Maybe Accepting Guests
- 16% response rate
- Last login 6 days ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Darby’s full profile. It’s free!
Freedom from self. Revolution against the greedy.
I am Darby and I am currently working as an SME Counselor under the National Government of the Philippines. I love to travel. I started travelling in 2010 and as I write this, I have been to 12 Asian countries. I have yet to visit a couple of countries in Asia before I start travelling outside this lovely continent.
I am an activist and I am against any forms of oppression. I am also a pesco vegetarian and I collect postcards.
Here's my postcard collection: www.kosmonotes.com
IG Account: @thetravellingcosmonaut
"All things work together for good!" - Romans 8:28
"I am good to people who are good. I am also good to people who are not good"- Lao Tzu
"Sometimes surrender means giving up trying to understand and becoming comfortable with not knowing" - Eckhart Tolle
"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"- Mother Teresa
TAKE A TRIP. PLAN NOTHING. FIND EVERYTHING. - Jack Kerouac, On the Road
"Que Sera Sera"
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
HOW I PARTICIPATE IN COUCHSURFING
I want to meet new people and learn new cultures...I guess you get this type of answer everyday. Well, I want to share my culture, the PINOY value system and the great food that we can share especially in my hometown.
1. Attended a Fun Run in Cebu with Jon Tullet, LYN and Jenny Dulay
2. Starbucks in Cebu with Ivyhazel
3. Baby Back Ribs Dinner in Cebu with Tsari
4. Traveled parts of Asia and Philippines with Glaiza Samson
5. Toured Diego Bortolameotti of Italy
6. Joined CS Manila's Chinese New Year and Intramuros trip
7. Organized First CS Pampanga Meetup with Irish, Ron, Olive, Maila, Jogs, Evelyn and Karlo
8. Hosted Renwick Cruz of Palawan
9. Hosted Mark Shea of Australia
10. Hosted Chia Yu Huang of Taiwan
11. Hosted Noa Daniel of Israel
12. CS Davao Meetup with May Che, Marcial and Grace
13. Organized Pinatubo Trip with CS Pampanga and CS Manila
14. Joined CS Pampanga Korean Dinner with Olive, Jogs and Jeanette
15. Joined CS Manila Summer Scramble, and won 4th place!
16. Hosted John James Bronte of Oakland, USA
17. Hosted Darren Lim of Ipoh Malaysia
18. Hosted Ksenya N. of Portland, Oregon, USA
19. Hosted Paul Trifonov of Ivanovo, Russia
20. Meetup with Rachel Pregunta of CS Pampanga
21. Hosted Daniel and Juan of Buenos Aires, Spain
22. Hosted Kristina Vitkova of Czech Republic
23. Ongoing World CS project for my Grandma
24. Brasilipinas 2013 with the party people of CS Manila
25. My 2nd Chinese new year with CS Manila
26. Re-hosted Daniela and Juan of Argentina
27. Hosted Stuart Ziegler of Missouri, USA
28. CS Manila Thirstday, February 2013
29. Visited the House of the Red Couch, March 2013
30. Volunteered for the CS Manila Feeding Porgram at Ermita Church
31. Hosted Suko of Indonesia
32. Surfed at Tsari's Couch
33. Hosted THE Pi Villaraza of Palawan
34. Hosted Eric of USA
35. Hosted Vlado of Slovakia
36. Hosted Yaxin of China
37. Meetup with Jerry See Toh of Melaka, Malaysia
38. Meetup with Chris of China
39. Meetup with Nele (Germany), Alberto (Spain), Chris (China), Rachel (Philippines) and Sinag (Philippines)
40. Meetup with Sinag (Philippines)
41. Hosted Dat of Hanoi, Vietnam
42. Surfed Vietnam with Dat
43. Meetup with Antonio of Spain
44. Hosted by Jeson and Kha of Naga City, Camarines Sur
45. Traveled Albay with Steph (Canada), Kha (Camsur) and Julie (Albay)
46. Surfed at Julie's Couch
47. Meetup with Julie and Jopz of CS Albay
48. Awesome Bukidnon Roadtrip with Jogs, Kaye, Mikoy and Penny
49. Nightout with CS CDeO
50. Reunited with CS Pampanga during the Holidays
51. Organized a Chinese New Year trip in Binondo with CS Pampanga.
52. Couchsurfed Safwan, Ikhwan and Chris' couch in Brunei
53. Couchsurfed Adam's couch in Kota Kinabalu.
54. Traveled around Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia with Adam (Malaysia), Anne (USA) and Andris (Indonesia).
