- Last login 7 months ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Jesse’s full profile.
Trying to keep this fucked up world together.
I spend my time writing, editing my magazine (AltDaily.com), teaching, and doing community building type stuff. Traveling is pretty much my favorite thing. I'm helping make an arts district in Norfolk.
(I wrote this next part a little while back, so it needs some revising, which I will not do right now.)
Beyond that, man. There's a lot of life to tell. Don't mean for this to sound like a resume, but what we've done and where we've been (and who we've been there with, of course) make us who we are. A brief review of a life set apart by dashes:
- Spent the past 2 months working as a sailor on an old boat in the Netherlands.
- Before that I was in Cape Town for 5 months volunteering at a home for boys.
- Before that I spent a while hitch-hiking up the West Coast of the US and doing a cross-country road trip.
- Before that I lived in San Diego for a year, taught myself to surf, and worked as a high school drama teacher and a journalist.
- Before that I had a production company for a few years. We produced a documentary on American table tennis and a series for BET about the marching band and football team at a black college in Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina.
- Before that I was a public school teacher in Brooklyn.
- Before that I got 2 master's degrees.
- Before that I worked at ESPN, spent a summer in Yosemite National Park, spent a summer as a newspaper editor in the Hamptons, spent a summer in Florida teaching rich 3-year-olds how to swim.
- I have written three bad novels, but I'm working on three good ones.
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.
(Thanks Daniel J.)
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
HOW I PARTICIPATE IN COUCHSURFING
Been hosted many more times than I've hosted. I'm looking forward to changing that a little.
Basketball, New York Times, yoga, fake meat that tastes like meat, the color muave. I like improving the way that my mind energies are concentrated (in practical ways... I'm not a Moon Man).
- table tennis
Music, Movies, and Books
Dave Eggers, Arcade Fire, Dylan, Bret Easton Ellis, Dharma Bums, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Magnolia, Fight Club, Cinema Paridisio, La Vita e Bella, Rocky, 80s music, Rolling Stones, Sam Cooke, Dusty Springfield, Radiohead, Bruce Springsteen, Beatles (of course), Belle and Sebastian, Broken Social Scene, Feist, Royal Tennebaums, Rushmore, anything by Almodovar. etc.
Teach, Learn, Share
I'd be happy to help you improve your writing or make a plan for your next big writing opus inspiration project.
Or help you develop a personal fitness plan.
Or, if you're considering becoming a vegetarian, I'd like to help teach you how to do it healthy.
I've also pitched and sold tv shows, if you're keen on that.
Countries I’ve Visited
Israel, United States
Countries I’ve Lived In
Italy, South Africa, United States