Shanghai, Shanghai Municipality, China
99% response rate · Last login 1 day ago
Join Couchsurfing to see ELLYSE's full profile. It's free!View Full Profile
!!!NO COUCH UNTIL AFTER 10th SEPTEMBER!!!
to visit more countries around the world... I've done enough of China right now!
IF YOU'RE ASKING ME FOR A COUCH: PLEASE START WITH READING THE COUCH INFORMATION SECTION CAREFULLY AND IN FULL!
IF YOU ASK ME TO CONTACT YOU / LOOK YOU UP / USE IN ANY WAY WECHAT OR FACEBOOK, YOU DIDN'T BOTHER READING MY PROFILE AND/OR YOU SENT ME A GENERIC COPY-PASTE MESSAGE.
Short story of my life is that I'm born in Singapore and stayed there for 2/3rds of my life, and then the remaining 1/3rd (and counting) here in Shanghai.
I currently work in last-minute international logistics. Sorry, I don't welcome questions about this, and dislike even more those who attempt to ask me to get them into the same job.
I moved to Shanghai for my studies in Sep 2003. I started as an undergrad student at Shanghai Conservatory of Music, majoring in traditional Chinese instrument performance.
In Sep 2008, I gained admission to Fudan University's English-taught Masters programme, majoring in Chinese Language & Culture. During my years at Fudan (and for a couple of years after) I was the vice-president and heavily involved in the activities of the university's Chinese orchestra.
Before I came to Shanghai, I'd never been to China before. In fact, my only trips out of Singapore were to Malaysia, Japan and North Korea. I've since then travelled extensively in mainland China, as well as trips to South Korea, Canada, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Germany, Thailand, Hungary, France, Morocco, Sweden, Mexico, Australia, India, Portugal, the USA, Argentina, Qatar, Italy, Macau, Poland, Slovakia, Romania, Spain, the Philippines, Israel, Indonesia, Luxembourg, Austria, New Zealand etc.
Travelling in the well-known as well as the off-the-beaten-path nooks and crannies of China, sometimes solo, I've been privileged to see a China that I believe many international students and expats in China don't.
--end of official CV blurb, start of ramblings--
Well, below are some thoughts that I jot down here from time to time which kinda describe me. Reading them might be helpful if you intend to surf with me (especially), or host, or just meet up.
* I usually like to spend time with my hosts and surfers when in the house. However there're just times (especially when I'm the host) when I don't really feel like interacting very much. Sometimes it's just me, or sometimes I'm just not really motivated to talk more to you (maybe you don't interest me that much? unfortunately). The latter can especially happen if you've been surfing longer than expected.
* If you cannot be bothered to read my profile and send me a copy-paste CSMail or CouchRequest, be warned that you will receive a rude answer from me as you haven't been polite enough to read before contacting me -- I do when I write to other people! If you're lucky you'll only get ignored. Sorry but I no longer have time to entertain random people who're interested in meeting just any human being and not me as a person. If you think I'm close-minded and unfriendly as a result of this then it's just as well that we do not meet.
HOW I PARTICIPATE IN COUCHSURFING
I currently rent a room in a 3-room apartment at Wujiaochang near Fudan University. For couch information, please refer to the "My Home" section.
Due to the nature of my job (which makes up most of my travel), I have to travel very light ie only carry-on luggage. Thus I will not have blankets, sheets or a sleeping bag.
I usually don't bring a towel, but if my host would really prefer that I bring one, I'm happy to buy one and leave it for the next surfer.
The good thing about having so little is that I won't be messing up your place! :)
Other than hosting and surfing
I'm usually happy to meet up for a chat/tea/meal/stroll in my neighbourhood if I'm in Shanghai -- sorry, I usually prefer not to go downtown. :) I can work with meal budgets of generally 10-50 RMB/pax, with a preference for around 20-30 RMB/pax for a meal. It makes me uncomfortable to eat with someone who's on such a shoestring budget that you cannot afford 10 RMB for a meal. On the other hand, I cannot afford to be spending more than 50 RMB on a regular meal, most of the time.
