Maybe Accepting Guests
- Last login 7 minutes ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Mark’s full profile.
I value honor and integrity in how one conducts themselves, and the ability to honestly respect the opinions of others, even if those opinions differ from their own.
To visit and experience the World, touching as many diverse cultures as possible. (100+ Countries is the goal)
I take pleasure in traveling to other cultures in my attempt to attain an enhanced understanding of the world through its people. My home is open for other travelers to share their experiences, be they US or foreign. Respect, understanding and enhancement of life are only attained through reciprocative conduct.
I value integrity and honor in how one conducts themselves, and the ability to honestly respect the opinions of others, even if those opinions differ from their own.
NOTICE - I can no longer host anyone from CS that has not hosted. (The only exception is, if you have just joined this once wonderful community and are seeking out real and personal experiences). If you have been on CS for a few years, have many references, but all as a guest, in my opinion you are not here as a real CS'er, you are abusing a system built on integrity and mutual respect. This action is prompted by a disgusting guest I had Feb 2019 without any hosting experience/references.
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
One of the best ways to understand a culture is to visit and take part in the daily lives of the people in the country you are visiting.
Inclusive of many things pertaining to human development and understanding of our importance both on and off this planet.
Music, Movies, and Books
100 Years of Solitude one of the best; The Alchemist; Guns, Germs, and Steel; Plus many many others that have opened the mind to wisdom.
Music - Jazz, Classical and some World music that would be country specific
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
Traveled 6 of the 7 the Continents: Asia, Australia, Africa, North America, South America and Europe
• Arranged home-stays within the areas visited as a way to assimilate myself into a particular countries’ culture
• Applied my medical education to provide assistance working with local aid organizations in hospitals and clinics in North Africa and South America
• Studied Spanish in Cusco, Bolivia; Trekked the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu; Swam in the waters of Lake Titicaca
• Christmas Eve Mass in the Bethlehem grotto (cave) where Christ was born
• Studied Arabic in Cairo while staying with a host family; Stayed in a Bedouin camp in the Sinai and Petra, Jordan
• Retreat in Buddhist Temple, Chang Mai, Thailand; Trekked the Himalayas in Nepal; Attended 3 day wedding in India; swam in the waters of the Ganges River
• Rode the Orient Express through China and Mongolia; Trekked the Great Wall and Inner Mongolia +++ Many more......
• 2017 had a 3 month 5 country East Africa experience (Serengeti National Park, Hell's Gate, Nairobi National Park) and more wildlife areas. 2 weeks on Zanzibar Island was great.
• 2018 had a 2 month 7 country Southern Africa experience (Victoria Falls; Kruger National Park; camped along side a beautiful river in Lesotho, just me the car and a tent ) to name a few. Fell in love with Cape Town.
• In each country visited, was able to study the culture and how these aspects could benefit my personal growth
Teach, Learn, Share
All of the above. A firm believer in life-long learning.
What I Can Share with Hosts
Travel related stories and some wisdom of the world from which I have learned much. With so much hosting over the last year, I now have a formula of activities for my guests. To find more, please read the positive references left on my profile.
Countries I’ve Visited
Afghanistan, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Burundi, Cambodia, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Djibouti, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Ethiopia, France, Germany, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Laos, Lesotho, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Mongolia, Morocco, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Northern Ireland, Oman, Palestine, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Rwanda, Scotland, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Swaziland, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Vatican City State, Viet Nam, Wales, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Countries I’ve Lived In
Philippines, United States, Viet Nam