Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
99% response rate · Last login 21 minutes ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Ciro's full profile. It's free!View Full Profile
CURRENT LOCATION: GUANGZHOU (China)
✆✉ Wechat: cirorendas Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ciro.rendas
On-the-road since 2007, more than 120 countries visited and still going strong!㋛
Enjoy all that Asia (especially China) has to experience... and play 'I never/I have never/Never have I ever...' again to write a more interesting mission ✌
X-✈X-✈X-X-✈X-✈X-✈X-✈ PREVIOUS TRAVELS
✓::::::::::::Winter 2015@Europe:::::::::::: (January to March 2015)
* PORTUGAL (Lisboa, Setubal, Sesimbra) * POLAND (Gdansk, Gdynia, Sopot, Malbork) * MONTENEGRO (Podgorica, Cetinj, Budva, Kotor, Strogod, Bijelo Polje) * KOSOVO (Peja, Pristina, Prizren) * MACEDONIA (Skopje) * GREECE (Meteora, Thessaloniki) * CYPRUS (Paphos, Troodos, Limassol, Nicosia, Kyrenia, Famagusta)
✓ ::::::::::::China, Mongolia & South Korea @Summer'2014 (July-Sept.)::::::::::::
* CHINA (SanQing Shan, Huang Shan/Hong Cun, Nanjing, PingYao, Datong/Hengshan/Yungang, Erlian, Chengde, Beijing, Jinan, Taishan, Qingdao) * MONGOLIA (Ulaanbaatar, Kahrkhorin, the Mongolian steppe and desert) * SOUTH KOREA (Incheon, Seoul, Seoraksan, Samcheok, Gyeongju, Daegu, Haemi, Suwon)
✓ :::::::::::: Island hopping in the Philippines and Malaysia: Jan-Feb 2014::::::::::::
* THE PHILIPPINES (Cebu for Sinulog festival & Malapascua for scuba diving and volunteer work; Manila, Baguio for Panagbenga festival, Vigan, Sagada, Bananue, Kabayan) * MALAYSIA (Borneo island/Sabah region -> Kota Kinabalu & Sipadan/Mabul/Semporna for scuba diving; Sandakan)
✓ :::::::::::: Europe and Caucasus: May-September 2013 ::::::::::::
* ENGLAND (Southampton, Salisbury/Stonehenge, Bristol, Bath) * WALES (Cardiff, Caerphily) * MALTA (Valletta, St. Julians, Mellieha, Gozo, Comino) * SPAIN (Valencia, Barcelona) * ANDORRA (Andorra la Vella) * PORTUGAL (Lisbon, Setubal, Sesimbra, Sagres, Lagos, Faro) * SWITZERLAND (Geneva, Zurich) * LIECHTENSTEIN (Vaduz, Schaan) * GERMANY (Ulm, Wurzburg, Nuremberg, Bayreuth) * CZECH REPUBLIC (Prague, Ostrava) * POLAND (Bielsko-Biala, Zywiec, Katowice) * GEORGIA (Kutaisi, Tbilisi, Kazbegi, Vardzia, Borjomi, Gori, Chiatura, Mtskheta, Shatili, Batumi, Zestafoni) * ARMENIA (Gyumri, Yerevan, Garni/Geghard, Khor Virap, Goris, Tatev, Khndzoresk, Sevan, Alaverdi/Sanahin/Haghpat) * AZERBAIJAN (Naftalan, Baku, Gobustan) * UAE (Dubai) * CHINA (Hong Kong, Macau, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Guilin/Yangshuo, Shanghai, Suzhou, Lijiang, Dali, Kunming)
✓ :::::::::::: North&Central America/Caribbean, May 2012-May 2013 ::::::::::::
* USA (Boston, New York, Washington DC, Charlotte, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, ...) * EL SALVADOR (San Salvador, Santa Ana y la Ruta de las Flores [Ahuachapan, Ataco, Juayua], Alegria) * HONDURAS (Choluteca, Tegucigalpa, San Pedro Sula, Puerto Cortez) * NICARAGUA (Somoto, Esteli, Matagalpa, León, Managua, Masaya, Chinandega, Granada, Isla Ometepe) * COSTA RICA (Montezuma, Manuel Antonio, San Jose) * GUATEMALA (Puerto Barrios) * BELIZE (Punta Gorda, Placencia, Belmopan, San Ignacio, Caracol, Belize