- Last login almost 5 years ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Mike’s full profile. It’s free!
To obtain a challenging position where I can effectively contribute my skills as an ESL teacher / cultural linker who possesses multicultural communication skills
I am an ESL teacher and an avid traveler.
Experiential education is the best way to get to know the world and myself.
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
HOW I PARTICIPATE IN COUCHSURFING
I am a hands on person and believe everything through experience
I used to travel a lot to Southeast Asia when I was living in Taiwan. I often travel by myself and stay at the guest houses and hostels. I have learned quite a bit about life through my travel experience.
Sports, people, history, exotic places, taking pictures, fishing, outdoor
- outdoor activities
Music, Movies, and Books
Something about Mary, Jerry McGuire, Seinfeld, 80s music, oldies,
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
Mike’s Life Review. God is with me all the time
When I was working in Taiwan from 1998 to 2011
(1) September 21, 1999===> 921 earthquake 7.3 hit in Taiwan
(2) September 11, 2001 ====> 911 ==> The original plan was Taipei - San Francisco - Seattle. I flew United from Taipei to San Francisco. We were an hour away from SF and the nightmare had begun for all of us. My plane rerouted and landed at Vancouver International Airport. Who knew how many hours later, everything was a mess. I ended talking bus crossing USA/ Canadian border back to Seattle from Vancouver. The whole trip took me 24 hours :(
(3) March 31, 2002 ===> 331 earthquake. 6.8 I was shopping in the Costco with my ex-girlfriend and it was scary
(4) 2002 ===> I was Bali Indonesia in June 2002 (foreigners' bars) and then the bombers bombed the bars in October.
(5) 2003 ==> SARS outbreak hit in Taiwan
(6) 2004 ==> I was in Krabi, Ko Lanta, Ao Nan in January and then Tsunami hit same spots on December 26 2004
I had the opportunity to travel around SE Asia. I have been to Vietnam (2x), Angor Wat (Cambodia), Thailand (10+), Hong Kong (6+), Macau (4x), China (2x), Bali(Indonesia, The Philippines (3x), Australia, Malaysia (2x), Japan,
I love traveling :)
Teach, Learn, Share
Mike's Travel Wisdom
Hobby turns into interest
Interest becomes learning
Learning changes into motivation
Motivation becomes creativity
Creativity becomes thought
Thought becomes testing
Testing becomes trialing
Trialing becomes painful
Pain becomes hurt
Hurt becomes gaining
Gaining becomes experiencing
Experiencing becomes pleasuring
Pleasure becomes joy
Joy becomes knowledge
Knowledge becomes positive
Positive becomes wanting
Want becomes challenging
Challenging becomes I will do my best
Telling triggers wonder but the curiosity is not necessary to generate the action.
Showing shows care that would generate the action
Finally, I thank God for giving me the wisdom to appreciate and value.