- 100% response rate
- Last login about 6 hours ago
Join Couchsurfing to see LUCASCHEN’s full profile. It’s free!
Learning to Do, Doing to Learn, Earning to Live, Living to Serve.
(I have a low response rate because I had been inactive for one year. I recently moved and re-opened my place. Feel free to write me if you are looking for a nice host in Chicago.)
I grew up in China, lived in Poland, and currently work in the United States. I am equally fascinated by languages and cuisines. I used to travel through Europe via backpacking and I adventured into the Amazon forest. I used to be a martial arts trainer and a simultaneous interpreter. Recently, I have become a researcher and professional in areas of cross-cultural communication, leadership development, and organizational design. I also serve as the co-founder and president of a philanthropic education group that endeavors to support underserved college students.
1. Anger does no good but delays business, harms others and deteriorates the users. Power is in peace.
2. Never bully when you are strong, but never hesitate to fight back when you are weak.
3. "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow." (James Dean)
4. "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (Vicki Corona)
5. "If you cannot be a poet, be a poem." (David Carradine)
Three elements for maintaining love:
1. Spend quality time together
2. Ask "What happened?" "How do you feel?" "What are your thoughts?" "What do you need?" "How can I help?"
3. When external stress spills in your life, side with your loved one(s), not the stress.
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
HOW I PARTICIPATE IN COUCHSURFING
1. Offering coach and showing guests around for free
2. Teaching guests Chinese language and martial arts if they are interested
3. Meeting with nice CSers from different places
I have met a number of kind hosts and fun surfers on four continents, and I am deeply amazed by their genuineness and experiences. Couchsurfing has made me realize the beauty of mutual trust and demonstrate the belief that strangers are friends that I haven't met. It is always a right time to make contributions to CS. I welcome surfers from all over the world.
1. Get lost in music
2. Take shower after soccer game
3. Learn a new language
4. Explore a less-travelled country
5. Savour a good book over a good cup of tea
6. Meditate in total dark for one hour
7. Talk till midnight with people I enjoy
- performing arts
- martial arts
Music, Movies, and Books
Films: Truman's World, Leon, Beautiful Mind, Schindler's List, Pianist, Life of Pi, Cinderella Man, Pursuit of Happyness, Flipped, Mulholland Drive
Music: Chopin, D. Shostakovich, Tchaikovsky, R. Schumann, Vivaldi, Liszt, Kairos, John Miles, Carlos Gardel, Itzhak Perlman, Maksim Mrvica, Secret Garden
Books: David Copperfield, Dracula, 1984, Godfly, Pride & Prejudice, Unbearable Lightness of Being, all creation myths
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
1.Been writing to European clubs since 2004, and collected autographs so far 150+ cards. Backpacked to Leverkusen in Germany to support a match. A Photo taken together with Michael Ballack.
2. Lunch talk with Prof. Gregory Mankiw and Prof. Steven Pinker at Harvard University.
3. Walked 40 kms on foot one day at the age of 16.
4. Trekked and camped in the Amazon forest for four days, totally isolated from humans' world.
Teach, Learn, Share
Teach: Chinese language and culture, Chinese cuisine, martial arts (self-defense), using chopsticks elegantly, guitar
Learn: Foreign languages and culture, exotic cuisine, guitar, martial arts
What I Can Share with Hosts
Genuine and active listening.
Countries I’ve Visited
Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Italy, Macao, Peru, Poland, Russian Federation, Slovakia, South Korea, United States, Vatican City State
Countries I’ve Lived In
China, Poland, United States