City, Corozal...) * CUBA (Havana, Cienfuegos, Trinidad, Sancti Spiritus, Santiago de Cuba, Bayamo, Camaguey, Bahia de Cochinos/Bay of Pigs) * MEXICO (Laguna Bacalar, Tulum, Playa del Carmen, Cancun, Valladolid/Chichen Itza/Ek Balam, Holbox island, Merida, Uxmal, Campeche, Palenque, San Cristobal de las Casas, Coatzacoalcos, Veracruz, Puebla, Angangueo, Morelia, Patzcuaro, Uruapan/Paricutin, Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, Zacatecas, Real de 14, San Luis Potosi, Queretaro, Bernal/Sierra Gorda de Queretaro/Bucareli/Jalpan/Xilitla, Guanajuato, Dolores Hidalgo, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico City, Cuernavaca, Oaxaca, Villahermosa) * PUERTO RICO (Aguadilla, San Juan, El Yunque) * U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS (St. Thomas) * ST. MAARTEN / SAINT MARTIN (Philipsburg, Marigot) * ST. LUCIA (Castries, Pitons Nat. Park) * ST. KITTS & NEVIS (Basseterre) * PORTUGAL (Azores islands - S. Miguel)
✓ :::::::::::: South Asia (Overland from China to Turkey) (Jan-May 2012) ::::::::::::
* CHINA (Kunming, Yuanyang, Xishuangbanna) * LAOS (Luang Prabang, Vientiane) THAILAND (Udon Thani, Bangkok) * MYANMAR/BURMA (Yangon, Mandalay/Amarapura, Bagan, Inle Lake, Mawlamyine, Kyaiktiyo) * INDIA (Kolkata, Sikkim, Tripura, Mizoram, Manipur, Nagaland, Assam, Meghalaya, Odisha, Bihar, Delhi, Amritsar) * BANGLADESH (Paharpur, Bogra, Dhaka, Khulna/Bagerhat/Sundarbans, Chittagong, Cox's Bazaar) * PAKISTAN (Lahore, Jhelum, Islamabad/Rawalpindi, Multan, Bahawalpur, Derawar, Karachi) * BAHRAIN (Manama) * QATAR (Doha) * UNITED ARAB EMIRATES (Dubai, Fujairah) * IRAN (Shiraz, Yazd, Esfahan, Tehran, Tabriz) * TURKEY (Van, Dıyarbakır, Mardin, Nemrut Dagı, Adana, Ankara)
✓ :::::::::::: All around Southeast, Far East Asia and the Silk Road :::::::::::: From July'2009 until September'2011
* CHINA (Xiahe, Lanzhou, Korla, Baicheng, Kashgar, Turpan, Urumqi, Dunhuang, Jiayuguan, Zhangye, Tianshui, Xi'An, Hua Shan, Luoyang, Kaifeng, Zhengzhou, Shaoguan, Macau, Kaiping, Guangzhou/Foshan, Fenghuang, Zhangjiajie/Wulingyuan, Chinese New Year@Guilin, Yangshuo, Harbin [for the ice and snow festival], Beijing, Hangzhou, Shenyang, Dandong, Wudangshan, Wuhan, Shenzhen, Hong-Kong) * KAZAKHSTAN (Almaty, Turkestan, Shymkent, Charyn Canyon) * KYRGYZSTAN (Bishkek, Issyk-Kul, Cholpon-Ata, Karakol, Osh, Sary-Tash) * NORTH KOREA (Pyongyang, Kaesong, Pamjunson/DMZ) * JAPAN (Osaka, Kobe, Hiroshima/Kure, Nara, Kyoto, Tokyo, Nikko, Matsumoto/Azumino, Nagano, Kofu/Yamanashi, Shizuoka, Iga, Fukuoka, Beppu, Nagasaki, Unzen, Kagoshima, Kumamoto/Aso) * THE PHILIPPINES (Cebu, Bohol) * TAIWAN (Chinese New Year@Taipei, HsinChu, Tainan, Kaohsiung) * MALAYSIA (Kuala Lumpur, Penang/Georgetown, Johor Bahru, Pulao Tioman, Kota Kinabalu, Semporna/Mabul/Sipadan) * THE PHILIPPINES (Manila, Donsol, Legazpi, Puerto Galera, Mt. Pinatubo) * SRI LANKA (Negombo, Anuradhapura, Pollonaruwa, Sigiriya, Dambulla, Kandy, Ella, Uda Walawa national park, Matara, Kogalla, Unawatuna, Galle, Colombo...) * INDONESIA (Jakarta, Bali [Ubud, Sanur, Kuta, Seminyak, Jimbaran] Krakatau volcano, Manado/Pulao Bunaken, Lembeh) * BRUNEI (Kuala Belait, Bandar Seri Begawan) MALAYSIA (Borneo - Sarawak & Sabah) * SINGAPORE * THAILAND (Bangkok) * PORTUGAL !!!