I don't usually go for gatherings as I don't function well in "mass group" kind of gatherings, I prefer to meet in groups of 2 to 6 people.
CouchSurfing is NOT a dating/"hook-up" site and I DO NOT appreciate any CSers thinking otherwise.
- Emilie Porry (F, France)
- Turner Wright (M, USA)
- David Becker (M, Germany)
- Jade/Xiaomeii (F, UK)
- Julie Blaquie (F, France)
- Danielle Song (F, China)
- Juyeon Gang (F, Korea)
- Ann Layman (F, USA)
- Xiaoyi & Qiuling (F and F on separate profiles, China)
- Marina Pacheco Nobre (F, Portugal)
- Lulu/Hui Ann (F, Malaysia)
- Anna Thorsteinsdottir & Gula (F & F friend on Anna's profile, Iceland)
- Aline Plumet (F, France)
- Wu Yue (F, China)
- Marlies Kolodziey (F, Germany)
- Sabine Krestel (F, Germany)
- Natalia Kompanets & Tasha (F & F friend on Natalia's profile, Russia)
- Hanna Kuivalainen (F, Finland)
- Federica Furlani (F, Italy)
- Jenny/JENIUS (F, Australia)
- Louise/ZEBRASOMA (F, USA-Hawaii)
- Tanya Bradanovich (F, Chile)
- Kelsey Howell & Kristen (F & F friend on Kelsey's profile, USA)
- Olivia Barber (F, UK)
- Kimberley Asal (F, Canada)
- Julie Michel (F, France)
- Liz Albinini (F, USA)
- Solveig Kirstine B (F, Denmark)
- Reno Luo (M, China)
- Guru Prasad (M, India)
- Jennifer Katanyoutanant (F, USA)
- Even Chen (F, Taiwan-Republic of China)
- Felix Kaess (M, Germany)
- Leonardo Canessa (M, USA)
- Xavier Theroux (M, Canada)
- Artus Junghans (M, Germany)
- Katie, Orla & Sharon (3 F sharing a profile, Ireland)
- Hong Junming (M, Singapore)
- Evelina/Elvis Leinonen & Hampus Hjellstrom (F & M on separate profiles, Sweden)
- Brunon Paul (M, Poland)
- Eric Shang (M, China)
- Richard Asher (M, South Africa)
- Eugene & Olga Vakulenko (married couple, Ukraine)
- Aoife Dunphy (F, Ireland)
- Elisa/PEHDEFIGO (F, Brazil)
- Simon Bambey (M, Germany/Canada)
- Mascha Menzel (F, Germany)
- Susi Roane & Nate (married couple, Germany/USA)
- Lucia (F, Spain)
- Alex Zhossan (M, Ukraine)
- Niila Tamminen, Hertta & Juha-Pekka (M, F friend & M friend all on Niila's profile, Finland)
- Eugene Pidlisnyi (M, Ukraine)
- Robert Siemer (M, Germany)
- Markus Nowak (M, Germany)
- Donald Seinen (M, the Netherlands)
- Emilie Jaspers & Martine (F & F friend on Emilie's profile, Denmark)
- Mak Kayee (F, Hong Kong)
- Ga Rick Lee (M, Australia)
- Kotaro Aoki (M, Japan)
- Jing Mai (M, USA)
- Haruna Kawakami (F, Japan)
- Keno Haverkamp & Marius Suhrcke (M & M on separate profiles, Germany)
- Erika Alatalo (F, Finland)
- Larissa Viola Li (F, Germany)
- Jason Walsh (M, UK)
- Daphnee Laforest (F, Canada)
- Hsieh Peiju (F, Taiwan)
- Victor Janisels & Michel Larsson (M & M on separate profiles, Sweden)
- Kattalin Bidegain (F, France)
- Obel (M, Malaysia)
- Paolo Rivetti (M, Italy)
- Marcin Nestorowicz (M, Poland)
- Hilde Ovreeide (F, Norway)
- Kim Arontaus (M, Sweden)
- Jakub/Kuba Grochowski (M, Poland)
- Huang Pei-Ling (F, Taiwan-Republic of China) (Reverse host!)
