Not Accepting Guests
- Last login 1 day ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Jane’s full profile. It’s free!
My life has undoubtably been shaped by my travel experiences. I love meeting new people and find so much inspiration in new perspectives, new environments and new experiences.
I have lived the majority of my life in Canada but have spent several lengthy chapters in various corners of the earth. 2005-2007 in a small town near Hiroshima, Japan. I was teaching English on the JET Programme and had the good fortune to be able to travel much of South East Asia during my down time. My best friend and I then carried on to Australia where we traveled the North East to South East coast and then settled in Sydney for a year. I then moved to London from 2009-2010 to continue studies in Audio Engineering. And my nomadic tendencies have settled and I am back home in Canada and appreciating - finally - being home.
These last few years especially I feel like I've finally opened up my eyes. 'Learning and growing' were always a goal but it felt very abstract. I feel like I've finally learned how to be a better listener, learned what keeps me feeling balanced and learned that the ebb and flow of life are a natural part of existence.
I love being around people. People and the way they live their lives is the most fascinating thing in the world to me. And I see it again and again in all of my life travels and experiences - I come back to one common thread one common theme - we try so hard to separate and categorize ourselves when truly WE ARE ALL MORE THE SAME THAN DIFFERENT. We have the same innate motives, the same fears and the same desires. It is what makes us human.
I think it is important to avoid worrying, abolish fears, take failures large and small in stride and surround yourself with amazing people - and more will come. Like attracts like. You get out what you put in in all avenues of life.
And laughter, wine, beer, coffee and music should be enjoyed with others as often as possible.
people, travel, music, running, laughter, comedy, creative whole food cooking, live music, the history of the music industry, fashion, yoga, meditation, photography, piano, percussion, bass guitar, radio / podcasts / the art of interviewing, poolside sangria parties, spontaneous dance parties, beaching/oceans/seasides/rivers/lakes/nature, all things antique/old/well made with great detail, finding great restaurants, drinking good coffee in good company, strolling/cycling around in good weather .... and more. :)
Music, Movies, and Books
Current sources of inspiration: Arctic Monkeys, Radiohead, ALT J, James Blake, the XX, Thom Yorke, Phillip Glass, LCD Soundsystem, Missy Elliot, The Smashing Pumpkins, Gaslamp Killer, Bon Iver, Grizzly Bear, Sarah Neufeld of Arcade Fire, The Kinks, Disclosure, Florence & the Machine, Gustavo Santaolalla
I love listening to classical music when I write at work.
I will also have an everlasting love for indie dance, brit rock, surf rock, psychedelic rock, soul ... I love discoveries genres and over the last few years have had brilliant introductions to Baltimore, Trap, Post Rock, Glitch Hop - if you are able to expose me to some new music I'll love you for it!
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
- lived in rural Japan for two years, became the surrogate child of a 65 year old man and his wife
- lived in australia for a year and began DJing electro/techno in clubs - even I did not see that one coming.
- randomly attended brunch with 80s icons Aerosmith
- Angkor Wat - one of my absolute favorite places on this earth and absolutely dying to go back
- hitchhiking from Hiroshima to Tokyo to go to Tokyo Disneyland with my best friend from Canada
- surf lessons from the oldest hippie in Byron Bay that I met whilst overhearing a great hug he was giving his friend (good sound). We later enjoyed feast of prawns (no side dish) with him and he gave us beaded footwear to thank us for our bright energy. Loved the man.
- rode a beautiful steed of a horse across central canada with my childhood best friend. a love filled trip.
- watched the Dalai Lama speak in his brilliant saffron robe on Miyajima Island in Hiroshima-ken, Japan
- drove myself and a music journalist covering Coachella 2012 from Los Angeles to Joshua Tree National Park surviving the interstate and an unexpected detour through Compton
- shared a CTV newscast with legendary Anchorman Ron Burgundy
Countries I’ve Visited
Australia, Barbados, Cambodia, Canada, Cuba, Denmark, Dominican Republic, France, Germany, Hungary, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, Viet Nam
Countries I’ve Lived In
Australia, Canada, Japan, United Kingdom