Wants to Meet Up
- Last login over 2 years ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Mei’s full profile. It’s free!
For me, home is where loved ones and good food can be found - preferably in the same room :)
I'm a communications consultant, writing coach and ESL teacher from Malaysia. Right now I'm in Santiago, fulfilling a lifelong dream of visiting and travelling around South America.
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
- To meet Chileans who want to meet travellers like me :)
- To meet fellow travellers and swap stories about adventures in South America or anywhere one of us has been that the other has been/will go to soon.
- To hang out and cook and of course EAT with other foodies in Santiago.
- And to explore the possibility of surfing until I finally have a place of my own to host people in.
- Cooking and eating. In any order. Then wash, rinse, repeat.
- Talk about random topics like etymology and entomology, books, music, movies, whether living in Hawaii is as cool as it looks in movies and how to prep yourself for Iguazu Falls.
- Jamming - I can sing and play about 6 chords on the ukulele. Don''t mock it till you've heard it! ;)
- Sketching and watercolours.
- Mild hiking would be great too (distances are OK, but no climbing - I have a bad knee).
- rock climbing
Music, Movies, and Books
I love listening to a little bit of jazz and a little bit of Americana/light country: Stacey Kent, Over The Rhine, Hem, James Taylor, Trisha Yearwood, Keith Urban, Paul Simon.
If you're looking for a movie buddy, I'm open to almost any genre except maybe the next Transformers flick... last one was a letdown. Otherwise, anything from Mad Max to rom-coms is fine by me. A couple of films that left an impact were Departures (Japanese movie about a cellist-turned-mortician) and El Secreto de Sus Ojos (Argentinian crime thriller). The rest of the time it's police procedurals (CSI, Elementary, Criminal Minds, etc) on Netflix!
Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, James Herriot and random assorted fantasy or non-fiction.
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
Once, when a good campus job was hard to come by, I signed up to feed caterpillars for an entomology lab in the University of Hawaii at Manoa. It turned out to be one of the coolest experiences I ever had. Bug scientists are really fun people with a wonderful sense of humor, and I still miss the little koa moth caterpillars I used to babysit during my stint at the lab.
Teach, Learn, Share
I can teach you how to make good Asian fusion stir-fry, curries and some simple Thai dishes!
Other skills that I can teach or that might be of interest: Show you how to use an old-style sewing machine, how to make batik (tjanting style), speak conversational Malay (Bahasa Malaysia).
What I Can Share with Hosts
I've been exploring the prospects for teaching English as a Second Language in Santiago and would be happy to share what I've learnt with other travellers who hope to job-seek and embark on the relevant visa application processes as well.
Countries I’ve Visited
Argentina, Brazil, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Germany, India, Mexico, Nepal, Singapore, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, Viet Nam
Countries I’ve Lived In
Chile, India, Singapore, United States