55. Hosted Tomek and Magda of Poland.
56. Surfed Suko's Couch in Jakarta
57. Traveled around Jakarta with Suko and John Romeo (PH).
58. Meetup with CS Bandung Indonesia.
59. Surfed DJ's couch in Jogjakarta.
60. Coffee with CS Jogja.
61. Traveled to Umbul Ponggok Spring with CS Jogja.
Forgive me if I missed someone/something. It has been 4 years since I joined this wonderful group. I saw this site through a website, signed up, and after 4 years, it became a lifestyle. One of my guests asked me, "Are you getting tired of hosting people?" Bluntly, my answer was a Yes. Yes,I get tired but it will never be a burden. Hosting people is an opportunity to meet people, share your culture, to break a routine and most importantly, to serve people. You will find this cheesy, but its true.
Couchsurfing is an Oxymoron. It will always be a peaceful chaos.
When I travel, I prefer meeting locals and do local things. I want to immerse and be part of the culture since I am dreaming of becoming a global citizen.
- chinese new year
Music, Movies, and Books
I love watching International Movies. So if you can share some of your movies (with subtitles), I will appreciate it. I also loooove documentaries. Ron Fricke's films are just amazing. Try Samsara, Baraka, and Koyaanisqatsi. I love Pedro Almodovar's Wild Tales and Wong Kar Wai's Happy Together and Chungking Express. I also love geeky movies/shows such as Harry Potter, Marvel movies, Lord of the Rings trilogy, Doctor Who Series-- In short, I am a geek! TV Shows: Outsourced, Lost, Ancient Aliens, Flashforward, How I Met Your Mother. I like the Fairy Tail anime series.
Music: I love classical and instrumental music. I love Beethoven, Bach, Vivaldi, Mozart, etc. I also love Celtic music and a bit of Ancient Chinese music. I also love the music of Eddie Vedder, Sufjan Stevens, Imogen Heap and Regina Spektor. I love Original Pinoy Music (OPM) especially those with social relevance like Asin, Gary Granada and Joey Ayala.
Books: Neil Gaiman, Haruki Murakami, Donald Miller, Bob Goff and Rob Bell.
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
- The WHOOOOLE PHILIPPINES (not being bias)
- Traveled alone in Singapore
- Got lost in Hong Kong
- Free Shuttles in Macau
- Backpacking trip with my parents in Cambodia and Bangkok
- Played in the rain at Khao San Road
- Motorcycle Rides in Hanoi, Vietnam
- Boat rides in Kampung Ayer, Brunei
- Eating Chicken Wings, Drinking Heineken, during the Sunset in Tanjung Aru Beach, Kota Kinabalu with a private DJ!
- An enlightening experience in Java, Indonesia.
- Hiked Igidae in South Korea
- Hugged a World Heritage (Miyajima) in Japan
Last February 7, 2013, I started a "Get well soon" project for my Grandma who was diagnosed with Cancer. I asked couchsurfers to send their pictures with a message for my grandma. 143 Couchsurfers from 54 Countries sent their pictures. It was awesome! Faith in humanity, restored!
Teach, Learn, Share
TEACH: I can teach people some basic Filipino Words and Filipino Culture (the way I saw it for 26 years). I am not really a teacher, but I am a student of everything. Please bear with me.
LEARN: I want to learn how to cook.
SHARE: We can talk about anything.
What I Can Share with Hosts
If you host me, I think I can share some of our native delicacies of my hometown, since I live in the culinary capital of our country.
I can also share some Filipino movies, books or anything Filipino.
Countries I’ve Visited
Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Viet Nam
Countries I’ve Lived In