- Marco Devigili (M, Italy)
- Fanny Sun (F, China)
- Angie Yuan (F, China)
- Ayal/Holy Moses (M, Israel)
- Anthony Sweeting (M, USA)
- Marko Asanovic (M, Austria)
- Fabio Berzaghi & Lisbeth Sandvik (M & F on separate profiles, Italy & Denmark)
- Dima Lapshin & Vasya Subachev (M & M on separate profiles, Russia)
- Jan Reichert (M, Germany)
- Lisa Boubou (F, France)
- Daniel Burnham (M, USA)
- Paulina Wyzykowska & Rebekah Oakley (F & F on separate profiles, Poland & UK)
- Marina Gajdosova (F, Slovakia)
- Walter Grunt (M, Germany)
- Daniel Lang (M, Austria)
- Greta Henau (F, Belgium)
- Florian Denax (M, France)
- Gonzalo Lerea (M, Argentina)
- Ksenia Bramley (F, UK)
- Olivia Payan (F, France)
- Natasha Tonkova (F, Russia)
- Bastian Roos (M, Germany)
- Rocky Qiu (M, China)
- Aga Drankowska (F, Poland)
- Leandro GP Junior & Justina Venckunaite (M & F on separate profiles, Brazil & Lithuania)
- Florian Denax (M, France)
- Juan Pedro Aramburu (M, Peru)
- Stephane & Laure Ricordel (M & F sharing a profile, France)
- Pedro Costa (M, Portugal)
- Leo/LEOFAROUT (M, Canada)
- Francisco Felgueras (M, Argentina)
- Paul Madura (M, USA)
- Nico Ratti (M, Italy)
- Paula-G & Sara Zironi (F & F on separate profiles, Argentina)
- Paul Koci (M, USA)
- Kenneth Li (M, Hong Kong)
- Hector (M, Spain)
- Fabian Ng (M, Singapore)
- Magali Yance (F, Argentina)
- Leopold Lucas (M, Australia)
- Gerald Dino (M, Philippines)
- Yan Shiliang (M, China)
- Julie Ladaique (F, France)
- Cassandra Toney & Marit Eriksson (F & F on separate profiles, USA & Sweden)
- Jacqueline Gotterbarm (F, Chile)
- Joel Teklu (M, USA)
- David Carriles (M, Canada)
- Jordy De Vries (M, the Netherlands)
- Lea Croset (F, France)
- Silvia Tolo (F, Italy)
- Jason Mitchell (M, USA)
- Rao Chenyu (M, China)
- Anya Cosse (F, USA)
- Stephen Burger & Erin (M & F sharing a profile, Canada)
- Franz Eysoldt (M, Germany)
- Mark Rodriguez (M, USA)
- Dan Tweyman (M, Canada)
- Tatsuya Kato & Rika Sakaguchi (M & F on Tatsuya's profile, Japan)
- Bill Zhou (M, China)
- Alexander Schwab (M, Germany)
- Jonathan & Arpita Monahan (married couple, Canada)
- Lesley Furnell (F, Canada)
- Paul Meadows (M, UK)
- Philipp von Drachenfels & Alex Moldovianu (M & M on separate profiles, Germany)
- Ada Kerserho (F, France)
- Kieran Cullen (M, Ireland)
- Yang Tianhui (M, China)
- Inda Diningsih (F, Indonesia)
- Adam Tohn (M, USA)
- Jill Novak (F, Luxembourg)
- Laura Cabochan (F, Philippines)
- Dorota & Bartek (married couple, Poland)
- Jocelyn Spencer (F, USA)
- Lysander Bresinsky & Fabian Rauschel (M & M on separate profiles, Germany)
- Liu Yi'ou (M, China)
- Agnieszka Mlodzinska (F, Poland)
- Martin Kreshon & Liam Conner (M & M on separate profiles, USA & Australia)
- Scream Xiang (M, China)
- Natalia Kniaz & Chris Kolatkowshi (F & M sharing a profile, Austria & Poland)
- Simon Madsen (M, Denmark)
- Flavia Felletti (F, Italy)
- Sandra Pechenard (F, France)
- Sill Roelofs (F, the Netherlands)
- Joost Knaap (M, the Netherlands)
- Peter Alrich (M, USA)
- Bruno Santos (M, Brazil)
- Daniel Viera (M, Spain)
- Christine Frank (F, Austria)
