Not Accepting Guests
- Last login about 2 years ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Marianne’s full profile. It’s free!
Hello! I'm Marianne. I am originally from the south of France but I have come to the Netherlands to study Liberal Arts and Sciences. I am majoring in social sciences and I am writing my thesis about the Harry Potter fandom (that's right!). Next year I will be moving to Amsterdam for my master's degree. I am a laid-back person, and I always strive to be as respectful and kind as possible. I geek out about a few things, namely Harry Potter, books, history, anecdotes about the places I visit... I love dancing, whether I dance to a beat in my head or to the music in a club. But what I love the most is seeing my friends having fun. If they're happy, I'm happy!
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
I'm interested in all kinds of people and I enjoy hearing and sharing stories. I love discovering new places - especially the ones that don't make it in the tour guides. One of my favorite things about my studies is how international they are. Meeting new people whom I wouldn't otherwise meet is kind of great, and I am starting to miss that feeling. I hope I can get making new friends via couchsurfing! :)
Couchsurfing is totally new to me though, so do let me know if I am not following some etiquette rules. I learn fast and I have good intentions!
When I'm not busy learning about other people's passions, I like to make Harry Potter references, listen to a bunch of different music and dance to myself (and/or with others).
I love books, I write for fun, and I'm a fan of languages. I write English subtitles for my sister's YouTube channel about physics. I'm also a dancer - I don't get to do much of it anymore, but it is still definitely a big part of me!
I have very broad interests (as studying Liberal Arts would suggest) so whether I am learning about history, science, literature or sports, I'm happy! I am especially interested in how people communicate, what makes a good story, and how to create friendships.
I also like to reflect about the meaning of life while sipping on my water. But I promise, I'm a chill person really - I can get philosophical, but only if you like that too! ;)
- social science
Music, Movies, and Books
- The Stranger, by Albert Camus, has the be one of my favorite books. It's a very quick and easy read but somehow, it gets you to reflect on the meaning of life.
- Obviously, Harry Potter is a huge favorite of mine. I grew up reading the books and they are one the main reasons I can speak English.
- Anything with dragons. Really, I don't need much.
- The Night Circus. Such a beautiful read... Magical, mysterious, mmmh...
- The Little Prince. It's a French children's book, but it is so full of life lessons. Anyone should give it a read. So touching.
- The Martian! But I must admit that I enjoyed the film more :)
- 1984. Eye-opening. What else can I say about it that hasn't already been said?
- A Short History of Nearly Everything. Bill Bryson's guide to scientific discoveries, what they mean and how and why they happen
- Lean In. A super important read that opened my eyes about internalized misogyny and what can be done to counter it.
As for music, I genuinely like a lot of different genres: classical, pop, rock, indie, country, techno, etc.
I like to watch TV series more than I do movies; I thoroughly enjoyed How to get away with murder and I'm currently watching Orange is the new black. My guilty pleasures are more easy-going series like How I met your mother though, The Nanny... Please don't judge me.
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
I have moved to the Netherlands by myself at the age of 17.
I have worked really hard to become a good dancer.
I have played Quidditch.
I have explored New York City for my 20th birthday.
I have followed a course on FAIRY TALES. That's right, fairy tales. Best class evah.
I have lived in Canada - and loved every second of it, whether I was ice skating in the city, watching ice hockey games, listening to Drake or sipping on my Tim Hortons drink.
I have sought help to 'get over' my anxiety, and I am now making so many more plans and living life to the fullest. Weehee :)
Countries I’ve Visited
Belgium, England, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Morocco, Portugal, Spain, Turkey, United States
Countries I’ve Lived In
Canada, France, Netherlands