Liam Murphy's Photo

Verified Profile

  • Payment verified
  • Phone verified
  • Government ID not verified

Wants to Meet Up

  • Last login about 3 hours ago

Join Couchsurfing to see Liam’s full profile.

Overview

  • 1 reference 1 Confirmed & Positive
  • Fluent in English; learning Georgian, Thai, Turkish
  • 30, Male
  • Member since 2019
  • Musician
  • BA, DipMus
  • From Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
  • Profile 100% complete

About Me

I am a racquet-sport afficionado, bike-packer, volunteer-archaeologist, YouTuber, musician, and computer-tinkerer.

I enjoy jogging, going to the gym, repairing bicycles, comparing different languages, learning new musical instruments, and meeting fellow travellers.

I have had several 'careers' of sorts; I have spent several years each working as an archaeologist (Bar Ilan University), a classical clarinettist, audio engineer (RAAF), academic tutor (University of Melbourne), and flute/sax/clarinet teacher. Nowadays I teach music online and produce YouTube videos :)

I travel with my wife (Melissa) and daughter (Mira, born April 2021). Mira is a great houseguest; she sleeps 11 hours every night, and loves to play with everyone she meets! We have another baby on the way - he will likely be born in Tbilisi in mid-May 2022.

To get to know us a little better, check out..

...our YouYube videos:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCxiC_Pmoy2orPTF7akISw6w

...and Melissa's Instagram:

@melissa.ann.murphy

Why I’m on Couchsurfing

I am a very social person!

I love to meet new people, hear their stories, learn from their experiences, and give the same back to my hosts.

Whenever I think fondly on my travels, I recall the shared-experiences I've had with locals.

We tend to spend almost all our days out of our host's hair; we walk c. 15 kilometres most days. We love to get to know new places the slow way :)

My family is very physically active - non smokers and very occasional drinkers.

Interests

  • fitness
  • gardening
  • music
  • tennis
  • philosophy
  • squash
  • it
  • family
  • grammar

Music, Movies, and Books

Nightwish, Bill Withers, Martin Fröst (clarinettist), Fanfare Ciocarlia, Toto, Sungazer, Giora Fiedman...

I enjoy very short movies! American Psycho, jungle book, 12 angry men, lion king, life of Brian,

I read almost exclusively non fiction, mostly in the economics, lifestyle, fitness, diet, tech genres.

Movies, books, and music are about 10% of my entertainment, the other 90% is podcasts! Namely: econtalk, philosophize this, the WAN show... to name a few.

One Amazing Thing I’ve Done

While I was excavating in Israel, I discovered a 4000+ year-old Egyptian scarab with an inscription which my friend read right out of the ground! (picture in my CS album)

The scarab was made of faience. The inscription read 'Men Kheper Re' (Thuthmoses III) - it now rests in the Eretz Israel Museum.

What I Can Share with Hosts

Tennis court and equipment. Great view of Melbourne, home-cooked food every day, at least one bicycles for guests, internet connection, desktop computer/home-office arrangement, a baby to play with : )

Countries I’ve Visited

Afghanistan, Canada, France, Germany, Iceland, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United States

Countries I’ve Lived In

Australia, United States

Join Couchsurfing to see Liam’s full profile.

My Groups