Not Accepting Guests
- Last login about 2 months ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Becs.Jarvis’s full profile. It’s free!
I moved to New Zealand nearly four years ago to study for my PhD in interdisciplinary conservation science. Essentially, trying to figure out how we can achieve environmental and social outcomes together. I have just submitted my PhD and am currently working as a researcher on a human impact and climate change project in Antarctica - I even got to go down to the ice - one of the best experiences of my life so far!
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
I turned up to a CS event when I first arrived in Auckland and got hooked! I am an active part of the Auckland CS community (my New Zealand family!) and have met so many incredible people through events, drinks, and adventures.
Road trips, camping, tramping, hiking, beaches, the sea, forests, mountains, swimming, snorkelling, scuba diving, live music, laughing, drinking, street food, travelling, sharing stories, reading, writing, learning, street art, photojournalism, social good projects, theatre, and dancing (I dance badly, but enthusiastically!)
- street art
- live music
- scuba diving
- road trips
Music, Movies, and Books
Music - I make a spotify playlist of my favourite songs every year. 2015 --> http://tinyurl.com/spotify2015
Movies - local and international films, documentaries, and dramas. My favourite movies growing up were Labyrinth and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Books - to find out what I am reading check out my Goodreads --> http://tinyurl.com/vgoodreads
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
- Travelled to Antarctica as part of a NZ research mission
- Ran a Marine Research Programme in Madagascar
- Lived in a wooden hut on the beach for 9 months
- Snorkelled with manta rays
- Scuba dived with wild dolphins
- Swam in glowing phosphorescence under a full moon
- Waded through the acqua alta in Venice
- Fished for calamari at sunrise in Greece
- Paddled down the Tsiribihina river in a pirogue.
- Became qualified as a PADI Divemaster
- CS Tongariro crossing
Countries I’ve Visited
Antarctica, Australia, Canada, Fiji, France, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy, Madagascar, Netherlands, New Zealand, Thailand, United States
Countries I’ve Lived In
Australia, Greece, Madagascar, New Zealand, United Kingdom