Maybe Accepting Guests
- Last login about 23 hours ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Maarten’s full profile. It’s free!
Plan the next trip. Always. (And grow up... it's about time for that... :-) )
In one word: happy. In one sentence: trying to achieve a 'best-10%-level' in everything I do but failing miserably at this.In a philosophical sense: in a way, how you feel about yourself doesn't matter at all because you are the only one who has acces to these feelings and thoughts. So, I geuss you are what other people think you are and having said so, you probably better just read the references or take a look at the pictures, here on CS or on some other site (Picasa or on Facebook).
Note on open-mindedness: nearly every CS-member says he or she is "open-minded", which is probably true (after all, you are on couchsurfing)... a quote I found:"Be open-minded, but not so open-minded that your brains fall out." - Jacob Needleman
Oh, and I like Frisk mints and cashew nuts (the salted kind). And dogs.
See my new "mission" above...I guess you already heard the news (if not: see this group). So, I'm looking into different hospitality exchange websites to replace this beloved couchsurfing profile of mine. Until I found a new home: you can ofcourse still contact me through CS!
Be nice cause nice guys finish first! :-)
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
HOW I PARTICIPATE IN COUCHSURFING
Well, surfing, hosting and simply introducing people to this wonderful idea!
1) Nina, summer 2007, Slovenia,
2) Gandalf & Sara, summer 2007, Slovenia,
3) Adrien Carriay, Antoine Paré and Carmen Rouanet, September 2009, Pau, France,
4) Vince and Ela, September 2009, Toulouse, France,
5) Elin Karlsson, July 2010, Stockholm, Sweden,
6) Luraya Lukas (and friends), July 2010, Orsa (Skattungbyn), Sweden,
7) Lisa Payne and Daniel Lundkvist, July 2010, Östersund, Sweden,
8) Jörgen Carlberg, July 2010, Järvsö, Sweden
9) Anna Lindholm, July 2010, Uppsala, Sweden,
10) Faroogh Hassan, July 2010, Uppsala, Sweden,
11) Patrik Järvelöv, July 2010, Nyköping, Sweden,
12) Annica, Torkel, Linnea, July 2013, Karlstad, Sweden,
1) Magen and Derrick (USA), june 2008
2) Trike (are Stephen and Xania) (Canada), july 2008,
3) Esther (Germany), august 2008,
4) Hadewijch (Belgium) and Maria (Poland), august 2008.
5) Trike (again) and Ineke, february 2009,
6) Catherine (Switzerland), april 2009,
7) Linde, Ryanne and Cleo (Netherlands), July 2009,
8) Trike (once again... :-) ), May 2010,
9) Fabiana and Jonathan Fain (Italy & Israel), August 2010,
10) Rachel Agius (Malta), August 2010,
11) Ioana Florea (Romania) and Adriana (USA), September 2010,
12) Sijtje Jansen (Netherlands), October 2010,
13) Penny Johnson (US/Egypt), November 2010,
Sports: preferably outdoors. Another great quote on sports:"We enjoy silent, human-powered sports done in nature, where the reward involves no audience and no prize other than hard-won grace. These entail risk, require soul and invite reflection. They bring us closer to the natural world and to ourselves." - Patagonia (ecological outdoor clothing brand)Some sports in particular: fartlek, skiing (freeride, backcountry, freestyle, ski de randonnée, you name it!), hiking, trekking, rock climbing, bouldering, tennis, trail running, volleyball, swimming, triathlon, did I mention skiing?, ... well, I just really like (outdoor) sports I guess...
Further, traveling ofcourse, playing guitar, vegetarianism, philosophy, going out for a beer, singing when there's no one around, going out for more beers, reading, nature, ecology, photography, science, physics, going out for way too many beers, math, computers, php & mysql, python, open source, Drupal, programming, linux, ubuntu, Debian, Crunchbang, Symfony,... you name it, and I'm interested!
Music, Movies, and Books
Movies: I like lots of movies, especially the smaller low-budget ones but I'll just name one, which still is my all-time favourite... 'Il Postino'.
Books: 'Pillars of the Earth' by Ken Follet is still number one.
One book that changed the way I look at things is 'The Evolution of Cooperation' by Robert Axelrod. It is not a novel but VERY much worthwhile reading...Books I would like to read you can find here. My Google bookshelf you can find here.
Music: One song I REALLY like right now is Everything Is Moving So Fast by Great Lake Swimmers.
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
According to my mum: to watch me grow up without getting myself killed on several occasions...According to my legs and feet: I managed to finish the 'dodentocht' (litterally 'trip of death') twice now, a 100km/24h-walk...
Last time (2008) Céline finished as well and in a way which is quite a bit more amazing then me!Adrenaline wise, skydiving is waaay up there. What a thrill!
Teach, Learn, Share
Time for another quote, which I hope makes my religious point of view clear:"blasphemy is a victimless crime..."
Apart from that I could learn you how to ski, but that's probably of little use when couchsurfing. I should really try that though: go on a couchsurfing skiing trip...
Ok, I want to learn: singing, (rock-)climbing, horseback riding and how to meditate...
Oh, and if you could learn me how to smoke the pipe, that would be awesome too!
Countries I’ve Visited
Austria, Cambodia, France, Greece, Italy, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
Countries I’ve Lived In
Belgium, Sweden, Switzerland