Not Accepting Guests
- Last login about 3 years ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Duncan and Elise’s full profile. It’s free!
looking for a home in the UK... soon!
Although there is only one of us by name in the profile (sorry, haven't quite figured out how to change that bit yet!), there are two. Duncan is gentle, coordinated, and loves reading out loud. Elise is thorough, a klutz, and obsessed with animals.
Depending on how long we've been travelling, Duncan may or may not look like a yeti. Happily, since we got married in 2009, he has learnt more about the benefits of shaving, so he usually looks more presentable these days.
Other than this tendency towards the hursuit, he's about 5'11'', with long (generally tied back) hair, eyes that are some colour I don't remember right now, but which do seem to work fine.
Other than that... he's keen on hiking, making music or getting philosophical over a beer. He's always keen to learn, and wants to experience.
Elise is one of those people better met than explained. She comes from a small town, where her father is the doctor (from a family of gynaecologists) and her mother is the local wildlife carer. Her animal housemates have included echidnas, emus, roos, possums, bilbies, and, well, anything that can be carried home really!
Growing up in an unusual environment, she has no idea what "normal" is, and is loving learning as much as possible about how other cultures and people live and enjoy life. She is very nice, and huggable, and makes a fantastic meal...
We're currently having a big adventure around the northern hemesphere. Hopefully, in Sept 2011 we will settle a little more in the UK and be able to host from then on.
Hope to meet you some day!
Live with courage and compassion. Be open to life, even when it hurts. Enjoy the little things.
hug it - even if it bites, it might still appreciate the thought
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
HOW I PARTICIPATE IN COUCHSURFING
So far, we haven't really participated in CS (except to unwittingly host a CSer who subsequently brought us to see the light!). That said, once we're settled in the UK, we're keen to get involved more. It's a brilliant idea, and we want to be a part of it!
We haven't really had any couchsurfing experiences... but we're looking to change that!
Duncan: music (he plays piano and can torture a guitar into giving something vaguely resembling music), hiking and camping, languages, science and philosophy. He's also recently been getting into Improvised theatre. He likes doing crosswords (especially cryptics).
Elise: loves The Cat Empire (music), and listening to Duncan "torture" any musical instrument. She loves animals, walks, stories, and learning. Recently, she's been getting into cooking, and can now make a nice curry and a really good cake.
Music, Movies, and Books
At the time of writing:
Movies: "The eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" and "The Lion King" (oh, and Gene Kelly's version of "The Three Musketeers... love it!)
Duncan: currently enjoying Charles Stross (going on a bit of an S.F. binge). I haven't really been reading all that much recently - but books I've enjoyed in the past include "The Book Thief", "Everything is Illuminated", "Lolita", "The Tin Drum", "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle", "Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman", "The Black Swan", "Borderliners", "The Justice Game".
Elise: Can't choose. We both love books, and I adore stories... Anything biographic, science fiction, general fiction, or from the kid's section, and I'm probably a fan. :)
Duncan: Lots... some bands / composers - The Cat Empire, Roby Lakatos, Kings of Convenience, Sergio Mendes, Ravel (particularly his piano music), Bela Bartok, Marta Gomez, Gomez, Beck, Hill top hoods, Morcheeba, Lamb, Ben Folds Five, most blues, Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk, Topology, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Jose Gonzales, Joe Pass, Frank Zappa, Dave Matthews
Elise: The Cat Empire (yay!), Hill Top Hoods, Savage Garden. Oh, and a nice collection of country music that no one's ever heard of.
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
- Jamming with locals on traditional Chinese instruments in Kunming's Cuihu park... looking around to see a big crowd gathered.
- Flying over the Austrian alps in a 2-man plane
- Attending the 60th Lindau "Meeting of the Nobel Laureates"
- Teaching 15 puppies to "sit" in 3 weeks, then teaching 20 firemen CPR in one morning!
- Controlling the spotlight on James Morrison (the jazz trumpeter, NOT the pop star!) while hundreds of people danced in beautiful clothes.
Teach, Learn, Share
- If you have any problems with computing, mathematics or physics, Duncan's happy to try to help out
- Reading music; perhaps some basic piano technique
- basic Diabolo juggling
- a really nice foot, face, or hand massage
- anything you ever wanted to know about living with Australian animals
- Duncan enjoys teaching and learning new songs on the guitar or piano
- Cooking! Duncan is keen to expand his capabilities, and Elise would love to learn new styles of food (incl. both culturally influenced and things like veganism)... In exchange we know about pavlova, chocolate eggless apple cake, rice paper rolls, crepes... :-)
- permaculture / gardening / food production: I really want to learn more about this.
- harmonica (or piano or guitar!)
- Chinese, French, Spanish
- local history; stories, people, places and ideas
- Theater skills; juggling skills
Countries I’ve Visited
Argentina, Austria, China, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Indonesia, Italy, Japan
Countries I’ve Lived In
Australia, United Kingdom, United States