- 99% response rate
- Last login about 10 hours ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Irenäus’s full profile. It’s free!
IMPORTANT NOTE: Since CS-management decided to mess up the reference-system I must ask you to send me MESSAGE if you want to request my couch, DON'T use the "Send Request" button!
Please USE the blue envelope button. Usually i will come back to you within a few hours. Those who use the "Send Request" button, will be auto-declined.
I may even leave a neutral/negative reference if I see that the request is all too shamelessly copypaste :(
**** PLEASE READ 'MY HOME'-INFO ****
I DON'T HOST COUPLES, triples, etc. no matter how sweet, small, whatever your pals are. ONLY 1 PERSON at a time :) ...and MINIMUM-STAY 4 nights
Since Nov.18 2014 CS-Management has messed up the site for good! Please see here for more info about me:
due to amassing crappy requests I feel forced to say: PLEASE READ the 'HOME'-INFO at least! I am serious with what I am saying there, especially the last part and I can get pretty nasty/indecent with all you fff's (frigging-facebook-freeloaders) out there :p
Striving to catch the spirit of different countries, persons and landscapes; nice view-,sunrise-,sunset-fanatic. lightnings (seen from a safe place) are one of my favourites too.
"...I don't feel right unless I've got the sea and the mountains nearby. People are mostly a product of where they were born and raised. How you think and feel's always linked to the lay of the land, the temperature. The prevailing winds even." H.Murakami, Kafka on the shore
trying to enjoy life without harming environment or others more than necessary.
...when they ask me 'all about you'......I think 'all' is such a small word that wants to embrace way too many things. and the essential things are beyond words anyway...
oh, but I can say that I am INFJ ...that should explain as well why I am NOT on facebook really ... the connection that may show here is nothing but a dummy-account to raise my % on CS... ridiculous, I know :)
watching out for moments of beauty and peace / hoping that we learn how to SHRINK globally without too bad disruptions, both in terms of GDP and population-wise; This planet is dying coz of the believe in unlimited growth with limited resources. *** asking why CS-management is determined to ruin this site...
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
I am with CS still DESPITE the recent (2014-11) terrible functionality-downgrade and shift towards facebook-shallowness.
Before 2014-11 there was a section called:
OPINION ON COUCHSURFING PROJECT
It seems CS-management can't stand critics, so I feel obliged to put it here:
it's such a nice way to feel the soul-breeze of distant places through the person + I like the idea of paying your stay with your being, the way you really are instead of with impersonal money; your human qualities are your currency. Beware though, this currency is as unstable as our fluctuating moods :)
5.1 You Grant Us a License. By submitting any content (including without limitation, your photograph) to our Site, you hereby grant us a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use, reproduce, display, perform, adapt, modify, distribute, have distributed and promote such content in any form, in all media now known or hereinafter created and for any purpose.
I have borrowed the following subtle - and legally binding - disclaimer from Artur Kowalski's profile (thanks):
NB: I explicitly exclude all pictures and content of this profile from the 5.1 section and grant no license for reproduction at all. All rights reserved © Irenäus
Other than that, I think CS is great.
update 2011-08: Since CS became a B-corp I am afraid I'll have to revise that last sentence.
I fear the worst and hope the best for the future of CS.
the new ToU are even worse than the old ones -
Therefore I state that all information, data, pictures, videos or written text on my profile are the property of Irenaeus.
Copying, dissemination or any unauthorised use of the profile content without my express authorisation is forbidden.
I declare that article 5.3 Copyright and licence of the CS rules are contrary to the laws of the European Union. I retain the rights to any information I have published on my profile or group forums as my exclusive property.
- books (rather outdated authors)
- human sciences
- comparative science of religions
- philosophy (before 1900 rather; you can chase me with existentialism for example)
- deutsch english italiano español thai
- sexuality as a wonderful form of communication
- Traditional chinese medicine
- martial arts
- sophisticated&healthy food
- roaming around grounds higher than 1800m
- joyful silence in *intelligent landscapes*...
- sleeping in a car overviewing those landscapes
- investigating into Taoism, Buddhism, Gnosticism and the various archetypes and cultures on this planet, happy when finding specks of consistency amidst the chaos in this world.
- performing arts
- martial arts
- urban exploration
- intelligent landscapes
- sleeping in a car over viewing those landscapes
- ...but not existentialism :p
Music, Movies, and Books
- C.G.Jung: "It is a desperate matter that mankind is not homogeneous but consists of individuals whose mental horizon embrace 10000 years [in spiritual development], past AND future."
and for those who believe in their 5 senses exclusively:
"Consciousness is but a small island amidst the ocean of Unconscious." C.G.Jung, Psychology and Religion
- and a good old neoplatonic wisdom: "the soul is only delivered after it has undergone every possible human experience."
