Wants to Meet Up
- Last login 13 days ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Charles’s full profile. It’s free!
I love travelling!! Last year I visited Australia, China, North & South Korea, Japan, Spain, France & England.
Right now I'm based in Wellington, NZ working for an NGO and planning the next adventures.
I enjoy taking my time to get to know a place quite well. And prefer exploring off the beaten track than joining the tourist queues, or tours.
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
I've hosted in New Zealand, and have been along to a few meetups. I have surfed in France & Iran.
The best hosts I've encountered were the ones I stayed with in Iran, and more often than not we became friends and are still in touch. The Persians do hospitality really well! So it's made me want to be a better host (& surfer), and not just host/surf for a free place to stay, but as a bonus of getting to know someone new.
Perhaps a bit idealist, but we'll see how it goes. At the moment I'm quite busy, working, running my own consultancy on the side, and of course travelling whenever I can!
Exploring the outdoors
Going on random adventures
Discovering new music & short films
Learning new languages
Music, Movies, and Books
Love reading travel adventure books.
Movies: love art house, comedies, or something that keeps you guessing.
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
Lots, but the ones that stand out to me are:
- Exploring New Zealand & finding a hidden waterfall
- Staying with Karen villagers in the mountains of Thailand
- Going to a theme park with North Korean locals in Pyongyang
Teach, Learn, Share
I'm studying to become a Polygot, fluent in English, French, Spanish, Mandarin & Korean.
After living in NZ, and doing Working Holidays overseas I've been working on a blog post on how to get the most out of the WHV in NZ - Watch this space!
** My best picks of Wellington **
- Best sushi: Blowfish - https://goo.gl/maps/m6mDi
- Best coffee: (debatable - there's so many places!) Try Flight coffee - https://goo.gl/maps/iJWh4
- Best chocolate: WCF - https://goo.gl/maps/erBnQ
- Best deserts: Matterhorn - https://goo.gl/maps/dYPJ9
- Best public homemade swing: https://goo.gl/maps/xP17Z
- Best organic food store: Common Sense Organics - https://goo.gl/maps/N68y6
- My favourite vegetable market: Victoria St farmers market (Sunday mornings only) - https://goo.gl/maps/s0sZR
- Best place to see wild seals: Red rocks - https://goo.gl/maps/8mFaI
- Best place to find wild penguins (in winter): https://goo.gl/maps/9YyAg
- Best place to get selfies with planes as they land almost on top of you: https://goo.gl/maps/WsCjZ & https://www.wellingtonairport.co.nz/flights/arrivals/
- Best abandoned WW2 army base to visit: https://goo.gl/maps/dhgWP
- There's so much more! But I'll have to tell you them in person :-)
Countries I’ve Visited
Australia, Belgium, Canada, China, Fiji, French Polynesia, India, Iran, Japan, Netherlands, North Korea, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States
Countries I’ve Lived In
France, New Zealand