Wants to Meet Up
- Last login about 1 hour ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Benito_Pepito’s full profile. It’s free!
Hello everyone! I'm a French guy originally from the tiny South Pacific island of New-Caledonia :)
Statistics and sociological research conducted by me prove that 99% of the population have never heard about this place, so here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Caledonia , you're welcome !
I'm a long haul traveler who has been living and working on all five continents! :D
My actual port of call is Vanuatu, an archipelago nation, where I work for the French Red Cross on recovery projects after Typhoon Pam hit the place.
I love discovering exciting new places, bonding with new people, and sharing funky experiences !
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
I found many things through the Couchsurfing projects including (but not limited to!):
- An apartment in Paris in 24h (olympic record!!!)
- Unexpected adventures in the Brazilian jungle
- Companions in madness on booze cruises in the pristine waters of Cebu (Philippines)
- Mutant tomatoes in Washington D.C.
- Enjoying crazy street foods in India with equally crazy people
- And, more importantly, people willing to share slices of their lives along mine for a short (or a long) ride :D
Ok, I love wine. I can talk about wine for hours. I worked in wine shops. I worked in wine warehouses. Half my blood is made of red wine I think ^^ ! Wine is about sharing, and I love to share that passion with others :)
I'm the outdoorsy type. Trekking in nature and going to the remotest of places is a craving. Camping atop strange mountains in equally strange countries is a habit. Would love to practice more climbing (indoors/outdoors) if given the opportunity!
Riding motorcycles is one of the things where I feel the most alive! I love big bikes and the rumble you feel deep inside your belly when the engine starts :) I've travelled across Nepal and India on a Royal Enfield Bullet 350cc motorbike, from the border of Bangladesh to the border of Pakistan, I've drifted along Vietnam from its border with China to the Mekong Delta, I've been riding like a (or worst than, it depends!) habal habal drivers in the mean streets of Cebu :) Love to go day tripping on a motorbike with a group of friends!
I'm a lit freak. B.A. in literature. From the historical fun filled adventures of the Alexandre Dumas' books (Count of Monte-Cristo, Three muskeeters...) and the existentialist brain grating pages of Sartre or Camus, to the creole colored, magically realist characters of Latin America and the Carribeans (Borges, Chamoiseau, Garcia Marquez...). Always game to discover new books wherever I may roam!
Cooking is one of my favorite things! For me it's like active meditation: it clears your mind (chop, chop, chop!), fills your belly and makes your friends stick to your place as long as your nourish them and then they're too full to leave anyway so you can finish them with some liquors ahah :D
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
* Helping people in need due to my job (relief worker). I've seen the most amazing and resilient people in my life, from the devasted city of Tacloban just after typhoon Yolanda to the arid emptiness between Kenya and Somalia where people still offer you to share the little they have. I don't earn much doing that job, but the human experience and kindness if fills you with is worth that a thousand times :)
* Popping up a champagne bottle at 5,416 metres Thorong-La mountain pass in the Himalayas (and taking a shower with snow on top!)
* Planting the seed of a banana tree at the very isolated Djanine beach in Maré island, New-Caledonia, (and knowing it's still there waiting for me to eat its bananas!)
* Drifting through the Amazon Rainforest in Brazil for weeks on a boat; from Porto Velho to Belém (and assisting first hand to a drug busting operation in the process!)
* Spending a complete Christmas night with friends walking and talking and drinking in the labyrinth of the Catacombs of Paris (and just wanting to get back down there!)
* Completing a long time "current mission" on CouchSurfing ! My goal for years was to find the perfect bowl of ramen. And I ultimately found it ! Where ? Well, wandering away in the mean streets of Tokyo, Japan, of course ^^
Teach, Learn, Share
I can show you how to taste wine like a French person ! How to make it swirl in your glass, how to smell and look at it, and how to taste it of course ^^ !
I can guide you through the wonders of the ocean and how to crack and drink a beer at 40m depth ! I'm a certified Divemaster !
I can teach you how to swear in French like a local, bordel de merde !!!
Countries I’ve Visited
Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Fiji, France, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Lebanon, Mali, Morocco, Nepal, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Peru, Philippines, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States
Countries I’ve Lived In
Argentina, Bolivia, Canada, France, Kenya, Malaysia, New Caledonia, Philippines, United Kingdom, Vanuatu, Viet Nam