✓ :::::::::::: Travel route in June'09 =*@Europe: Hitchhiking Trip::::::::::::
* TURKEY (Edirne) * SERBIA (Nis) * HUNGARY (Budapest) * Austria (Vienna Calling - 10th Birthday of Couchsurfing - June 11th->16th) * GERMANY (Passau, Regensburg, Dresden) * POLAND (Wroclaw, Warsaw, Bialystok) * LATVIA (Riga, Midsummer Camp in Latvia - June 22nd-24th) * ESTONIA (Parnu, Tallinn) * SPAIN (Madrid) * PORTUGAL (Setubal, Lisboa, Obidos, Aveiro, Coimbra, Porto)
✓ :::::::::::: Central and Eastern Europe (Feb-Jun2009) ::::::::::::
* SCOTLAND (Glasgow, Edinburgh) * LUXEMBOURG (Luxembourg City) * GERMANY (Karneval @ Cologne) * UKRAINE (Kiev, Lviv, Odessa) * MOLDOVA (Chisinau) * ROMANIA (Iasi, Bucharest, Bras?ov, Sighisoara, Bran, Sibiu, Cluj-Napoca, Constanta) * BULGARIA (Varna, Nesebar, Burgas) * GREECE (Xanthi) * TURKEY (Istanbul)...
✓ :::::::::::: Travel route in December'08 ::::::::::::
* FRANCE (Lyon... for the Fete des Lumieres) * SWITZERLAND (Geneve)
✓ :::::::::::: Travel route in October-November'08 :::::::::::: @ Southwest Europe/Northwest Africa, by hitchhiking
* PORTUGAL: Setubal -> FaroSPAIN: Sevilla -> Granada -> Algeciras -> CeutaMOROCCO incl. WESTERN SAHARA: Tétouan -> Casablanca -> Marrakech -> Ouarzazate -> Essaouira -> Laayoune -> Cabo Bojador/Boujdour -> DakhlaMAURITANIA: Nouadhibou -> NouakchottSENEGAL: Saint-Louis -> Dakar
✓❖❖❖❖ COMPLETED ROUND-THE-WORLD TRIP (2007-2008) ❖❖❖❖:
THANK YOU TO ALL THE AMAZING PEOPLE I'VE MET ALONG THE WAY DURING THE LAST YEAR AND A HALF (YOU REALLY MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE!!!), INCLUDING THE EXTRAORDINARY PEOPLE THAT HOSTED ME AND TRAVELED WITH ME DURING THIS UNFORGETTABLE TRIP (Europe (Balcans) ► Middle East► India & Southeast Asia ►Latin America) Some photos of this trip available here:(http://picasaweb.google.com/ciro.rendas)***
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why it is called the present!" "If you can conceive and if you believe it, you can achieve it" "If you can look, see. If you can see, observe.If you can observe, think.If you can think, act" "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...Explore. Dream. Discover."
