- Last login about 1 hour ago
Join Couchsurfing to see David’s full profile. It’s free!
To make a difference in the world through the social services
I am originally from Memphis, TN and have spent two years in Chicago, three years in the central Philippines working as a Peace Corps Volunteer, I worked in Australia, traveled around South East Asia, and have lived for seven years in the Portland area. I am here because this is a place that I love. I am an a fool for the outdoors and am a rafting guide as well. I also enjoy traveling the coast and watching the surf roll in.
Who I am in one sentence: I am a NPR listening, Southern born, outdoor loving, God fearing, travel crazed, center-left leaning, food loving, adventure seeking, risk taking, football following, foreign policy wonk, science loving kind of guy! There is a lot more to me than that, but it is a start.
Things that I take very seriously are (with a little more detail):
-My relationships with others: It does not matter if you are just a friend or something more. I value a person's time and effort that they put into a friendship and I always return the effort.
-Social Justice: After working and living in Chicago social justice became a part of what makes me "me." I believe in the rights of all and strive to be a part of the solution rather than the problem. I am still searching for an outlet to express this in Portland, but as of late my church is starting to provide the right avenues so stay tuned.
-I love the outdoors: I moved to Oregon to become a rafting guide. From there i learned to rock climb and am now starting to learn more about snow sports such as Snow Shoeing, and some mountaineering.
-Adventure: I am not someone who just likes to sit around all the time. If someone is up for doing something then I am out the door. It could be anything from going on a hike, to swing dancing, to playing board games, or just a night out with friends. If you give me a call and I have the time, I will be there.
-My teams: I am a sports fan. I grew up watching the Buffalo Bills, although our recent history is not inspiring I still have hope for the future (my mother and father both grew up there and I have spent many summers there). I have also grown to love the Memphis Grizzles, and Portland Timbers. As for college I will always love the Memphis Tigers.
-Respect for others: I am a person who wishes to respect other people’s culture, and morals. I am not a person wishes to enforce my will on others.
-Food: I love to cook for others and not just myself if I can avoid it. I am always down for exploring other recipes and like expanding my own knowledge base.
I am a very spiritual person. I believe that i am called to do many things in my life. I am very positive person when it comes to how i view the world around me. As long as people are willing to respect who i am as a person i will in turn give them the same respect. I am a very free wheeling person but i always have a general plan. So as a whole i tend to fall in the middle when it comes to alot of my perspectives
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
HOW I PARTICIPATE IN COUCHSURFING
I believe that it is a great opportunity to meet others and explore different cultures and views. I am a host at heart but it seems that many of my experiences are surfing right now.
I have done cross country travels in the US and stayed at different peoples homes for the night and up to ten. I have also stayed on in various peoples homes throughout the Philippines.
1. Philippines- Hosted Niki on Siquijor Nov 16-19 2010
2. Philippines-Traveled with Flo and Nicole for a day 11-30-09
3. Singapore-Met Nisa for a day on the town and many many other CSers at a gathering that same night. 1-3-10
4.Thailand-Dinner with some couchsurfers of many nationalities in Bankok. what an unexpected night. 1-24-10
5. Vietnam-Was Hosted by Thao in Hue, Vietnam for two days
6. Australia- Surfed for three months in Melbourne along with many CS events each week.
7. Outback Australia-surfed and had coffee with Surfers in Alice Springs
8. Philippines-Traveled with Sare Engstrand in the Philippines
9. Philippines-Was hosted by 4 couchsurfers in the Southern Philippines
10.Vietnam-Meet with different CS travelers all over Vietnam.
11. United States-Surfed in Atlanta GA for a conference
12. United States-Hosted lasted minute surfers in Memphis
13. United States-Surfed in Wichita KS
14. United States-Have become active in CS in Portland OR
15. United States- New York City- A last minute trip turned into the time of my life while being hosted by Katarina
16. Colombia - Bogota- surfed with a family for three days
17. Colombia - Cali- surfed for two nights
18. Ecuador - Quito - Met many CSers at a local hostel and surfing with a Peace Corps Volunteer for 6 days
19. Peru - Trijillo - surfed for two nights with Jesse
20. Peru - Lima - Went to a CS gathering in Miraflores
21. Ecuador- Catamayo- Ran from a landslide with Nicky
22. United Kingdom- London- Hosted by Becky
23. Spain- Seville- hosted by Alfonso and family
24. Malmo - Copenhagen - Hosted by Sara
25. Scotland - Edinburgh- Participated in ER 7
26. Hosted Lise for 4 days in Portland, OR
27. United States, Boston - Surfed with Katie
28. Hosted: Angela in Portland Oregon
29. Hosted: Tina in Portland
30. Hosted: 2 Australians for a day
31. Was hosted in Seattle
32. Was hosted in Hong Kong
-Eating new foods
-A random experience
-Looking at a good view
-Meeting new people
-Most adventure water sports
-Life in general
- scuba diving
- rock climbing
Music, Movies, and Books
reading materials- Time, National Geographic, History books, and some fiction, investigative journals.
Music- I will give anything a chance, but overall i am a singer songwriter people (Mat Kearney is my favorite choice)
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
Swam with whale sharks
Teach, Learn, Share
If in anyway my experiences in life (even if painful) i would be more than happy to share those experiences with others.
What I Can Share with Hosts
I can make amazing from scratch pizza!
Countries I’ve Visited
Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, England, France, Hong Kong, Italy, Laos, Malaysia, Peru, Scotland, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, United States, Vatican City State, Viet Nam
Countries I’ve Lived In
Australia, Greece, Mexico, Philippines, United States