Maybe Accepting Guests
- 100% response rate
- Last login about 3 hours ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Matthew ’s full profile.
I try to live by the phrase that "we seldom realize the significance of a moment until after it becomes a memory!"
- To make a difference in this life!
- Treating others with the respect and kindness that they deserve and to expect the same in return
- To be an inspiration to others and to be inspired
- Understanding and realizing understanding the significance of the "moment" and to never live with regrets
Facebook Profile: Matthew B. Ryan
(Please read my profile and references first and feel free to ask any questions at all!)
My apartment is right in downtown Victoria, in the James Bay Area, just behind the Parliament buildings and major bus loop. It's just an 8-minute walk to the Inner Harbour and downtown and Ogden Point where the Cruise Ships stop en route to Alaska.
To make a difference with those I cross paths with and in sharing experiences with amazing people. To embrace each moment and to never take anything for granted. You never get second chances in lifetime...only new opportunities.
Most people consider me to be a genuinely friendly, easy-going and down-to-earth guy who is absolutely just passionate about life! I try to make the most of everything...and to live with little or no regrets. Definitely love meeting people from different cultures and backgrounds; making new friends from around the World and enjoying new experiences! Things that I love doing most include camping, hiking, travelling, road-trips, playing squash, canoeing, a glass of wine and a movie, socializing and almost ANY type of adventure!
- Never say never
- Tomorrow is another day
- People will always surprise you
- You seldom realize the significance of a moment until after it becomes a memory!
- Dreams are only possible if you try
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
HOW I PARTICIPATE IN COUCH-SURFING
It's truly unbelievable how many of the CS's I've hosted who have become lifelong friends in addition to many who were referred by them. Some of my fondest memories and experiences now transcend everything else in this life because of random strangers I've met and able to share some time with.
I've lived in Canada most of my life and have travelled to every province and territory (except the Yukon)
I also worked as a volunteer at Tourism Vancouver for just over 11 years and have met some incredibly amazing people with whom I've shared some unforgettable adventures with and have developed many close friendships along the way. Having travelled extensively and to approx. 56 countries Worldwide has grounded me as a person about how fortunate some of us really are! I've hosted over 140 visitors from around the World and always fascinated to hear their "stories" and experiences.
I've since relocated to Victoria in search of some stability and security with my job and work for the Ministry of Environment now. My schedule is Monday to Friday so have little time during the weekdays and usually prefer having guests who will include a weekend day at least. Saying all that though, I also realize that life is much different for travellers and that timing is important and given those circumstances, would be willing to help out whenever I can.
As for me, I certainly prefer hosting others rather than surfing myself, but it's not out of the question of course. I've only "surfed" once in the Czech Republic with a couple of former Couch-surfers who also ended up becoming my roommates. It's truly remarkable to me that one can enjoy sharing experiences, cultures and ideas from around the World and don't even have to leave home! Thus far, I've met some really wonderful people. My mission in life is to make a difference with each person I meet...we have but this one life to live!
I'm a very down-to-earth and fairly diverse individual who enjoys everything from camping to hiking, canoeing, shopping, running, working out, playing squash, cooking, the theatre, road trips, volunteering, listening to music, watching movies, reading, socializing and of course travelling!
- working out
- rock climbing
Music, Movies, and Books
Favourite movies: (not possible to choose just 1)
- The Shawshank Redemption
- It's a Wonderful Life
- The Way Back
- The Red Violin
- Everything is Illuminated
- Lilies of the Field
- To Sir With Love
- Cast Away
- V for Vendetta
- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
- Schlinder's List
- Life is Beautiful
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- In America
Mostly into Pop, Rock, some Jazz, some country and a few oldies!
Too many books to mention however, I really enjoyed "The Alchemist"
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
A few to mention...
- Night Snow-mobiling on a mountaintop in Whistler, BC.
- An amazing 7 day dude ranch and cattle-drive in Kimberley, BC.
- Driving across Canada 3 times as well as to Yellowknife and having experienced the Northern Lights
- Several Portage and canoe trips in the Algonquin Park wilderness
- Hot Air Ballooning over Trakai, Lithuania
- Caving on Vancouver Island at Horne Lakes Caves
- An incredible experience/session with a Native Shamanic Healer
- Hiking Vulcan Conception in Ometepe, Nicaragua
- The Mayan Ruins of both Copan and Tikal
- A 32 day trip through mostly Eastern Europe, visiting 17 countries along the way
- Visiting the Moai sculptures on Easter Island
- Glacier hiking in Iceland
- Several sea-plane and helicopter tours
- Touring around the Highlands in Scotland
Teach, Learn, Share
We have but this one life to live...embrace each moment of every day for soon they will all become reflections of our yeterdays'
What I Can Share with Hosts
A welcoming environment, open-mindedness, knowledge, travel experiences, etc.
Countries I’ve Visited
Albania, Austria, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, England, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Mexico, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Northern Ireland, Peru, Poland, Romania, Scotland, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States, Wales
Countries I’ve Lived In
Canada, Trinidad and Tobago