That looks like a long to-do-list... and it would explain a lot of human deeds, the most heroic AND the most cruel ones.
- Chuang Tsu - Outer Chapters XVI
"Those whom the ancients called 'Retired Scholars' did not conceal themselves; they did not shut up themselves in silence; they did not hide their knowledge. Just the conditions of their times were very much confused. When the conditions of the times allowed them to act, they proceeded in a magnificent way; ... When they did not encounter those times and conditions, their action was entirely impossible; so they struck their roots deeper (in themselves) were perfectly still and waited. It was thus that they preserved (the Way in) themselves."
- Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge:'What was your Yogi like ? what had he got that particularly attracted you ?" Larry looked at me for a full minute before answering. His eyes in their deep sockets seemed as though they were trying to pierce to the depths of my soul. "Saintliness." I was slightly disconcerted by his reply. In that room, with its fine furniture, with those lovely drawings on the walls, the word fell like a plop of water that has seeped through the ceiling from an overflowing bath. ... And what did you gain from it ?" "Peace," he said casually, with a light smile.'
want similar stuff ?
Anton Chekhov, The Steppe:
"Father Christopher never left off gazing with wonder at this world, and smiling, without speaking, he brooded over something pleasant and nice, and a kindly, genial smile remained imprinted on his face. It seemed as though some beautiful and cheery thought were imprinted on his brain by the heat... This thought craved expression after he had had a drink of water and eaten a hard-boiled egg. He bent a friendly look upon Yegorushka, munched, and began talking..."
I really love Chekhov for his friendly, all too friendly studies of human natures - and their connection with landscapes, particularly in this novel.
- "ReligionS are not necessarily good or evil. They are huge manifestations of spirit and it is not within our power to rule over them." (C.G.Jung - letters I 1906-1945)
- Carl Gustav Jung
- Anton Chechov
- Somerset Maugham
- Saint-Exupery, apart from 'little prince' he wrote some heavy stuff
- Chuang Tsu (Taoism - Inner and Outer Chapters, transl. by Richard Wilhelm)
- Haruki Murakami
- Oswald Spengler (the decline of the west)
- Joseph Campbell (the masks of God)
- Marshall McLuhan (the Gutenberg galaxy)
- Heinrich Zimmer (philosophies of India)
...and a few more
Baroque: Rameau, Vivaldi, Haendel, Albinoni and the less well known like Scarlatti, Avison, Tartini, Geminiani, J.F.Rebel, Monn, Purcell, Gaspar Sanz...).
Trance: Paul Oakenfold (the way he is uniting, splitting again, tying up 3,4,5..different kinds of rhythms, i.e. feelings of happiness, melancholy, creeping perils, rising hopes.. I find absolutely unique, comparable only to the genii of the aforementioned baroque music. It is a very abstract music, definitely not for mainstream-ears, you need patience to appreciate it... and one has to discount, cut out, though, the around 95% trash he is obviously forced to produce by the music industry.), Oaki again-destiny knocking..., Ferry Corsten, Nick Warren.
- In treatment (psychology applied),
- Dead Zone, Science Fiction in general,
- The Wire,
- Breaking Bad; I didn't think I can stand it but yes, I got addicted to it :p
some italian commedies like R.Benigni, N.Moretti ("non conosci la Sacher-Torte ? - No - bene, continuamo a farci del male"), M.Troisi
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
I would call it experiences rather, minor enlightenments - if it was the big one I would not be writing this ;)
- things that make me really happy, like experiencing short but intense moments of harmony, with nature or with living beings; when reading the 'right' books and gaining some deeper insight into how things work, are connected in ways I never could imagine before.
- the silence at night on a 1800m mountain all by myself
- the cry of a seagull together with the atmosphere recognized in one of my favourite pieces of music
- beginning to understand the magic of a Zen-stone-garden in Kyoto, Japan
- the slightly stirred surface of the sea in the English Channel which, due to the position of the sun at that moment, resembled molten silver
- the silence of a desert in Egypt... we could learn a lot from silence in certain places if we understood how to listen to it.
Teach, Learn, Share
see above... and:
What I Can Share with Hosts
SINCE NOV.18 2014 CS-MANAGEMENT HAS TOTALLY MESSED UP THE SITE ! PLEASE SEE HERE FOR MORE INFO ABOUT ME:
Countries I’ve Visited
Australia, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Estonia, France, Hungary, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Malaysia, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Taiwan, Tunisia, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States
Countries I’ve Lived In