- 0% response rate
- Last login about 1 month ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Sebastian’s full profile. It’s free!
Walk the road of life, sail the seven seas
I just got a new job and am moving to Ghent. Lots ofnew things happening. I also just got back from Ukraine (Chernobyl), Transnistria, Moldova, Romania, China and North Korea.
Traveling is a very important part of my life and I am constantly looking for adventure and new experiences, you could say it has become kind of an addiction.
I love and am very interested in small independent territories or countries like Gibraltar, Saint Pierre et Miquelon, San Marino, .... People would describe me as a responsible and mature person. I have seen some interesting cultures and met many nice people along my travels. I have traveled in Europe, Northern and Eastern Asia, Central and North America and I am planning on seeing a lot more.
I strongly believe that traveling and being independent is a necessity for every person to start understanding themselves. I dislike the attitude of doing what everybody else does. It is the easiest and safest way to live your life, but there is so much more out there. I will always respect people who have their own ideas and have a strong character. I love a good discussion!
So much of what we are, is where we have been.
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
HOW I PARTICIPATE IN COUCHSURFING
I want to give people the opportunity to see the Belgian way of life and of course I want to do the same in someone else's country. I would like to offer travelers the same hospitality that I experienced so many times along my travels. Unconditional friendship, help when needed, maybe a ride, ... All the things I love so much when I travel. I must say that Iam not the best guide since I know next to nothing about the city I live in or actually anything about any Belgian city for that matter. But sharing some stories is a great passtime as well.
I have couchsurfed in Canada, China, France, Hong Kong, Italy, Macau, Portugal, Russia, Saint Pierre et Miquelon, San Marino, Spain and USA. I have hosted people from Australia, Austria, Canada, Hong Kong, Mexico, Romania, Russia, Singapore and Spain.
- Paris: Laurent Bruneau
- Paris: Francois Houyez
- Madrid: CANACA
- Madrid: Francisco M. Bassler
- Lloret de mar: Silvia planas
- Barcelona: Bergoi
- Porto: Margarida Cardoso
- Braga: Alejandro
- Coimbra: Leo Veronez
- Tomar: Patricia Borges
- Evora: Joana Cavaco
- Saint-Petersburg: Anna Arteyeva
- Moscow: Alina Suleymanova
- Yekaterinburg: Sonia Nasyrova
- Omsk: Maria Kravchenko
- Novosibirsk: Mariya Kokorina
- Krasnoyarsk: Christina Patskevich
- Vladivostok: Katerina Buzina
- Rome: Guiseppe
- Seveso: Miriam Pagani
- Montreal: Marie-Lou La Barre
- St John`s: Mayo Vrba
- Paradise: Eyad Sakkar
- Grand Falls-Windsor: Paul R Rollett
- Corner Brook: Danny Walker
- Orange Dale: Mukthar Limpao
- Baddeck: Allison Etter
- Sydney: Katie O`Leary & Andrew Balakshin
- Halifax: Jesse Robertson
- Crescent Beach: David K Maclennan
- Atlantic: Shelly Hipson
- Yarmouth: Yourgogirl (Carla)
- Digby: Kadijah Photiades
- Truro: Nicole and Darrin Phillips
- Amherst: Charles and Jessy
- Charlottetown: Nathan Gamauf
- Sackville: Jessica Svenningson
- Memramcook: Justin Gaudet
- Dieppe: Marc Leger
- Moncton: Steve Roy
- Hampton: Paige Danaher
- Florenceville-Bristol: Olko Osadtsia
- Edmundston: France D`Amour
- Riviere-du-loup: Jonathan Imhoff
- La pocatiere: Francis Naud
- Quebec city: Agne_and_Keven
- Montreal: Caroline Kim Ngân Ha
- Montreal: Andrea Cheung
- Ottawa: Dee Newman and Todd Brown
- Gatineau: Marc Tremblay
- Brockville: Dan and Mona Melbourne