HOW I PARTICIPATE IN COUCHSURFING
I host 'I guest' We meet
AS A GUEST: I have surfed 310+ couches via CS/HC/BW while traveling in Portugal, Spain, Denmark, Belgium, Iceland, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany, Albania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, India, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Hong-Kong, Canada, U.S.A. (California, Illinois, Massachusetts, NY, DC, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Washington, Puerto Rico), Trinidad&Tobago, French Guyana, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Panamá, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala, U.K. (Northern Ireland, Scotland, England, Wales), Ireland, Morocco, Mauritania, Senegal, France, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Ukraine, Moldova, Romania, Greece, Serbia, Hungary, Austria, Brunei, Sri Lanka, The Philippines, Taiwan, Japan, China (incl. Hong-Kong and Macau), Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Bahrain, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Iran, El Salvador, Honduras, Belize, Mexico, Cuba, Malta, Liechtenstein, Czech Republic, Armenia, Georgia (& Abkhazia), Azerbaijan, Mongolia, South Korea, Montenegro, Cyprus
AS A HOST: I have received 200+ guests via CS/HC/BW, in Portugal, Turkey, Nicaragua and China. They were from Germany, Portugal, Latvia, Lithuania, Brazil, Austria, U.S.A., United Kingdom (England, Wales, Scotland), France, Turkey, Estonia, Canada, Hungary, India, Poland, Croatia, Peru, Belgium, Mexico, Argentina, China, Israel/South Africa, Switzerland, Spain, Singapore, Netherlands, Russia, Syria, Finland, Italy, The Philippines, Panama, Australia, Japan, Lebanon, Belarus, Angola, Tanzania, Tunisia, New Zealand, Malaysia, Thailand, South Korea
In Guangzhou (March-December 2011 & March 2014-...), hosted 110+ guests: 115) YOU! 114) Saki&Ogushi (Japan) for 3 nights 113) Ashley/Joao Paulo (New Zealand/Portugal) for 1 night 112) Qiong (Guangdong, China) twice for 5 nights 111) Jessie (Jiangsu, China) twice for 7 nights 110) Anna (Germany ) for 3 nights 109) James (USA) for 1 night 108) Cecily (USA) for 1 night 107) An (Beijing, China) for 1 night 106) Alan (USA) for 4 nights 105) Kathi (Germany) for 2 nights 104) Margarita (Hungary) for 2 nights 102&103) Yuri and Maria (South Korea) for 2 night 101) Gray (Sichuan, China) for 3 nights 100) Sutti (Thailand) for 1 night 98&99) Chelsea and Jay (China & Hong Kong) twice for 2 nights 96&97) Caro and Pau (Argentina) for 3 nights 94&95) Song and friend (Sichuan, China), twice for 10 nights 93) Allison (USA) for 2 nights 92) Hosted Gisel (Philippines) for 2 nights 91) Hosted Vita (Lithuania) for 4 nights 89, 90) Hosted Pan (again, after 3 years) and his cousin (Zhejiang, China) for 1 night 88) Hosted Sharon (again, after 3 years) (Ningxia, China) for 1 night 87) Hosted Jeremi (Poland) for 3 nights 86) Hosted Jonas (Germany) for 4 nights 85) Hosted Jessica (Hunan, China) for 1 night 84) Hosted Layla (China) for 1 night 83) Hosted Yin (Malaysia) twice for 12 nights 82) Hosted George (New Zealand) for 1 night 81) Hosted Anne-Flore (France) for 2 nights 80) Hosted William (Australia/Germany) for 2 nights 79) Hosted Qiaoqiao (Zhejiang, China) twice for 6 nights 78) Hosted Cici (Shanxi, China) Twice for 2 nights 77) Hosted Ana (Portugal) for 1 night 76) Hosted Arianne (Belgium) twice for 5 nights 75) Hosted Ksenia (Russia) for 1 night 74) Hosted Annie (Guangdong, China) for 7 nights 73) Hosted Marouen (Tunisia) for 1 night 72) Hosted Wes (Poland) for 4 nights 71) Hosted Serena (again, after 3 years) (Henan, China) for 1 night 68, 69, 70) Hosted Gustavo, Rafa and William (Brazil) for 2 nights 67) Hosted Emma (Portugal) for 2 nights 66) Hosted Chi (Zhejiang, China) thrice for 3 nights 65) Hosted Stuart (Tanzania) for 1 night 64) Hosted Ling (Gansu, China) for 3 nights
