Maybe Accepting Guests
- 96% response rate
- Last login 13 days ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Julie’s full profile.
Hi and welcome to my Couchsurfing profile! I have no clue how to describe myself so I’ll just list some random facts about me that hopefully help you understand who I am:
• I am a classical cellist, I teach in music schools and just finished my studies at the Zurich University of the Arts.
• I grew up in Basel, Switzerland, my mother is Swiss, my Dad is German.
• I’m in love with Scandinavia and the mountains and that’s also where you can find me during most of my travels.
• I wouldn’t consider myself a typical Swiss, I’m too direct for that and apparently I laugh too loudly, but I’m familiar with Swiss etiquette and follow most of those rules most of the time.
• People call me adventurous. All things are relative.
• I used not to talk to strangers but I made an effort to change it and now some people think I’m weird. But I like it.
• I feel very uncomfortable sharing an elevator with strangers and I try to avoid sitting next to strangers in public transportation (a good way to do so is to bring a big instrument with me and Covid helps, too).
• I have a drivers license but rarely use it because I go literally everywhere by bike or train. It just feels wrong to drive when there’s another option.
• I like to walk fast.
• I like to walk far.
• I’m a child of the mountains but I could spend hours at the ocean just watching, listening and smelling.
• The higher and steeper a mountain the better.
• I thought I was very organised but my ex boyfriend said I have always been the chaos in person and I guess he’s right. I am quite a perfectionist though but it felt increasingly restrictive to me so I made an effort to change it and just go with the flow.
• I like eye-catching socks.
• I sew and knit a lot. I also used to go to pottery making classes but had to stop because of lack of time.
• I have an oddly strong love for oat milk cappuccino and whipped cream (separately).
• I also like IPA quite a lot.
• I’m usually eating vegetarian/vegan for environmental reasons and because I think it’s delicious and healthy but I have a hard time saying no to pickled fish, Icelandic lamb and good cheese. I also like to try traditional foods when traveling.
• I love cooking but when busy I eat sandwiches for days on end.
• My favourite spices are cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and black pepper.
• Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day.
• I can get very hangry.
• I am practicing gratitude and a positive mindset, it works surprisingly well, and I’m generally a nice and helpful person but I keep offending people with my direct and honest nature.
• I can’t sit still for a long time.
• I love hiking and even though I wouldn’t say my life style is active I stay fit from carrying around my instrument and music books.
• I’m afraid of thunderstorms.
• I love to travel, discover new places and meet people from all over the world.
• I decided not to fly anymore.
• I love languages and grammar and could spend hours discussing and comparing languages.
• I love to talk and I talk a lot (really) but I dislike small talk.
• I repeatedly confront people with topics like climate change, food waste, plastic pollution, fair fashion, feminism, equality, mindset etc.
If you made it til here: congrats, you’re prepared to meet me now.
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
I love traveling and meeting the locals. Hotels are expensive and boring, so Couchsurfing is a great opportunity to meet people and save money at the same time (because honestly, most people here want to save money).
Also I want to help out if I can and welcome travelers at my place to share stories and have a place to sleep. To me hosting is like traveling without leaving my place. But please remember that Couchsurfing is not Tinder and don’t confuse them.
- budget travel
- learning languages
- hiking in the mountains
Music, Movies, and Books
I can’t explain my taste of music (it’s kinda strange). But music surrounds me.
I like reading.
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
Hitchhiked around half of Iceland in one day (2017) and around the whole country in two weeks (2018).
Worked on an organic farm.
Hiked the 430 km long Kungsleden in northern Sweden and Kebnekaise, Swedens highest mountain (2019).
Hiked 350 km across Switzerland (2020).
Went Zero Waste for 3 weeks.
Played a support show for José González.
Got a job.
Got another job.
Got vaccinated (2021).
Teach, Learn, Share
I can teach you German, how to knit and how to cook a decent vegetarian or vegan meal.
What I Can Share with Hosts
I can tell stories and cook and I can buy beer. And my apple pie is made in no time.
Countries I’ve Visited
Austria, Brazil, Denmark, France, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Thailand, United Kingdom
Countries I’ve Lived In