- Kingston: Megan Mattes
- Toronto: Barbara Neilson
- Peterborough: Jennifer Freele
- Niagara-on-the-lake: Andrew and Louise
- St Catharines: Dennis and Katherine Ideler
- Hamilton: Naomi Steward
- London: Dave Mitchell
- Windsor: RAMASHA
- Barrie: THATVEGANGIRL
- Parry sound: Christine Utas
- Sudbury: Melissa Martel
- Sault Ste Marie: Taryn and Kirk Reid
- Thunder bay: Sarah D`angelo
- Winnipeg: Allan Dunkeld
- Winnipeg: Karla Gantenbein
- Brandon: Ashley Crawford
- Thompson: Danielle Murphy
- Churchill: Yijon
- Flin Flon: Kayla Bates
- Prince Albert: Bernadette Slager
- Saskatoon: Iulian Bontas
- Saskatoon: Christopher O`Donovan
- Saskatoon: Carrie Braun
- Saskatoon: Chad Crozier
- Saskatoon: Megan and Enzo
- Regina: Susan Weir
- Regina: Adrianne Gogal
- Regina: Paul Dhillon
- Lethbridge: Matt Adcock
- Fort Macleod: Kim Sawchuck
- Calgary: Nickie Burditt
- Calgary: Kyran Flett
- Clagary: Brogan Gordon-Cooper
- Hinton: CAN_JAI
- Edmonton: Katie Vikken
- Red Deer: Crystal Kirkham
- Edmonton: Katka Zalmanova
- Edmonton: Paul Caspers
- Grande Prairie: Matt Charbonneau
- High Level: Isaac Docherty
- Dawson Creek: Cynthia Livingstone
- Prince George: Allan Daem
- Quesnel: Nathalie Swift
- Williams Lake: Shelly Fletcher
- Vancouver: Betty Saudemont
- Vancouver: Eric Goodwill
- Vancouver: Sam Manson
- North Vancouver: Stephen Williams
- Whistler: Steve Thomas
- Whistler: Zea Elmes
- Nanaimo: Tyler Walker
- Victoria: Kyle Nelson
- Victoria: Andrew Howard
- Salt Spring Island: Sky Young
- Pender Island: Laurie Storie
- Tsawwassen: Brian Howey
- Kamloops: Nicolas A Karpluk
- Kamloops: Joe Nystoruk
- Kelowna: Laura Ramsay
- Penticton: Blair Gillighan
- Revelstoke: Alexis Aikenhead
- Golden: Karrera Monteith
- Dawson city: Dan Beaulieu
- Halifax: Courtney Heisler
Saint Pierre et Miquelon:
- Rene & Paul Silverie
- Cedric Epaul
- Chelsea & Benjamin
- Changchun: DC Zhu
- Ji'nan: Felix Gervais
- Tianjin: Daniel Konold
- Beijing: Peng Li
- Suzhou: Poitr Zychowicz
- Nanjing: Can Kul
- Shanghai: Nick Marsh
- Shanghai: Daniel Garcia
- Xiamen: Annika Paliokas
- Xiamen: Yanott Lycheva
- Guangzhou: Ciro
- Jono Mayhugh
- Paisley Lam
- Hilo: Robert K. Lee
- Kurtistown: Vershell Rogers
- Kealakekua: Jon Tadross
- Kalaupapa: Tim Richmond
- Diego Fernando balducci
- Austria: Imran deen
- Singapore: Joshua
- Mexico: Mildred Gatica Sosa
- Russia: Anna Arteyeva
- Spain: Bergoi
- Australia: Patrick Kenny
- Canada: Mukthar Limpao
- Hong Kong: Lui Siuhung
Met for a coffee:
- Bruges: CORNFLAKEBOY (Ash)
- Berlin: FARINE (Sara)
- Braga: António Terra
- Omsk: Alexa ...
- Rome: Einar Nicolaysen
- Halifax: Holly Dixon
- Halifax: Kate Kudryashova
- Charlottetown: Patrick R. Crossman
- Moncton: Oksana Kovalenko
- Montreal: Laurien Spruyt
- Montreal: Kia Sofia Borst
- Dawson Creek: Alice Gillerot
- Shanghai: Wang Qi (Benjamin)
- Amsterdam: Natalie Tan
I like to travel, to see new things, learn other languages, ... I am very interested in new skills such as learning how to bake bread or fixing a car or learning to surf. The list goes on and on. Beside those things I love movies. I like to try new food as well. I love history and sports. Actualy I'm open for anything. I'm not a difficult guy.
- scuba diving
Music, Movies, and Books
I love movies and have seen a lot of them. My music style is the 80`s and 90`s. Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Eagles, Goo Goo Dolls, U2. I love reading while I travel. In Belgium I can`t find the time to read. Some books I like are catch 22, animal farm, Lord of the flies, gone girl, Slaugtherhouse five and a lot of biographies like the ones from Steve Jobs and Richard Branson.
