Not Accepting Guests
- Last login about 8 hours ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Darryl’s full profile.
I'm a strange blend of a left-brained creative. I'm organized and deliberate but open and curious. I'm a silent observer but a brazen explorer. My biggest interest these days is minimalism and breaking into a world of new options and possibilities through the narrowing of focus and the shedding of the unnecessary. I'm a night person, an amateur writer, a designer of systems, and an exporter of useless facts and sideways humor. Let's surf together and ride the wave of ideas, try new things, think new thoughts, and make the summer blaze because our prime is so short.
If you're sending me a request, extra points if you include in your request some of the most unusual or countercultural aspects of your life, history, or philosophy. Please disregard all social norms about "TMI", "Politically Correct", "Appropriate", "Polite", "Normal" and be fully you. I host a range of people but I particularly love to host and stay with people who have something bizarre going on so we can skip past the weather and have interesting conversations about whatever you are into.
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
I love the foods, sights, and activities but at the end of the day, meeting the awesome people of each new adventure is what makes it all worth it. I like to remain open to the ideas, customs, and beliefs of each surfer and share good conversation and unique memories.
Also, I'm in my head so much. One of my current struggles is learning to live in the moment and appreciate the here and now. If anybody can help me with that I'd be eternally grateful :-)
- classical music
- social science
- wild camping
- film music
- free camping
- experiential design
Music, Movies, and Books
The epic journey of "Europa Europa"
The slick sass of "Mr. and Mrs. Smith"
The free escape of "Blue Lagoon"
The satirical wit of "Over the Hedge"
The self-actualization of "The Devil Wears Prada"
The nostalgic innocence of "Motocrossed"
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
Being loved for who I am everyday by my amazing girlfriend
Teach, Learn, Share
I can offer you my focus and sincere company and the confidence that I'm easy-going and low-maintenance. Speak freely, share your truth, and be authentically you because I am open to who you are and you will not offend me.
What I Can Share with Hosts
If at the end, we've thought a thought we've never thought, I'd consider it a success! Moreover, I promise to surf with integrity. After being on here long enough and seeing how things go sometimes, it is even more important to me to treat every surfer with respect and decency. This means upholding a 5-point pledge.
1) I will never ignore another surfer. We're all human. If you message or request me and I don't respond please keep trying; either it is a tech error or I've missed your message, but I will respect all surfers enough to dignify their existence and respond with an accept, a reply, or even a simple decline if time is a factor.
2) I will not dishonor my commitments. Barring extenuating circumstances I will neither confirm a visit and then no-show nor will I cancel your visit and leave you stranded.
3) I will NEVER ghost another surfer. I will have the integrity to communicate openly and honestly even when it's awkward or when there is bad news to deliver.
4) I will not ditch a surfer I've made arrangements with simply because something better has come up.
5) I will never use another surfer. If I don't have the time to meet the agreed upon expectations of my fellow surfers, I don't have the time to surf.
Countries I’ve Visited
Australia, Canada, Guatemala, Malaysia, Mexico, Pakistan, Singapore, Thailand