1) Hosted Andy (Switzerland) for 3 nights 2) Hosted Eloi (Spain) for 1 night 3) Hosted Ula (Poland) for 3 nights 4) Hosted Jarek (Poland) for 3 nights 5) Hosted Daniel (Singapore) for 1 night 6) Hosted Jasmine (Anhui, China) for 2 nights 7) Hosted Marcus (Canada) for 2 nights 8) Hosted Paul (UK/Australia) for 2 nights 9) Hosted Andy (Wales) for 2 nights 10) Hosted Alex (Mexico) for 1 night 11) Hosted Amy (Guangxi, China) for 1 night 12) Hosted Ruohong (Shanxi, China) for 1 night 13) Hosted Leon (Netherlands) for 1 night 14) Hosted Sabrina (Guangdong, China) for 3 nights 15) Hosted Vy (USA)for 3 nights 16) Hosted Sandra (Guangxi, China) for 1 night 17) Hosted Chanel (Guangdong, China) for 2 nights 18) Hosted Andreas (Austria) for 1 night 19) Hosted Chad/Tiago (Beijing, China) for 1 night 20) Hosted Marina (Argentina) for 3 nights 21) Hosted Anya (Russia) for 1 night 22) Hosted Ola (UK/Nigeria/USA) for 10 nights 23) Hosted Bill (Hebei, China) for 4 nights 24&25) Hosted Marta and Pedro Sousa (Portugal) for 1 night 26) Hosted Damien (France) for 4 nights 27) Hosted Julia (Russia) for 5 nights 28&29) Hosted Diego and Noemi (Spain) for 1 night 30) Hosted Jack (Guangxi, China) for 2 nights 31) Hosted Feras (Syria) for 5 nights 32) Hosted Joe (Canada) for 6 nights 33) Hosted Alex (Russia) for 1 night 34) Hosted Calvin (Germany), again, for 1 night 35) Hosted Mikael (Finland) for 2 nights 36) Hosted Joanna (UK/Scotland) for 1night 37) Hosted Mathias (Italy/France) for 2 nights 38) Hosted Serena (Henan, China) for 1 night 39&40) Hosted Jeffrey (USA) & Evelyn (China) for 2 nights 41&42) Hosted Juliette & Thierry (France) for 2 nights 43&44) Hosted Cecilia & Chris (Germany & Canada) for 1 night 45) Hosted Kim (The Philippines) for 1 night 46) Hosted Damian (Germany) for 1 night 47&48) Hosted Arek & Nadia (Poland) for 1 night 49) Hosted Sasha (Russia) for 7 nights 50) Hosted Kit (Guangdong, China) for 1 night 51) Hosted Genista (Guangdong, China) for 1 night 52) Hosted Sharon (Ningxia, China) for 4 nights 53) Hosted Chen (Guangdong, China) for 2 nights 54) Hosted Aaron (USA) for 2 nights 55) Hosted Pan (Zhejiang, China) for 1 night 56&57) Hosted Päivi & Santeri (Earth & Finland) for 7 nights 58) Hosted Nadia (Panama) for 1 night 59) Hosted Jeri (USA) for 1 night 60) Hosted Max (France) for 4 nights 61) Hosted Elisabeth (The Netherlands) for 2 nights 62) Hosted Edward (HK) for 2 nights 63) Hosted Jeroen (The Netherlands) for 1 night
*** CS/HC/BW meetings (organisation and/or participation) or even meeting up for a drink, beer, wine, tea, coffee, sheesha, etc. in: Portugal, Spain, Italy, Ireland, Denmark, Latvia, Lithuania, Germany, Albania, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Kuwait, India, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, China (incl. Hong-Kong&Macau), Canada, U.S.A., Puerto Rico, Trinidad&Tobago, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Panamá, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Morocco, France, United Kingdom, Luxembourg, Ukraine, Moldova, Romania, Hungary, Austria, Estonia, Sri Lanka, The Philippines, Taiwan, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Iran, Bahrain, El Salvador, Belize, Mexico, Cuba, Malta, Liechtenstein, Poland, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Mongolia, Kosovo, Cyprus
Too many to fit in this box...