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
1. I lived in Honduras with a host family for one year.
2. I worked for a week in an orphanage in Honduras, with children who lived for their whole life on the street.
3. I went snorkeling and deep sea diving on one of Honduras its tropical islands and got my first diving license there.
4. I got robbed in the streets of Tegucigalpa at gun point.
5. I Saw the Mona Lisa and could not believe how small it was.
6. I ate in a restaurant without lights (Dans le noir, in Paris) and got served by blind personnel. Filling up your glass is already a challenge.
7. I saw the Guernica by Pablo Picasso and was amazed how huge it is.
8. I saw how and where people make Port wine in the city Porto, Portugal.
9. I traveled for a month on my own through Russia, along the trans-Siberian route.
10. I was in Saint-Petersburg and visited the Hermitage with its three million art objects
11. I took a metro in Moscow at rush hour, it seemed every citizen of Moscow was taking the same metro.
12. I saw the red square and Lenin`s Mausoleum in Moscow.
13. I did the Trans-Siberian train track all the way from Saint-Petersburg to Vladivostok.
14. I stayed at the Baikal lake. (Deepest lake in the world) and ate a fish that only lives in that lake.
15. I went to Vatican city where I saw the Saint Peter square, Sistine chapel and the Swiss guard.
16. I traveled on my own through Canada for one year, hitchhiking (where possible) from St John`s, Newfoundland to Fairbanks, Alaska.
17. I got screeched-in in St John`s, Newfoundland.
18. I flew a plane for a few minutes in Gander, Newfoundland (not the take off or landing).
19. I saw Aerosmith, Flo Rida and Cheap trick in Grand Falls-Windsor, Newfoundland.
20. I went to Gros Mourne National Park in Newfoundland.
21. I hitch-hiked along the Cabot trail in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.
22. I got my first tattoo in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
23. I worked in a brewery in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
24. I was interviewed on the radio in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.
25. I picked apples on an orchard as a job in Gagetown, New Brunswick.
26. I worked in an Italian take-out restaurant in Montreal as the only chef.
27. I lived for two months in the #1 hostel of North America, in Montreal.
28. I skated on the biggest ice skating ring in the world, the whole 7.8km of the Rideau Canal in Ottawa, Ontario.
29. I had some beavertails and maple taffy in Ottawa, Ontario.
30. I visited the famous museum of civilization in Gatineau, Quebec.
31. I got caught up in a snow storm in Kingston, Ontario.
32. I visited the CN tower, the tallest free standing building in the world, 553m in Toronto, Ontario.
33. I saw the Niagara falls in Niagara falls, Ontario.
34. I had some ice wine in Niagara-on-the-lake, Ontario.
35. I did some ice fishing on the Georgian bay in Barrie, Ontario.
36. I went to a hockey game in Barrie, Ontario.
37. I went on a ski-doo through the woods of Barrie, Ontario.
38. went dogsleding in Churchill, Manitoba.
39. I saw the northern lights in Churchill, Manitoba.
40. I experienced arctic cold of -42 degrees Celsius in Churchill, Manitoba
41. I shot a 22 magnum and a 308 hunting gun in the forests of Flin Flon, Manitoba.
42. I did some cross country skiing in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan.
43. I ate bison in Saskatoon, Saskachewan.
44. I visited the UNESCO world heritage site: head-smashed-in-buffalo-jump. The Canadian attraction with the weirdest name in Fort Macleod, Alberta.
45. I went to Banff National Park, Alberta.
46. I hiked up Sulphur mountain (2451m) in Banff, Alberta.
47. I hiked to Lake Louise, Alberta. One of the rare moments in my life I was in awe of what I saw. It also was the first time I went snowshoeing.
48. I went to Jasper national park, Alberta.
49. I went to the West Edmonton Mall, one of the biggest malls in the world. It has world`s largest water slides, an equipped indoor wave pool, a full-sized amusement park, a skating rink, two mini-golf courses, a fake reef with real seals, a petting zoo, a hotel and more than 800 stores.
50. I ate some white-tailed deer roast and sausage in Red Deer, Alberta.
51. I shot an SVT 40, a semi automatic battle riffle from Russia, at an out-door gun range in High Level, Alberta.
52. I ate Bear and cougar in Williams Lake, British Columbia.
53. I helped out with branding calves in Williams Lake , British Columbia. I had to hold the calf while they cut the testicles and brand mark it.
