Not Accepting Guests
- Last login over 1 year ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Ben’s full profile.
Getting my Masters in Public Policy.
I'm a writer, musician, and graphic designer.
I also love travel and gardening.
I call Charlottesville, VA home. I spent the last 6 1/2 years there serving as the Director of Communications for the student volunteer center at the University of Virginia.
I'm currently taking a creative year to work on artistic projects, including a book about hitchhiking.
I'm pretty laid back.
Significance comes from loving others.
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
HOW I PARTICIPATE IN COUCHSURFING
My roommates and I hosted many times at my last house in Charlottesville. I surfed a bunch last summer. I just moved outside of town by 20-30 minutes would still love to host, but you'll need a car.
- Backpacked across Mexico w/ Kaleb Matson
- Caught an underground rock concert in Atlanta w/ Frak
- Took Carey to a Charlottesville brewery & introduced her to my friends (now she lives here)
- Camped on Easter Island w/ Drew and Caroline Macomber
- Hiked Mill Mountain w/ Whitney Hubbard
- Planted onions w/ James Case
- Read One Fish, Two Fish to Liam w/ Matt and Rebecca Williams
- Kayaked w/ alligators and Talia Seider
- Hosted a house concert w/ Daniel McCord
- Watched Cosmos w/ Eric McAnly
- Rocked a Bastille Concert w/ Stephen Rutledge
- Hunted Morel Mushrooms w/ Danna Flowers
- Played Appalachian Dulcimer w/ John and Diana Krautter
- Gardened & split wood w/ Nick & Rachel Sarah at Downstream Project
On most Mondays I can be found at The Local's Songwriter's Night. I love our local music scene, especially the community among our many talented songwriters. I enjoy the outdoors, reading, writing, and gardening.
- graphic design
- outdoor activities
- public policy
Music, Movies, and Books
Some of my favorite movies:
In Pursuit of Happyness, Big Fish, The Prestige, Inception, Looper
The Unsettling of America & everything Wendell Berry
Glen Hansard, Iron and Wine, Gregory Alan Isakov, Tom Conlon
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
The summer before last I took my baby sisters on a trip across Ireland and Scotland. We visited the Skelligs – a surreal rocky outcrop off the coast of Ireland and got to witness the puffins breeding.
I once flew to Seattle from East Coast on a whim. Bought a motorcycle and spent the next four weeks driving it home.
My friend Ben and I backpacked through the Middle East from Istanbul to Cairo, crossing through Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel, and Egypt.
Teach, Learn, Share
Teach: Web Design, Gardening, Songwriting, Guitar...
Learn: Whatever is local!
Countries I’ve Visited
Belize, Chile, Costa Rica, Egypt, Guatemala, Honduras, Ireland, Jordan, Lebanon, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Puerto Rico, Syrian Arab Republic, Turkey, United Kingdom
Countries I’ve Lived In