music: Pearl Jam, Sigur Rós, Xavier Rudd, Joseph Arthur, Godspeed You!Black Emperor, Mogwai, Pelican, Tool, Prem Joshua, Dave Matthews Band, Explosions in the Sky, Tori Amos, Dirty Three, The Arcade Fire, Mint Royale, Aqualung, Florence + The Machine, Jeff Buckley, Madredeus, Wolfmother, 65daysofstatic, Snow Patrol, Rodrigo & Gabriela, MGMT, Yeasayer, Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver, Ben Harper, Ted Leo and The Pharmacists, Copeland, Matt Wertz, Mat Kearney, Matt Nathanson, Tex Perkins, Klaxons, Matisyahu, of Montreal, Tom McRae, Sol Seppy, Santogold, Camera Obscura, The Reindeer Section, TV on the Radio, Buzzcocks, Beirut, The Twilight Sad, Jorge Drexler, Madrugada, The Appleseed Cast, Kubb, Bajofondo Tango Club, Gotan Project, Rocky Votolato, God is an Astronaut, Battles, The Veils, The Decemberists, Sparklehorse, I'm From Barcelona, Boy Kill Boy, Jimi Hendrix, Fujiya & Miyagi, Panda Bear, Blonde Redhead, Mariza, Andrew Bird, ¡Forward, Russia!, Cansei de Ser Sexy, Comets on Fire, Matthew Good, Iron & Wine, Ray LaMontagne, Blue October, Tristan Prettyman, Heather Nova, Kodo, Gnawa music, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Yasir & Jawad, Putumayo World Music compilations and also to the latest pop and rock... Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/Ciror/
movies: Mar Adentro, American History X, The Intouchables, Into The Wild, Warrior, The Bucket List, There Will Be Blood, Slumdog Millionaire, Tropa de Elite 1 & 2, Amadeus, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Usual Suspects, Sin City, Borat, Black Swan, No Country For Old Men, Shawshank Redemption, Shutter Island, The Stoning of Soraya M, Precious: Based on the novel Push by Sapphire, Drive, Silence of the Lambs, LOTR (all), Pulp Fiction, Apocalypse Now, Léon, 300, The Truman Show, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Pirates of the Caribbean (all), Letters from Iwo Jima, Baraka, Hachiko A Dog's Story, Mystic River, Snatch, The Hangover, Closer, Once, El Secreto en sus Ojos, Requiem for a Dream, Scarface, Underground, The Godfather (all), Star Wars (all), Indiana Jones (all), The Bourne... (all), Back to the Future (all), The Matrix, Reservoir Dogs, Crash, Fight Club, Happiness, The Pursuit of Happyness, Little Miss Sunshine, Primal Fear, The Departed, Few Good Men, Gandhi, Der Untergang, Schindler's List, Se7en, Dr. Strangelove, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Deer Hunter, The Killing Fields, Good Morning Vietnam, Taxi Driver, Man on the Moon, Cidade de Deus, Carandiru, Blade Runner, Amores Perros, El Laberinto del fauno, The Pianist, Amazing Grace, Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, Fight Club, Juno, P.S. I Love You, 4 luni 3 saptamâni si 2 zile, The Straight Story, Groundhog Day, Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Good Will Hunting, Transformers (all), The Avengers, Big Fish, V for Vendetta, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Hugo, Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi (Spirited Away), Hauru no Ugoku Shiro (Howl's Moving Castle) Mononoke-hime (Princess Mononoke), Corpse Bride, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Finding Nemo, Ratatouille, Shrek (all), Monsters, Inc., Madagascar (all), Toy Story (all) Kung-Fu Panda (both), Up, How to train your Dragon, Wall-E ...
