- 92% response rate
- Last login 4 minutes ago
Join Couchsurfing to see heyhurly’s full profile. It’s free!
You can read my references but I am constantly learning and changing so don't rely on it too much :)
It's been said many times before but, really, travelling is such an enriching experience - it has been for me. I had the opportunity to think about the social conditioning and behaviours and I am trying to be free of all this, of the ego - trying to unlearn and relearn ideas and perspectives. I love to learn, discover, explore and maybe have political conversations, questioning about the ways we think and live our lives in many different perspectives.
I consider myself a true tester of open mindedness. It's another cliché that people use to describe themselves but I really like learning and experiencing different things.
I quit my job in 2013 to start travelling the world starting with an intense backpacking trip in South America. In 2014 I travelled around Europe and for 42 days, I walked about 900 kilometers from France to the Atlantic coast of Spain and documented the trip on htttp://www.facebook.com/WeAreAllPilgrims
Now, 2015, I am in Asia, on the 3rd year of my traveling.
My personal blog: http://www.iamhurly.com
I also started a social project across Brasil where I took pictures of people that I've met and asked them about what it means for them to be Brasilian:
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
I've been a member of couchsurfing even before it became really popular like it is now. I am here because I am genuinely interested in meeting people, learning about other cultures as well as experiencing the different ways life can be lived and understood through the exchange that happens between hosts and guests.
outdoors, canoeing, camping, hiking, WRITING, journalism, photography, carpentry, arts, crafts, massage, spirituality, meditation, movies, music, film and video making/editing, philosophy, psychology, sexuality, languages, history, CULTURE, politics, activism, human rights, environment, making things out of stuff, etc
Music, Movies, and Books
Since I've travelled, my interests have become more diverse than before. I do like to read socio-cultural, political and historical articles. I like to also listen and watch local music and film wherever I am.
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
I've met so many people who have travelled so much longer and so much more than me but I feel like even though it's only been a couple of years, I have had soooo many amazing experiences and stories.
- I've walked 900 kms from France to Spain. Walking everyday for many many kilometers is such a powerful, meditative experience.
- Travelling in the Amazonas of Brazil is indescribable. I spent many days traveling by boat and sleeping on a hammock, hanging out and sharing with the locals.
- I've worked for not-for-profit organizations/NGO's in Colombia and Brazil serving underprivileged and marginalized communities
- the entire South American experience and meeting beautiful, amazingly warm and friendly people
- Hitchhiked across Canada doing an awareness project on discrimination, doing workshops, talks and interviews
- surfed with many interesting and awesome couchsurfing hosts who showed me beautiful and alternative ways of living - nudism, sustainable, living off the grid living, organic/local/traditional farming, dumpster diving, etc
- diving in Thailand, seeing a very alien world underwater
- seeing the Northern Lights for the first time driving home from a long hike in Northern Ontario, Canada
- so many other personal stories with people and travellers i've met along the way
Teach, Learn, Share
Couchsurfing, for me, is about sharing, teaching and learning. If you are my guest or host, I chose to be with you because I feel that you share these basic principles of CS.
I can teach and share my knowledge in languages, writing, gardening, cooking, meditation, video and film editing/photography, canoeing, art, crafts, how to walk the Camino with a tent, and travelling on a budget, getting the cheapest flights, hostels, etc... or anything I know and have experience with.
I'd love to learn how to play a musical instrument, learn more language, woodwork, yoga, massage and meditation. But I like learning in general so you can teach me anything!
What I Can Share with Hosts
All of what is written above (Teach, Learn, Share) and of course, great company and friendship! :)
Countries I’ve Visited
Argentina, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Colombia, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Sint Maarten (Dutch part), Spain, Switzerland, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States
Countries I’ve Lived In
Brazil, Canada, Colombia, France, Philippines, Thailand