54. I went Gopher shooting in Williams Lake, British Columbia.
55. I went on a bear hunt, without result though, in Williams Lake, British Columbia.
56. I biked through Staley Park in Vancouver, British Columbia.
57. I went to my first rodeo in Pemberton, British Columbia.
58. I went to some very secluded (one hour drive on a dirt road and a 20min hike in the woods) hot springs in Pemberton, British Columbia.
59. I saw tons of killer whales on a whale watching tour in Victoria, British Columbia.
60. I finished the Trans Canada Highway, the longest highway in the world. 7800km from St John`s, Newfoundland to Victoria, British Columbia.
61. I shot a shot gun in Victoria, British Columbia
62. I saw some moose, bears and bisons along the Alaska highway into Whitehorse, the yukon.
63. I hiked up Mt Guinness, the tallest mountain in Juneau, Alaska and got picked up by a helicopter.
64. I had a Sourtoe Cocktail in Dawson City, The Yukon.
65. I couch surfed in a camper in Tok, Alaska.
66. I hitchhiked along the Seward highway, the most scenic highway in Alaska.
67. I went to the Ice and Snow Festival in Harbin, Heilongjiang, China.
68. Visited China's last emperor's Imperial palace of Manchu State in Changchun, Jilin, China.
69. I climbed the slopes of Tai Shan, one of China's mythical mountains. Tai'an, Shandong, China.
70. I visited the ancient Qufu, hometown of the sage Confucius. Qufu, Shandong, China.
71. I hiked the Great Wall, Beijing.
72. I visited the Forbidden City, the world's largest palace complex and one-time home of 24 emperors of China.
73. I got lost in the historic hutong alleyways of Beijing.
74. Visited the Drum tower, Bell tower and Temple of Heaven park in Beijing.
75. I crossed the Victoria Harbour on the ledgendary Star Ferry, Hong Kong.
76. I took the steep ascent to Victoria Peak on the Peak tram, Hong Kong.
77. I spent Chinese New Year in Hong Kong and watched the parade and fireworks from Tsim Sha Tsui.
78.Took a ride on the worlds last double decker trams, Hong Kong.
79. I visited Macau for a few days, couchsurfing of course. Saw the Ruins of the church of St Pauk, Mont Fort, Gaia Fort with its beautiful light house, went to Taipa and Coloane.
80. I strolled down the bund promenade, went to Shanghai Museum, saw the Shanghai World Financial center, walked through the French Concession and old town, visited M50 and Yuyuan gardens in Shanghai.
81. In Suzhou I stayed at Pingjiang Lu, walked along the canals and visited the Suzhou museum.
82. In Nanjing I went to the Memorial hall of the massacre and the Ming Xiaoling tomb.
83. Saw the west lake at Hangzhou, Zhejiang.
84. Got another tattoo in Shanghai.
85. Saw some Cantonese culture in Guangzhou and Shenzhen, Guangdong
86. Stayed in Xiamen, Fujian for a little while.
87. Loved the Hawker food in Singapore.
88. Went to the zoo and Night Safari in Singapore, one of the worlds best.
89. Went to Little India and China town in Singapore,
90. Shopped until I dropped in Orchard road in Singapore.
91. Hiked in Bukit Timah Nature reserve in Singapore.
92. Visited the marina bay area by night, where the super trees light up at night. it kind of looks like a scene from Avatar.
93. Hiked through a Volcano crater on the big island Hawaii
94. Swam with dolphins at Kealakekua bay, Hawaii.
95. Saw a black sand beach on Maui.
96. Hiked the Napali coast on Kauai.
97. Visited Pearl Harbor on Oahu.
98. I got my advanced open water diving certificate in Waikiki, Hawaii.
99. I saw green sea turtles and manta rays while diving to a shipwreck of the coast of Honolulu, Hawaii.
100. Went to the North shore, windward and Wai'anae coast on Oahu, Hawaii
101. I visited the world's oldest republic, San Marino.
Teach, Learn, Share
This is a hard question to answer but I think cooking and baking would be the thing I could teach you the best since I went to culinary school. Besides that I love to talk about geography and am very passionate about it so I think I could share something about that too. My biggest interest goes out to small independent territories like Pitcairn Islands, Gibraltar, Monaco, San Marino ...
What I Can Share with Hosts
Stories about my travels. There is nothing I would rather do than share travel stories over a glass of wine.
Countries I’ve Visited
Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Honduras, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macao, Monaco, Portugal, Russian Federation, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, San Marino, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, Tunisia, United States, Vatican City State
Countries I’ve Lived In
Belgium, Canada, Honduras