Wants to Meet Up
- Last login 18 minutes ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Son’s full profile.
*I'M DOUBLE VACCINATED AND COVID-19 NEGATIVE*
Currently, I cannot host people as I'm taking a master's degree in London, UK. I've been spending time in the academic environment and traveling around most of the time.
1. Travel around the UK, then Europe to make the most of my time living in this exciting continent.
2. Meet CSers to gather ideas, learn from their travel experience, study different cultures and histories, then get some inspiration to do my own trip. Also, meet new people who can contribute a piece to my life picture.
P/s: to be frank, I do not use CS for dating, finding a romantic relationship whatsoever.
Born in a small province in Vietnam, I've been through ups and downs and struggled in university to find my own path, got lucky a number of times, made the most of the opportunities to go abroad and see the world, did plenty of volunteer and social projects in a few international NGOs. Seeing different people's lives helps me become open-minded and appreciative of little things in life more than ever before.
I worked in finance/management consulting industry for over 5 years, involved with a local non-profit as a Grant Allocation Committee member, then got 2 fully-funded scholarships from the Irish government and the British government with the vision to promote venture capital for small businesses and impact investment for social enterprises back in my home country - Vietnam. Finally, I chose London, UK to pursue my master's degree and joined a network of amazingly talented scholars. I hope to meet amazing people in the UK, experience the culture and live with my dream after graduation.
Be the change you wish to see in the world.
Everyone has his/her own unique stories waiting for you to discover.
Between being right and being kind, it's good to be kind first.
* As a host:
- Ms.Becky - American - an energetic high-school music teacher
- Mr. Gustavo - Brazillian - a good cook and also a world traveller
- Ms.Lizette - Filipino - a dedicated public servant, also an aspiring dancer
-Mr. Omar - Italian - an INGO official who posses great sense of humor :D
* As a guest:
- Van - Vietnamese - a brave spa manager
- Trang - Vietnamese - a thoughtful kindergarten principal
- Benny - Vietnamsese - a warm-hearted English teacher
- Jiyeon - Korean - an energetic university student
- Zidane - Korean - a goofy hostel owner, also a great surfer
- Donghyun - Korean - a thoughtful marine and logistics student
- Hoang - Vietnamese - a very helpful engineer
- James - American - a kind & intellectual self-development coach
- Iwan - Balinese - a thoughtful coffee shop owner
- Made - Balinese - an altruistic linguistics professor
- Rahman - Egyptian - a humorous English teacher
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
1. Pay-it-forward: my best travelling experiences have been times that I spend with my hosts, so I start to open my house and host people to spread out the greatness of CS community (experience authentic local lifestyles, hands on experience learning about different cultures/perspectives).
2. Have meaningful connections and even life-long friendships
Reading books, musical theater, playing music, movies, documentaries, cooking, beers hangout, social events, dancing, standup comedy, intellectual conversation, social justice, equality, street arts, data analytics, graduate school,etc....
- swing dancing
- intellectual conversations
- authentic food
- history and culture
- playing musical instruments
Music, Movies, and Books
Mostly comtemporary Pop/ballad/RB genres, I enjoy listening to a bit of everything. I'm currently interested in jazz, disco and alternative rock, really want to learn for about those music genres.
I will watch a bit of everything, but I am really into non-fiction/oscar movies (top 250 Imdb list). I watched 52 out of 250 films so far.
I read often, mostly non-fiction books covering some topics such as: politics, culture, economics, arts, etc.... Books are a great way to learn and expand the mind.
If you are also a bookworm like me, add me in Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/21989539-son-nguyen
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
- Had a near-death experience in Bali (Indonesia) when I had a cliff jumping there, which changed my outlook in life completely.
- I helped 3 local non-profits to get 20,000USD on project fundings.
- I helped a technology start-up to double its users in 2 months.
- Trekking ~35km in Kalaw trail (Myanmar).
- Trekking ~40km through mountains, forests and streams during 3 days (Ta Nang - Phan Dung route - Vietnam).
- Spent 10 full days in complete silence meditating Vipassana .
- Unexpectedly won 1st prize in a talent show by my singing ability (win both by the judge's and audience's vote) when I did not think I have a chance.
- Surfing in Woljeongri Beach (Jeju island - Korea) and in Bali (Indonesia).
- Trekking in Jeju island (Korea).
- Competed and got 2 prestigious government scholarships (Irish government and British government)
The list will go on and on :)
Teach, Learn, Share
WHAT I CAN SHARE:
1. Vocal techniques ( I sing quite well, even won 1st prize in a small talent show due to my singing ability).
2. Project management and personal finance: as per my past experience in non-profit sector and my expertise as a financial management consultant.
3. My knowledge about Vietnamese culture and history and food recipes.
4. Travel tips traveling across Vietnam, as I have traveled all over the countries.
5. Life perspectives and long conversations ranging in different topics :).
What I Can Share with Hosts
1. My travel stories, my company, good conversation, and a genuine interest in your culture & history, I'm also willing to share mine.
2. Lots of conversation - look out, I ask a lot of questions and really perceptive to different view points!
3. Experiences - I love to have a good time out exploring and it's even better when there's someone to share it with
4. Some tangible benefits: a crash course on vocal techniques (as I'm quite ok at this :D), meditation tips, swimming techniques,etc....
5. I can help out with the house chores, cleaning and cooking :)
6. A life-long friendship
Countries I’ve Visited
Cambodia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Italy, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom, Vatican City State, Wales
Countries I’ve Lived In
Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore, United Kingdom, Viet Nam