Not Accepting Guests
- Last login 8 days ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Ken’s full profile. It’s free!
To share the love I've found
I grew up in St. Louis, Missouri in South City with a few older sisters and a few dogs. We lived in the city but had a huge backyard, so I grew up outside. I flipped a coin to decide college and ended up at Creighton University for two years where I was overly-involved in activities (I only slept 30 hours a week sophomore year). I left Creighton to enter the Jesuits, who sent me on some gnarly adventures for two years. I now live in the Bronx and go to school at Fordham University. I'm finishing up my undergrad (history, theology double major) and will start an early masters program in history. I coach high school wrestling, work at Food and Water Watch and can usually be found at a state or national park on the weekends (you'll rarely find me still in NYC). My friends tell me I'm a mountain man and that my spirit animal is a bison or grizzly bear. I'll take their word for it.
I live my life to be at the service of others.
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
I've done a decent bit of couchsurfing in life and have always been on the road. I've crashed on my sister's couch in DC, in a Catholic Worker House in Albuquerque, with volunteer communities in Seattle and Billings, and friends all over the country. Usually I try to do some stuff to help out, whether it be splitting wood or making breakfast.
- Weightlifting (don't worry, I'm the guy that tells the other guys to stop being idiots and be polite in the gym)
- Fixin' stuff
- history (Native American and Cold War relations)
- theology (Liberation Theology)
- concert-going (punk, folk, jazz, but I'll swing by the Philharmonic if the tickets are cheap)
- writing poetry (bad poetry, oh noetry)
- growing a mustache
- wearing interesting socks
- baking--most recently made creme brulee and Irish Car Bomb cupcakes
- outdoor activities
Music, Movies, and Books
- Punk, such as Street Dogs, Hot Water Music, Rancid, and Anti-Flag
- Folk, such as Chuck Ragan, Dave Hause, Jenny Owen Youngs, and Woody Guthrie (I love the Revival Tour)
- Hip-hop, such as Flobots, Atmosphere, Macklemore and Talib Kweli
- Indie/Rock, such as Hold Steady, State Radio, Head and the Heart, and Filligar
- Country, such as Ryan Bingham and Austin Lucas
Books: I read a lot of liberation theology and history, mostly on Native American and Latin American history. I'm pretty into social justice, so I read a lot on fighting oppression. But I've got a big space in my heart for the outdoors and enjoy books about folk like Dick Proeneke. I enjoy novels, but typically only read the books given to me as gifts (working through "My Traitors Heart").
Movies: I enjoy a good comedy, documentary, or drama. I have trouble getting into anything real artsy, but am always down for a romantic comedy (You've Got Mail, all the way).
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
I did a 30-day silent retreat.
Teach, Learn, Share
The largest male bison, often called king bison, can grow to be 2,000 pounds and run 35 mph. They are the leading cause of death in Yellowstone (tourists things they're friendly like cows--they really are not). During mating season, the bulls demonstrate their strength. At Wind Cave National Park, they frequently have to repave after mating season because the bulls push each other and their hooves leave 2" gouges in the blacktop.
Countries I’ve Visited
Canada, Ecuador, Peru
Countries I’ve Lived In
Canada, Ecuador, Peru, United States