- Christoffer Jevring (M, Sweden)
- Maryline Tagliabue (F, France)
- Julian (M, Colombia)
- Minik Daorana Julen (M, Sweden)
- Daniel Clough & Rakh Hargett (M and M on separate profiles, USA)
- Mery Bonato (F, Italy)
- Arif Nasser (M, Canada)
- Konstantin Pollanz (M, Austria)
- Omer Kocan (M, Turkey)
- Rebecca Riess (F, USA)
- Michael Bydlon (M, France)
- Kieran Burke (M, UK)
- Victor Tarykin (M, Ukraine)
- Alec Diao (M, China)
- Zhou Shucheng (F, China)
- Elka Lupunen & Jemina Noutia (F & F on separate profiles, Finland)
- Andrea Iacopini (M, Italy)
- Milind Parhekar (M, India)
- Dan Stoddart (M, South Africa)
- Rick Arendt (M, Germany)
- Yanay Zabary (M, Israel)
- Zsofia Rostas & Kornel Rostas (F & M on separate profiles, Hungary)
- Thomas Zhao (M, China)
- David Weldon (M, USA)
- Tania Astans (F, Iran)
- Nancy Buswell (F, Xi'an, China)
- Jennifer, Manfred & family (family, Xining, China)
- Raine Chaw (F, Shanghai, China)
- Mike Shaw (M, Beijing, China)
- Maxime Rochette (M, Xuzhou, China)
- Amanda Spethman (F, Seoul, Korea)
- Ervin Lawrence (M, Tokyo, Japan)
- Simon Green (M, Budapest, Hungary)
- Robbie Stone (M, Paris, France)
- Eric/Infamous (M, Paris, France) (Negative)
- Jude Cabal (M, Chicago, USA)
- Orlando Mongalo (M, Los Angeles, USA)
- Jenn Lauren (F, Los Angeles, USA)
- Meddy Berggren (F, Budapest, Hungary)
- Kent Foster (M, Budapest, Hungary)
- Nicolas Sahlqvist (M, Goteburg, Sweden)
- Tina/TINYTOON (F, Dusseldorf, Germany)
- Sanne/MICKYMAUS (F, Frankfurt, Germany)
- Chris Pendley (M, Atlanta, USA)
- Walter Fruge & Nicki Deering (M & F on separate profiles, Detroit, USA)
- Alma Ruiz (F, Monterrey, Mexico)
- Zeke Torres (M, Los Angeles, USA)
- Emily Wang (F, Mainz, Germany)
- Daniel Grayson & Peter (M & M sharing a profile, Melbourne, Australia)
- Sheree B & Dennis (married couple, Yangzhou, China)
- Dave/KAPTAINDAVE (M, Los Angeles, USA)
- Lis Worcester & Jade (F & daughter, San Francisco, USA)
- Yanto Young (M, Tokyo, Japan)
- Huang Pei-Ling (F, Taipei, Taiwan-Republic of China)
- Lynn Chen (F, Taipei, Taiwan-Republic of China)
- Stephen McIntyre-Coleman (M, Taoyuan, Taiwan-Republic of China)
- Amy & Ayax Carr (married couple on separate profiles, Seoul, Korea)
- Chris Shirley & Mel (married couple, Seoul, Korea)
- Rose McNulty & Shane (F & M sharing a profile, Busan, Korea)
- Steve Nelson & Bethany (M & F sharing a profile, Tongyeong, Korea)
- Sarah Burn (F, Sokcho, Korea)
- Bobby Post (M, Suwon, Korea)
- Mok Youngju (F, Seoul, Korea)
- Emily Rosenberg (F, Fukuoka, Japan)
- Jason Braun (M, Chicago, USA)
- Bruno Pulido Ponce de Leon (M, Mexico City, Mexico)
- Jason Mankowski (M, Chicago, USA)
- Michelle Racine (F, Toronto, Canada)
- Katie Bhathena (F, Mumbai, India)
- Tom Prusinski (M, San Antonio, USA)
- Gio Navarrete (M, San Francisco, USA)
- Jeff Klassy (M, Los Angeles, USA)
- Marina Grachova & Kamil Uszynski (F & M on separate profiles, Bangkok, Thailand)
- Nuno Carvalho (M, Porto, Portugal)
- Luis Cunha (M, Macau, Macau)
- Elisabetta Curtino (F, Milan, Italy)
- Federica Furlani (F, Milan, Italy) (Reverse host!)
