Wants to Meet Up
- 93% response rate
- Last login about 2 hours ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Pascal’s full profile. It’s free!
I'm Pascal! I do animated films, can make musical instruments (jarana),can craft puppets and produce organic herbs on the weekend! I work 4 hours a week as a motion design teacher, and spend the rest of my time using my hands, designing outdoor equipment, learning about linguistics, reading about political liberation, playing music and the most important: laying in a hammock.
I currently am co-producing a social-justice themed radio show about adoption: www.outofthefog.news, Check it out!
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
HOW DO I ACCEPT GUESTS
(you get an automatic NO reply if you copy/paste your request. A request is considered as a copy/pasted is one that doesn't have any information on how will be your contribution to Montreal. Refer to https://support.couchsurfing.org/hc/en-us/articles/200640010-How-do-I-write-a-good-couch-request-/) You will recieve a copy-pasted response from this paragraph if you do send generic requests on couch surfing.
1. AGE: I do not discriminate on age, though I do have a preference for diverse life experiences that are satellite to mines (agriculture, music, art, psychology, collective entreprises, anarchism, social justice, etc.)
2. GENDER: Most travellers and backpackers are male. I tend to have accepted more males because of their over-representation in this field. I would like to host more women and non-conforming genders in our home as it it as safe space for it.
3. WRITE A PERSONAL REQUEST: I don't accept generic requests. I have recieved in the past: "Hi Julian! My name is _____, I am traveling in Montreal, do you have a couch for me?" First, get my name right. Two, don't copy-paste. Three, consider why I should host you.
4. CONTRIBUTE: Tell me what you will teach to me, my housemates and the larger Montreal community. (Example: a past couchsurfer created a workshop on polyamory, another brought me to a concert in which he composed the music, another presented films he directed in our home cinema, another gave us some honey she produced, ... what will you do, teach us your language, a traditional song of your region or your way of cooking ?)
WAYS OF CONTRIBUTING:
1. FARM VOLUNTEERING: My partner Mark and I have a organic medicinal micro-farm 30 mins away from Montreal and need a hand on the weekends. We usually leave by car on Saturday morning 9am and come back on Sunday night 8pm. You'll be working 5hrs, and will have food and accomodation sorted!
2. COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT: We live in an intentional community in the heart of Montreal called La Boite à Pois. We organize free workshops and events. You can create one too! We have a big living room, a sound system, and a projector.
3. CULTURAL EXCHANGE: You don't have anything to share? Don't worry! We are all born into a culture, with certain traditions and knowledge you might not suspect are valuable. Share with us your ways of being, thinking, cooking, literature, language.
- social justice
- documentary photography
- knowledge sharing
- urban agriculture
- community development
- non violent communication
- reproductive justice
Music, Movies, and Books
MOVIES: Une Femme Douce, Festen, Dancer in the Dark, CRAZY, My Own Private Idaho, Sweetie, We Need to Talk About Kevin, A Separation, Lost Highway, Habla con ella, Kids, Blue Velvet, Gummo,...
MUSIC: Toro Y Moi, Animal Collective, Leif Vollebekk, Foals, Efterklang, Thom Yorke, Nico Muhly, James Blake, Oscar+Martin, Beach House, Collarbones, Fleet Foxes, King Krule,..
BOOKS: The Perfume (Patrick Suskind), Le Petit Prince (Antoine de St-Exupery), Ru (Kim Thuy), I much enjoy analytic books rather than fiction novels.
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
I have warm memories about spending all night on the beach with astrophysicists waiting for the solar eclipse. Everything turned grey, shadows multiplied into multiple rings, the air was still and yet our spirit was effervescent.
Teach, Learn, Share
TEACH: I can teach Photoshop, French, Photography theory and expose adoption issues.
LEARN: Spanish (Porteño), Farsi
SHARE: Play music together :)
What I Can Share with Hosts
Health brings a freedom very few realize, until they no longer have it.
To love is to read a song from someone's heart and to sing it back to them.
We're not tourists, we're travellers. A tourist is someone who thinks about going home the moment they arrive. Whereas a traveller might not come back at all.
Countries I’ve Visited
Cambodia, Canada, China, Cuba, France, Germany, Guatemala, Israel, Italy, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, Viet Nam
Countries I’ve Lived In
Australia, Canada, Mexico, United States, Viet Nam