documentaries: I devour all kinds of documentaries, including Oceans; The Cove; Sharkwater; End Of The Line; BBC's Planet Earth, Blue Planet, Human Planet, Oceans, Weird Nature, Natural World, Horizon, Lost Kingdoms of Africa, Yellowstone, Wild China, Wild Indonesia, Wild India, Arctic, Story of India, Ganges, Lost Land of the Volcano, Galapagos, Earth:Power of the Planet, Around the World in 80 Treasures, Michael Palin (several), Inside Life, The Frankincese Trail, Hiroshima; National Geographic (also several); Discovery Channel (several); History Channel (several); Blue Gold - World Water Wars; Man On Wire; Food, Inc.; An Inconvenient Truth; Born Into Brothels; March of the Penguins; The Crimson Wing; Grizzly Man; Encounters at the End of the World
TV series: I'm not a usual TV series fan, but I do enjoy a few, such as Lie to Me; Whale Wars; Bizarre Foods; Dirty Jobs; Man vs. Wild; Survivorman; No Reservations; Spartacus; An Idiot Abroad, Game of Thrones
books about these topics: Business/Management, travel, European Union, Eastern Europe, Latin America, Asia, India, China, Africa, peace, history, religions, human migration, information technology, emerging markets, biotechnology, entrepreneurship, venture capital, capitalism, globalization, diversity, non-profit organizations, economic development, economic policy, corporate social responsibility, alternative energy, wine, photography ... and books about the places I visit and/or from native authors which somehow provide insights into the local culture.
Currently reading: - "The Sea", by John Banville - "Burmese Days" by George Orwell - "To the Ends of the Earth" by Paul Theroux
Next...: - "The Life of Pi" by Yann Martel
Recent reads on the road: - "The Inheritance of Loss" by Kiran Desai - "Wings of Fire" by APJ Abdul Kalam - "The White Tiger" - Aravind Adiga - "Vagabonding" by Rolf Potts - "20.000 Leagues Under the Sea" - Jules Verne - Too many PADI diving manuals... - "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time", by Mark Haddon - "Do travel writers go to hell?" by Thomas Kohnstmann - 'Out of Africa' by Karen Blixen - 'Long Way Down, an African adventure' by Ewan McGregor - 'Las venas abiertas de América Latina' by Eduardo Galeano - 'Breve Historia del Paraguay' by Efraím Cardozo - 'Road Fever' by Tim Cahill - 'Bestiario'; 'Deshoras' by Julio Cortazar - 'In Patagonia', by Bruce Chatwin - 'The Gathering', by Anne Enright - 'Ficciones', by Jorge Luis Borges - 'Dona Flor e seus dois maridos', by Jorge Amado - 'The Alchemist', by Paulo Coelho - 'The Loss of El Dorado', by V.S. Naipaul - 'Around the World in 80 days', by Jules Verne - 'The Travels of Marco Polo', by Marco Polo - 'The Cleft', by Doris Lessing - 'Orientalism', by Edward Said - 'The King's last song', by Geoff Ryman - 'The Trial', by Franz Kafka - 'Shantaram', by Gregory David Roberts - 'A Thousand Splendid Suns', by Khaled Hosseini - 'Kite Runner', by Khaled Hosseini
... living, experiencing, interacting, knowing, connecting, exploring, doing, learning, teaching, touching, smelling, breathing, seeing, looking, listening, hearing, sensing, feeling, supporting, smiling, laughing, savouring, screaming, crying, hugging, kissing, loving, dancing, frowning, thinking, dreaming, creating, sharing, observing, analyzing, criticizing, helping, inspiring, energizing, fearing, believing, trusting, ...
"Yesterday is History, Tomorrow a Mystery, Today is a Gift, That's why it's called the Present"
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: These were some of the things that I lived in 2012:
* Started the year off in back home in Portugal with good old friends and family [note: my last time in Portugal had been in 2009] * Returned to China and got to celebrate yet another [Chinese] New Year, this time in Kunming (2011 in Guilin; 2010 in Taipei) * Traveled across South Asia, during the first half of the year: through China, Laos, Thailand, Myanmar/Burma, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE, Iran, Turkey) * Visited 7 new countries (Bangladesh, Pakistan, Iran, Bahrain, Qatar, El Salvador and Belize) * Explored more of countries I'd visited before (Southwest China, the tribal Northeast India, Kurdish Southeast Turkey, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, East Coast USA) * Got some full body painting during Holi ['The festival of colours'] (India) * Wasn't obviously going to miss my brother's graduation at Harvard Law School, along with my parents (U.S.A.) * Spent the second half of the year in Central America, in particular in Leon (Nicaragua), guiding volcanoes treks and also surfing volcanoes * Had my first [proper] Thanksgiving dinner, prepared by American friends, while in Nicaragua [with chicken instead of turkey] * Survived the 'Mayan end of the world' in the Mayan Riviera (Mexico) * Enjoyed a fun Christmas around Yucatan peninsula, surrounded by good friends and beautiful nature (Mexico) * Finished off the year revisiting a now "New 7 Wonder of the world", just before hitting the beach and dancing the old year away and welcoming the new one!