- Sandro S (M, Milan, Italy)
- Tony Chambers (M, Adelaide, Australia)
- Randy Fang (M, Hong Kong, Hong Kong)
- Stano Bocinec & Miska Soviarova (M & F on separate profiles, Bratislava, Slovakia)
- Zsuzsa Gorskova (F, Budapest, Hungary)
- Paolo/CADETTO (M, Milan, Italy)
- Marco Corti (M, Como, Italy)
- Jens Roth (M, Nuremberg, Germany)
- Jeni Ruseva (F, Shanghai, China)
- Robin/ROBTOID (M, Freising, Germany)
- Kasia, Jacek & family (family, Warsaw, Poland)
- Brandon Gary (M, Shanghai, China)
- Pedro Lerias & Claudia (M & F on Pedro's profile, Lisbon, Portugal)
- Karsten Hillmann (M, Frankfurt, Germany)
- Karen Heu (F, Lantau, Hong Kong)
- Ron Sattar (M, Chicago, USA)
- Daniel Burnham (M, Chicago, USA) (Reverse host!)
- Guillaume Haye (M, Paris, France)
- Mehul Tanna (M, Kowloon, Hong Kong)
- Andreas von Knoblech (M, Heidelberg, Germany)
- Steffen Gartner (M, Wuerzburg, Germany)
- Jonathan/JON007 (M, Madrid, Spain)
- Anish Aryan (M, Shanghai, China)
- Nicholas Chiu (M, Kaohsiung, Taiwan-Republic of China)
- Marcin Nestorowicz (M, Piaseczno (near Warsaw), Poland) (Reverse host!)
- Jan Domanski (M, Warsaw, Poland)
- Emilio Lopez Ibarra (M, Aguascalientes, Mexico)
- Bob Leitelt (M, Chicago, USA)
- Christina Huang Chiung-Chen (F, Kaohsiung, Taiwan-Republic of China)
- Jino Acojedo (M, Imus, the Philippines)
- Kary Ramirez (F, Mexico City, Mexico)
- Judy Monsivais (F, Mexico City, Mexico)
- Jill Novak (F, Troisverges, Luxembourg) (Reverse host!)
- Par Akerstrom (M, Sydney, Australia)
- Robert Pickup (M, Canberra, Australia)
- Elizabeth Alford (F, Sydney, Australia)
- Eugene Dawson (M, Bangkok, Thailand)
- Bruno Santana (M, Sintra, Portugal)
- Tayo (F, Narita, Japan)
- Antonia Helena (F, Ikeda (near Osaka), Japan)
- Takashi Ueda (M, Kyoto, Japan)
- Erika Alatalo (F, Goteburg, Sweden) (Reverse host!)
