Not Accepting Guests
- Last login over 1 year ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Karen’s full profile.
After 7 years of living abroad , traveling, falling in and out of love, experiencing all types of emotions from excitement to loneliness, meeting amazing people from different parts of the world, working, constant farewells, I am no longer the same girl that left her home at 22 to live in China, not knowing what to expect but loving all the possibilities.
Its difficult to describe yourself when you feel every day that passes by you change more and more, specially living abroad. Yet there are a few things I can guarantee :
I Love meeting people from all over the world. It has always amazed me how regardless of our different languages, cultures, habits, we can still be connected by something stronger:love and friendship. I loved this phrase on a host’s profile : "it doesn’t matter that we don’t speak the same language, if we can laugh together thats more than enough”
Love trying new food, doesn’t have to be anything fancy , sometimes the most amazing experiences can be in the street with a couple of beers.
Will talk to you about brands at a professional level ( due to my career) but don’t expect me to spend on a purse that can easily cost me a ticket to another part of the world .
Being away from family for such long periods of time, has taught me to value a cup of coffee in the morning, a sunset, a sunrise, a home cooked meal, a deep conversation, a hug, and a smile, which if you meet me, you will see it tattooed on my wrist (-;
Amateur Photographer. Love capturing unexpected moments
If not now, when?
Friendship has no boundaries.
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
HOW I PARTICIPATE IN COUCHSURFING
It has been a wonderful experience! It has given me the opportunity to meet locals and get to know the city even deeper. Being with locals is great to know the must and must nots within a city, and you get to make a new friend!
In Singapore I met the most kind-hearted Taiwanese man who opened up the door to his home for me and was incredible to share time with him and for him to spend some time showing me around the city. I was amazed to find people with such kind, helpful, and sincere heart!
In India I also stayed with a very kind surfer. It was great because not only did he give us a place to stay, but he showed us around the city and he let us try delicious local Indian food. We also went out together to a nice bar, went sightseeing, so it was great as we were able to connect more. He was extremely helpful as well as he supported us booking train tickets, made our life much easier. Extremely grateful to him!
I love all kinds of music whether its going to a Latin bar and dancing salsa all day long, to sitting in a bar listening to some nice rock drinking beer. I enjoy learning about different languages, I studied french and portuguese (yet I came to China, life sure gives us surprises) I also love eating and trying different kinds of cuisine
- red wine
- different cultures
Music, Movies, and Books
Love movies, anything that can make me laugh or scare the hell out of me. Just finished reading Shantaram. Memoirs of a Geisha my all time favorite book.
PS: I looove going to the movies, and trust me when I say that I can guarantee you that I will be 40 or 50 0r 60 years old and will still love going to the cinema. I find it amazing that for a period of 2 hours I can immerse myself in another world; no worries, no concerns, just an amazing movie and a big bucket of popcorn. (-;
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
- Deciding to go to China for 6 months and staying 6 years! hahaha
-Backpacking in India for 12 days and sleeping in Jaisalmer desert. Never had I seen so many stars in one night and just imagine how that sunrise was!
- Being hosted by an amazing Taiwanese in Singapore and then receiving his published book with me in it! ( he has couchsurfed over 400 people and dedicated sections of his book to different surfers, including me!, brought tears to my eyes when I received it. You can see the pic on my photos
- Laughing and talking with a friends from Iran, Brazil. ,Russia, Spain, Ukraine, Egypt, Indonesia, Phillippines, Russia, and China. This group of people were my first family in China and I will never forget them. Now we are all scattered all over the world but they will always stay in my heart. They know exactly who they are.
--Going to a Chinese wedding, of a special person who regardless of our totally different cultures, is til this day, my best friend.
-Meeting the love of my life in China and moving to Uruguay where he is from.
Teach, Learn, Share
Make time for quiet moments, because the world is loud and God whispers.
What I Can Share with Hosts
I will share with you:
- Crazy traveling stories such as that one time I backpacked in india and didn't take a shower in 3 days as I was traveling in the night trains from one city to the next , or how I swam in one of the holiest rivers in India, or how I went to a Chinese wedding and loved all the rituals behind it, or how I swam in the same beach where Life of Pi movie was filmed in Taiwan, or how I poured a Chinese alcohol in mosquito bites that were driving me crazy because I simply didn't know how to ask for medicine at the local pharmacy in China.. ( Ps: it worked) ,
- I can also share with you my love of marketing, specially design thinking. In China I worked in this field for a while and had the chance to travel to a Design Thinking workshop in Amsterdam. I am also quite passionate about it .
Last but not least I will share with you a constant smile which if you meet me, you will see it tattooed on my wrist (-;
Countries I’ve Visited
Argentina, Cambodia, Egypt, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, Kenya, Laos, Macao, Myanmar, Netherlands, Panama, Philippines, Rwanda, Singapore, South Korea, Tanzania, Thailand, Uganda, Uruguay, Viet Nam
Countries I’ve Lived In
China, Colombia, United States, Uruguay