- Last login about 2 years ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Beau’s full profile. It’s free!
I am attaining a Masters of Special Education from Hunter College. It turns out that, unfortunately, they do not offer financial aid for the summer training required for this unique program (the Urban Teacher Residency). I have a little money saved up, but not enough to secure housing without financial aid. There is a $1,000 stipend, but it's not released until July.
I have made it my life's mission to serve low-income communities through compassionate, caring and effective education of the youth therein in order to end the cycle of poverty at its source. The old adage "Knowledge is Power" is more than just a general truism - it's a simple fact of life. Students in low-income communities need the skills and knowledge necessary in order to perform and maintain a job that pays a decent wage, without which they will be left with only illegal means of support, which then leads to a revolving door within the criminal justice system.
The reason I am making this request now is because I had to wait on hold for literally 1 1/2 hours in order to talk to a financial aid officer, who then told me to talk to the graduate admissions, who then told me to talk to my program, who then told me to talk to financial aid...long story short, I found out about a week ago that I won't receive any financial aid for the summer.
Though I have a very serious mission, and will be teaching in very dangerous schools, you will be surprised to find out that I am not a very serious person. I am a stand-up comedian, but it is the very same humor that I use to entertain crowds that keeps me sane in my work with low-income and special education students.
"The only thing that I know is that I know nothing"
I am likely the most open-minded person you are likely to encounter. There is literally nothing that someone can say that could possibly offend me. My compassion for other people and their faults is extremely high, because as a fellow human I am also prone to fault. I am an extremely easy-going, friendly person, and I meet people where they are, not where I think they should be.
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
HOW I PARTICIPATE IN COUCHSURFING
So far I have hosted a series of foreign-exchange students for over 2 years. This is why my home hasn't been open to Couchsurfing during that period. When we are not hosting foreign-exchange students, I have opened my home to travelers near and far. I am even willing to provide food, but in exchange I will ask you to help around the house by doing chores such as loading dishwasher or tidying up. I also ask every guest to be respectful and pick up after themselves.
Also no loud music. Exception: I am a musician, however, so if you want to bring your instrument and practice that's fine, just NOT AFTER 9 p.m. I would like to collaborate, especially if you're a singer.
I will be verifying your identity, so please bring your I.D. Sorry but I have a child and I cannot risk his safety.
I have hosted 2 foreign exchange students, one from Germany and the other from Korea. I learned a ton about cross-cultural dynamics, and I love learning about other cultures, especially the food!
Producing high-quality comedic entertainment for those around me. I also a musician, entrepreneur and philosopher...I know, all the least profitable professions combined into one, money-losing profession.
- performing arts
- classical music
Music, Movies, and Books
Books/Authors: Emmanuel Kant; Dostoevsky; Herman Melville; Cloud Atlas
Music: Radiohead; the Beatles; Classical; Led Zeppelin
Movies/TV: Breaking Bad; Anime (Code Geass; Full Metal Alchemist; Claymore; Avatar: The Last Airbender); Cloud Atlas;
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
I went to New York City and met Jason Jones and Samantha Bee from "The Daily Show!"
Teach, Learn, Share
1. Philosophy (meaning of life; foundation of knowledge; logic, argument and belief structure)
2. Piano/music theory
3. Comedy (improv. and stand-up)
1. Cooking (always interested in new dishes, especially from non-American cultures!)
2. Household projects, such as renovating spaces, installing new fixtures, etc. (think Bob Villa and "This Old House" type of stuff)
3. Woodworking (I always wanted to learn to build furniture)
4. MUSIC: Singing, music producing and other instruments (I always wanted to learn guitar, how to sing properly and how to produce/edit/record music professionally)
1. If you have life-changing stories you'd like to share, I would like to record them for my story-telling podcast.
What I Can Share with Hosts
1. I can teach the piano. I can also serenade you with a wide variety of classical music (if you have a piano or keyboard).
2. I also can perform my stand-up sets for your personal entertainment purposes. It's always good to test material out on people, so you'd almost be doing me a favor by hearing it.
3. I have a B.A. in Philosophy, so I can spare you a dead-end degree and impart my knowledge of the human mind onto anyone who's interested. In fact, it would be my pleasure.