- Jack Zietsch (M, Munich, Germany)
- Ben Nelson (M, Dallas, USA)
- Eszter Julia (F, Vienna, Austria)
- Ted DesMaisons (M, Daly City, USA)
- Abhijeet Giri (M, San Francisco, USA)
- Paul Logan (M, Hong Kong, Hong Kong)
No.1 on the list is travel, of course! I'm quite a history/culture bum, and love going to museums -- though not the ones that look like someone's dusty, abandoned storeroom. However I've also learnt from recent experience that going to museums where I can't understand the exhibit captions (due to language barriers) can be quite disappointing.
Scenery is also a plus with me, but I'm not very athletic and hate climbing! But for a good view I can always consider. ;) I was about halfway up the Dom in Koln when I thought to myself "why did I think this is a good idea?!" ROFL!
Food, glorious food! I love sampling local food wherever I travel, and always try to look up the local specialties and recommended eating spots. My favourite ingredients (cooked in any way) are potatoes and cheese; I stay clear of coriander (cilantro) and celery, and avoid bell peppers as much as possible. No insects in my diet either... eeks! :( As for fruits, I love durian -- in any form as long as it's not rotten!
Unfortunately I can't cook (unless you mean stuff that you just add hot water to ie instant noodles) -- but I can help with cutting, chopping and cleaning if you don't mind that I'm quite a klutz.
Scrabble and other board/card games are a hit with me! So if you're an avid fellow gamer, please look me up! I'm especially keen to play Scrabble somewhat competitively, as it's difficult to find comparable players in mainland China.
Music is another of my passions. For more details, please refer to the Music section below. I also really love going to sing karaoke so if you'd like to go for a session (it's a very Chinese/Asian thing, good culture experience!) please drop me a line!
When travelling, I also like to take some time to write and send postcards, to myself and a few close friends. I'm pretty fanatical about getting them posted in the city which they're from, so sometimes when I can't find stamps or a mailbox they end up waiting months for me to visit that city again and bring them back there to be posted. Those whom I write too usually find copious essays squashed into the available writing space.
Oh, I also like collecting Hard Rock Café T-shirts. In fact, they're almost the only new clothes I've bought in some time. My favourite is one that I bought in Macau, not really a T-shirt but a more girlie top. Another obsolete souvenir is the one from Mexico City, I almost went to refund it but refunds were, strangely, not permitted at this particular outlet. A year later, I found that it had closed, so it was lucky I didn't refund it!
Chatting with friends and reading in English are also good ways to spend my time. However please note that I do NOT enjoy discussions/questions about my Chinese name, my work (most of the time) and religion/politics/Tibet (really not interested, nothing to do with the Chinese government).
I play a wide variety of traditional Chinese music instruments, mostly plucked-string. I enjoy listening to Chinese orchestral and instrumental music -- Western classical music tends to put me to sleep, unfortunately. I also write rearrangements, the best effort so far is this one: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTg4ODI0Mjc2.html
I also love musicals and my favourites are Miss Saigon, Evita and Les Miserables. I've only been able to see a few musicals live, namely Miss Saigon (Singapore), Forbidden City (Singapore), Phantom of the Opera (Shanghai), Starlight Express (Hong Kong) and Lion King (Sydney).
As a spin-off, I also really enjoy listening to the fantastic voice of Sarah Brightman. Favourites among her songs include La Pasione and A Question of Honour.
I also like some Chinese pop songs, though perhaps a bit outdated. I like going to karaoke, if you're interested we could always try to get enough people to go together.
Reading for leisure/enjoyment will definitely be in English. I do understand Chinese, but I read much easier and faster in English.
I enjoy Harry Potter be it in print or on screen -- as long as it's in English. I also liked George Orwell's Animal Farm, and would be keen to read Iris Chang's Rape of Nanking.
The only Chinese books I'll pick up of my own accord are travel guidebooks -- I especially enjoy the ones by Taiwan and Hong Kong publishers.
However, I do sometimes make exceptions to the "no Chinese" rule. I enjoy the novels of Lu Xun, and Bai Xianyong's anthology Taipei People. I've read these with English-Chinese translation.
