about your account.
In addition, EU members can direct privacy-related inquiries or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request. If your complaint is not resolved, you may have the option of engaging in binding arbitration through the Privacy Shield Panel. Couchsurfing is subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC).