MJ De La Cruz

San Rafael, CA, USA

Wants to Meet Up

  • Last login 4 days ago

Join Couchsurfing to see MJ’s full profile. It’s free!


  • Lyft Driver, Tour Guide, Human
  • PhD
  • From San Francisco, CA, USA
  • Profile 100% complete

About Me


To visit 100 countries before I am 30
(70 out of 100 so far)

~~~~~ABOUT ME~~~~~

My name is M.J. De La Cruz, I am a 28 year old gay nomad. I have spent over 12 years traveling non-stop. I have enjoyed every part of my journey and have seen it as a chance to make the world a smaller place.

I came back to the United States in June 2015.

When describing myself I never seem to list the qualities others see in me. I have been told I am very out-going, bohemian, social, friendly, direct, and accepting. I would consider myself spontaneous, funny (sometimes), I love music, food, travel, and volunteerism.

To me spontaneous is not going to a bar on a Monday night but instead randomly hopping on a plane to South America, Europe, or Asia. Making no plans just going.

I can speak Spanish fluently however I am not great at writing or reading in the language.

I like to live life off the beaten path and enjoy visiting places that are as well. I am a risk taker, cocktail maker, and free-spirit. I live by the belief that the best things to do or see are the ones you learn from strangers on the street. I want to be in the spot where no one has seen a foreigner, where no one speaks my language. I will try any drink and taste any dish.


"If you're not getting happier as you get older, you're fucking up." -Ani Difranco

"If a man be gracious and courteous to strangers, it shows he is a citizen of the world." -Francis Bacon

"The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see." -Gilbert K. Chesterton

"A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself." -Jim Morrison

"I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it." -Audrey Hepburn

"If 'life' is in the way of your dreams, you're not living right."

~~~~~PLEASE NOTE~~~~~

I have Multiple Sclerosis (MS), I do my best to not let it affect me in my day to day life, but I do have my ups and downs. Either way, if you have any questions about MS I am always happy to do my best to educate you about it.

Why I’m on Couchsurfing

Because I couldn't imagine my life without it.

95% of my friends I met through CS, and CS is all I talk about with the other 5%.


I like travel, hitchhiking, baking, drinking, people watching, reading, writing, cooking, photography, karaoke, meeting new people, driving aimlessly, the beach, camping, hiking, swimming, couchsurfing, coffee shops, and theater.

Music, Movies, and Books

Wow, that's broad...

Love books/movies that are non-fiction, period pieces, or "coming of age" stories. Especially when they deal with outsiders, loneliness, being queer, or travelers.

I don't have a TV, but I watch, Scandal, Game of Thrones, Newsroom, SVU, Homeland, Daily Show, Real Time with Bill Maher, The Walking Dead, Family Guy, Glee, Chopped, and a few others sporadically.
I have Netflix but it doesn't get much use.

I am a Spotify junkie. My music taste tends to be of the lesbian-indie-folk-rock persuasion but I like most genres. I have a penchant for listening to sad music, especially when about lost love or missed opportunities. I can rock out to most music.

One Amazing Thing I’ve Done

Ape Caves.

Northern Lights.

Organized and Lead Civil Rights Protests.

The Coast of Northern California.

Occupy Oakland.

Machu Picchu.

The bottom of a $6000 bottle of wine.

Being on 5 continents in under 72 hours.

Teach, Learn, Share

I can help you practice Spanish or English.

I can also teach you about different cultures from around the world.

I've traveled alot and on the cheap, and am always open to sharing my tips and tricks about life on the road.

I like to cook and love to share deep discussions over a bottle (or 2) of wine.

What I Can Share with Hosts

I can cook and help you practice Spanish or English.

I can cook:

Pan-Asian Fusion

But you honestly have no idea how awesome my garlic mashed potato are. Seriously you might die of shock at how something so simple can be so amazing.

Countries I’ve Visited

Afghanistan, Albania, Argentina, Aruba, Australia, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curaçao, Ecuador, Ethiopia, France, Germany, Ghana, Guatemala, India, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Kosovo, Macedonia, Mexico, Montenegro, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Pakistan, Paraguay, Peru, Serbia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Venezuela

Countries I’ve Lived In

Japan, Mexico, Peru, Romania, Turkey, United States

Old School Badges

  • Vouches
    30 Vouches
  • Pioneer
    Pioneer Badge

Join Couchsurfing to see MJ’s full profile. It’s free!

My Groups