Not Accepting Guests
- 84% response rate
- Last login 2 days ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Max’s full profile. It’s free!
(Please read my full profile before requesting to surf my couch :)
I live to experience the diversity of life and people. I love the outdoors, and sensory input of any kind. There's beauty in everything, and art exists in many forms as long as you're willing to take a moment to appreciate it. I believe everyone has something to teach me. I'm the son of two enterprising, creative parents. I grew up fascinated by the outside world, so I studied foreign languages and cultures. I traveled the world to learn even more. I've had all sorts of jobs, including stone masonry, photo development, bartending, Olympics logistics, Alaskan tourism, electric utilities, real estate, and Wall Street investments. I've loved, I've learned, and I continue growing with every experience I have.
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
I'm here to share meaningful experiences with interesting people from around the world. I love authenticity, and meeting locals is my favorite way to learn about a place!
Toni and Eva from Hungary (Sept 2014)
Wenqi and Juan from China/Colombia (Sept 2014)
Agata and Adam from Canada (Oct 2014)
Laureano and Joel from Argentina (Nov 2014)
Jan from Germany (Mar 2015)
Pedro from Brazil (Mar 2015)
Francis, Daniel, and Vaas from Canada/Netherlands (Apr 2015)
Sam from New Zealand (May 2015)
====MY COUCH RULES====
**** Please don't request my couch if you just need a place to stay while you tour New York. Only request my couch if you think we'll have a connection, you want to share your experiences with me, and you want to experience New York like a local, not like a tourist.****
AVAILABILITY (I only host once per month):
- Sept: Full
- Oct: Full
- Nov: Full
- My apartment is on E 108th, with Central Park in my back yard
- The neighborhood is Spanish Harlem (Upper Manhattan)
- The 2, 3, and 6 subway lines are very close
- By subway: LaGuardia (45 mins), JFK (1.5 hours), Newark (1 hour), Penn Station/Port Authority (20 mins), Times Square (15 minutes) - Very close to the most famous museums (Museum Mile)
- I'm not very close to the bars or cafes downtown (I'm in East Harlem)
- You need to take a subway or a cab to most tourist sights
- There is free street parking here if you have a car
- I have two leather couches, one sort of folds into a bed
- I have a fully stocked kitchen
- It's really important to me to keep everything clean!
- I have wifi (but please don't spend all your time using it!)
- Central Park (Harlem Meer, The Conservatory Gardens)
- Museum of the City of New York
- El Museo del Barrio
- Graffiti Hall of Fame
- Urban Gardens
- Spanish spoken everywhere
- Lots of great Mexican/Caribbean restaurants
- Salsa dancing nearby
- I can only host for a few days at a time (2-4); a week is too long
- I work long hours during the week (7am-7pm)
- I usually go to bed pretty early, and I'm not much of a partier
- I won't be able to show you around during the week, but on weekends I'd love to join you
- I love having at least one evening together sharing food/drinks/ideas
- Feel free to teach me how to cook something from your home!
- Please wash all your dishes and keep your bags/clothes organized
- CS is all about learning and sharing to me, not about a free place to stay, please respect that
- When sending a request for more than one person, please include a link to the other profile too
- Please send a personalized request that shows me you've read my profile. Type the phrase "I'VE READ YOUR PROFILE" so I know for sure :)
- Please only use "Send CouchRequest" not "Send Message"
I'm a morning person (5am - 10pm). My most recent passions are running in Central Park (half marathons lately), infusing schnapps, fermenting food/kombucha, contemplating investment opportunities, practicing languages I'm rusty in, pleasure reading, hiking/camping/the outdoors, sailing, exploring new restaurants around New York. I'm gay, so queer and LGBT issues are always relevant. My apartment is open to all types of people.
Music, Movies, and Books
I like all kinds of music in the right context, and I really appreciate good lyrics. I like profound/artistic movies. I'm mostly interested in non-fiction books (learning never stops), but a good poetic novel is always fun.
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
(Or a bunch..) Living in Beijing, working at the Olympics, skydiving, bungee jumping, studying meditation in Thailand and yoga in India, staying in a yurt next to the 5000 meter high Lake Karakul in Western China on the border of Tajikistan with a Kyrgyz family with whom we could only communicate by speaking Chinese to a man who translated into Uyghur and then to Kyrgyz, having a gun held to my head in the middle of the Taklamakan Desert while I had horrible food poisoning during Ramadan, having a dance party in the middle of the Guatemalan jungle with a Mayan family, swimming with a whale shark in Honduras, falling in love in Hong Kong, traveling the entire Amazon river from the Atlantic to the Andes by riverboat, climbing mountains and hiking glaciers and tundra in Alaska, swimming in the Arctic Ocean, watching the sun rise and set on the winter solstice in rural Iceland, getting caught in the 2013 Istanbul riots, visiting North Dakota and seeing firsthand that it actually DOES exist, meeting the love of my life and shark diving, wine tasting, mountain climbing, penguin teasing, and exploring Cape Town and Europe together, climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, sand dunes in Namibia, getting lost in the markets of Fes, and finally settling down in my own apartment in NYC!
Teach, Learn, Share
TEACH: Cooking, brewing, fermenting, infusing. Linguistics. Sailing. Restaurants and unique experiences in New York. Investing. Energy. And plenty of other things I'm sure..
LEARN: How to cook your native cuisine! I also want to practice my Chinese, Spanish, and Portuguese. Teach me your philosophy on life, and tell me how you are going to change the world!
SHARE: I am ALWAYS willing to collaborate on preparing a shared meal!! Cooking and food are often the best way to share culture.
Countries I’ve Visited
Andorra, Argentina, Austria, Bahamas, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Kenya, Kosovo, Latvia, Lesotho, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Norway, Oman, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Romania, Saint Lucia, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Tanzania, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United States, Uruguay, Vatican City State, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Virgin Islands, British, Virgin Islands, U.S., Zambia, Zimbabwe
Countries I’ve Lived In
Canada, China, Iceland, South Africa, United States