I tend to go for films that have some travel, historical or musical background, or those in the kids/family genre. I don't enjoy scary/ghost movies at all. Here're some of my favourites:
- Les Miserables (2012 version)
- The Soong Sisters (Chinese language)
- Up in the Air
- Harry Potter series
- Ice Age series
- Happy Feet series
- Home Run (watched this Singaporean adaption of the famous Iranian film 4 times in the cinema!)
- Amadeus (watched countless times onboard planes)
- Letters to Juliet
Others movies that I currently like, but which might not make it to my lasting list of favourites, are: Paddington, Woman in Gold, American Dreams in China (Chinese language), The Royal Tailor (Korean language), The Hundred-Foot Journey, Guten Tag Ramon (German/Spanish languages), Frau Ella (German language)
Travel and food programmes are definitely my cup of tea, especially food-cum-travel programmes by Taiwan and Hong Kong TV.
As for drama serials, I like anything produced in Hong Kong. I also like certain Taiwan idol dramas (eg MVP Lover) and some mainland Chinese drama serials, mainly the period dramas. In English, the only ones I've watched are The L Word, The Tudors, The Reign and The White Queen; for Korean ones, I've only watched Dae Jang Geum. I don't watch Japanese ones at all.
- Apr 2002: 3-week fully-paid-for trip to North Korea
- May 2008: riding a camel and an ostrich on the same day, at Shapotou (northwest China)
- Sep 2010: spending almost 2 full days at Guadalajara airport because of missing luggage
- Dec 2010: 90 hours, 8 flights, 5 airlines, 1 RTW... and the same repeated 1 week later with more airlines and flights in the equation!
- May 2011: spending my birthday in 3 different cities: Tokyo, Shanghai and Shaoxing
- Aug 2011: eating a local Korean delicacy which arrived at our table still moving in the wok, then seeing more live ones cooked in the traditional way... see it for yourself and it's definitely Fear Factor-worthy :P
- Jun 2012: sent off to fly to the Philippines with a couple of hours' notice, without knowing where exactly nor how long for, and without knowing anything about the plane tickets!
- Dec 2012: getting a visa run to Taipei for almost no money at all, thanks to mileage and a VDB compensation on the flight back
- Feb 2013: being recognised (in a good way) by an American Airlines flight attendant on a flight, a few months after I originally met her on another American Airlines flight
- Mar 2013: getting stamped by exactly the same immigration officer in Frankfurt enroute to/back from Portugal
- May 2013: enjoying the rooftop of the Milan Duomo
- May 2013: going for a daytrip with a CSer whom I later found out shares my birthday
- Sep 2013: sunset on Halong Bay, Vietnam
visited 35 states (15.5%)Create your own visited map of The World
create your personalized map of europe
visited 5 states (10%)Create your own visited map of The United States
I'm extremely well-travelled in mainland China, especially in Shanghai and the neighbouring provinces of Jiangsu and Zhejiang, so you won't go wrong asking me to help with your travel plans and logistics!
I can also help with travelling in Korea (especially Seoul) and Taiwan (especially Taipei).
It would be nice to improve any of the languages that I'm a Beginner in, especially French and Korean pronunciation and vocabulary, as well as making decent sentences.
I majored in Chinese instrumental music for my basic degree and I'm currently the vice president of the Fudan University Chinese Orchestra. Our practices are on Tue afternoons, sectionals on various weekday nights and you're welcome to sit in if you're interested.
Otherwise, with a working Internet connection, I can show you online videos of our performances, including one of my rearrangements.
I can also play piano (Trinity performance certificate) and a bit of cello and double bass.
If you're wondering about getting yourself a decent Chinese name, I also like helping with that. :) I try to give names that sound "normal" and have some kind of relation in meaning and sound to your original name, not just simply translating your original name or slapping you with a Chinese name that has nothing to do with you. So, be prepared to tell me more about your original name if you want a good Chinese one!
Argentina, Australia, Austria, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Macao, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, North Korea, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Slovakia, South Korea, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, Viet Nam
Join Couchsurfing to see ELLYSE's full profile. It's free!View Full Profile