And to be a bit more specific... ... felt the Earth's roar at the crater of an active volcano, yet somehow didn't even feel a 7.9 earthquake... ... marveled at some of the world's highest mountains in the Hymalaya, at the magnificent Silk Road, and how so many metropolises can appear where there is only sand... ... was awestruck with the man-made rice terraces in China, crossed works of living engineering, hurt my neck looking at the tallest building on the planet... ... smelled the breath of wild rhinos; got licked by a tapir; dodged crocodiles while swimming in mangrove swamps... ... saw how diverse the Human world can (Hani, Dai, Lao, Thai, Mon, Shan, Bengali, Naga, Manipuri, Mizo, Sikh, Punjabi, Pashto, Balochi, Kurdish, Mennonite, Garifuna, Mayan, just to name a few)... ... played takraw with monks, cricket with street kids, went fishing with villagers... ... bathed in the warm Caribbean waters, the Bay of Bengal, black sand beaches in the Pacific, and some truly gorgeous waterfalls... ... entered the US without any problem even with evidence of visit [a.k.a. passport stamps] to Iran, Pakistan and other axis of evil countries... ... underwent several different emotional states: felt proud at/of my brother's graduation; was/am concerned about the environment and how people mistreat/ignore it; and cried due to tear gas in Bahrain... ... was enlightened at some of the world's top Universities, at Bodhgaya, and how people who have so little can be so happy... ... savoured the spiciest curries, the tenderest kebabs and the steamiest momos... ... gazed at the most astonishing sunrises and sunsets in a plain filled with thousands of pagodas, on top of a volcano overlooking other volcanoes, and at Manhattanhenge... ... got an in depth perspective on the lost empires of the Mayan, the Persian, the Mughal, the Ottoman... ... was thought by people to be: Chinese (really!), Pashtun, Iranian, Kashmiri, Arab, Turkish, and many different latin/latin-american nationalities... oh, and Jesus... ... roamed through deserts, jungles, mountains, volcanoes, valleys, megalopolises and villages like they were my backyard... ... rode a helicopter over a capital city, hitched a boat in turquoise-blue waters and a manure truck (doesn't really matter where, does it?)... ... fell in love with the not-so-well-known country of Nicaragua, with the [hospitality of] people from [perceived] evil countries; reinforced my love for the sub-continent... ... got the inside scoop on how huge oil tankers are dismantled; how oxcarts are still widely used; and how trucks, buses and rickshaws can be turned into works of art and still do their function...
So much more happened throughout this year which isn't mentioned above but what's most important:
> New friends (and also spending more time with old friends and family) > New experiences > Broader understanding of the world and its people ... and I personally had a lot of fun doing it all and am craving for more in 2013!
[There are a couple more collages of my nomadic wandering during 2013 and 2014, on my FB page]
I'd like to know what makes you YOU... and I'm happy to share what makes me ME
Albania, Andorra, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Plurinational State of, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Georgia, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Islamic Republic of, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Democratic People's Republic of, Korea, Republic of, Kosovo, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macao, Macedonia, Malaysia, Malta, Mauritania, Mexico, Moldova, Republic of, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Myanmar, Netherlands, Netherlands Antilles, Nicaragua, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, State of, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Romania, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, San Marino, Senegal, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Syrian Arab Republic, Taiwan, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Vatican City State, Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic of, Viet Nam, Virgin Islands, U.S., Western Sahara
China, Italy, Malaysia, Nicaragua, Portugal, Turkey, United Kingdom
Join Couchsurfing to see Ciro's full profile. It's free!View Full Profile