Not Accepting Guests
- 100% response rate
- Last login 2 months ago
Join Couchsurfing to see MichelleFromADL’s full profile. It’s free!
To eat cheese and attend arts festivals all around the world
I'm a friendly, easy-going girl with a good knowledge of Adelaide and the hidden gems that lie within the city.
I work for arts festivals, and also love to spend my spare time at theatre performances or music concerts.
I love good wine and food, especially cheese. In fact, I run a group called 'Cheese Lovers Adelaide'.
I try to do, see and learn new things regularly, and to pursue work that I love.
Travel is important to me and every new place I go, I realise how little of the world I really know, so I'm looking forward to a lifetime of exploring.
I am also interested in 'collaborative consumption' and sharing economies, social enterprise, international development and charity.
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
HOW I PARTICIPATE IN COUCHSURFING
I have contributed to the Australia CS newsletter and have been involved in the Adelaide CS group.
3-4 Sept 2013 - surfed with Ruben + Jans in Utrecht, Netherlands
28-29 July 2013 - surfed with Clem & Fo in Lyon, France
28-30 June 2013 - surfed with GUINEVERUCA in Seattle, USA
25-27 June 2013 - surfed with Ben Bulmer in Vancouver, Canada
23-24 June 2013 - surfed with Brandon_n_Megan in Sacramento, USA
20-22 June 2013 - surfed with Marie in San Francisco, USA
15-19 June 2013 - surfed with BRAZENHUSSY in San Francisco, USA
13 June 2013 - surfed with Sandra in San Francisco, USA
30 May-2 June 2013 - surfed with Laura in Viennna, Austria
28-29 May 2013 - surfed with Birgit in Salzburg, Austria
25-27 May 2013 - surfed with Laura in Copenhagen, Denmark
21-22 May 2013 - surfed with Mario in Oslo, Norway
6-7 May 2013 - surfed with Rachael in Brighton, UK
1-4 May 2013 - surfed with Solene in Paris
10 Jul 2008 - surfed with Lukasz and Ania in Cambridge, UK
13-16 Jul 2008 - surfed with Karl and housemates in Norwich, UK
16-21 Jan 2009 - hosted Carina from Germany
29-30 Nov 2008 - hosted Natalie from BC, Canada
7-10 Nov 2008 - hosted Mikky and Kristin from Belgium
1-2 Nov 2008 - hosted Julie and Ashley from California, USA
12-15 Oct 2008 - hosted my first CSer, Celine from Belgium
30 May-2 June 2013 - attended 'Vienna Calling' annual event in Austria
12-15 June 2009 - attended the 'Edinburgh Rocks' event in Scotland, including dancing my feet off at the Ceilidh and relaxing at a film night in the Brass Monkey pub.
29 Jan 2009 - organised Adelaide group CS Meet at Duke of York pub
3 Dec 2008 - attended an Adelaide group CS Meet, a wine and chocolate tasting evening at the German Club
9 Nov 2008 - attended an Adelaide group CS Meet picnic in Botanic Park
12 Oct 2008 - attended Adelaide group CS Meet at the Exeter pub
13 Jul 2008 - attended a Norwich group CS Meet, UK
25 Jan 2008 - attended an Australia Day CouchSurfing barbecue in Adelaide
2 Dec 2007 - showed Heidi, Anja and Inga around Adelaide
- Working at large events and festivals (including Adelaide Fringe, Edinburgh Fringe, Dublin Fringe and Melbourne Comedy Festival)
- Going to concerts and music festivals
- Seeing live theatre
- Eating great food, including new and unusuals things
- Eating and learning about different cheeses
- Learning about photography and using my SLR camera
- Supporting small businesses in developing countries through www.kiva.org
Music, Movies, and Books
Ben Folds Five, Cake, Beck, Datarock, Gotye, plenty of Aussie music too
The William Shatner version of Pulp's "Common People" was a stroke of genius.
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
- Climbed the Sydney Harbor Bridge in Australia in 2006
- Took an elephant-back safari in Royal Chitwan National Park in Nepal in 2007
- Went to the Glastonbury, Latitude, Isle of Wight and T in the Park music festivals in the UK in 2008-2009
- Sponsoring two children through World Vision (one of the best ways to get that "warm, fuzzy" feeling of doing some good)
- Went to the Air Guitar World Championships in Oulu, Finland in September 2011
- Attended the Olympics in London in 2012
- Attended Eurovision in Sweden in 2013
- Trying strange foods, like fried tarantula and crickets in Cambodia!
Teach, Learn, Share
If I had just one day to spend in Adelaide, this would be my “Perfect Adelaide Day”:
- Start early in the morning with a wander through the Botanic Gardens on North Terrace.
- After returning to the North Terrace entry gate, walk down East Terrace and turn right into Rundle Street to window shop at the variety of quirky gift and fashion stores.
- Take a brief detour right off Rundle Street onto Frome Street to visit the Urban Cow Studio, featuring art exhibitions and crafts for purchase from local artists.
- Continue along Rundle Street, perhaps grabbing a quick coffee from one of the many cafes, then turn right onto Pulteney Street, left onto North Terrace to find the impressive Art Gallery of SA, followed by the SA Museum next door.
- Once you’ve had your art and history fix, you can access internet for free at the next building, the State Library.
- Turn left down Kintore Avenue to meet with Rundle Mall, Adelaide’s premier shopping strip, where you need to make sure to try some of the rich Haigh’s Chocolates on the corner of Rundle Mall and King William Street.
- Take a casual walk south along King William Street to Grote Street, where you'll find the historic Central Markets.
- Wander through the historic market building, enjoying tastings of fruit, cheeses and meats.
- Next to the Markets is the small but colourful Chinatown district, which leads through to Gouger Street.
- Gouger Street is a great place for people-watching as you leisurely stroll along, perhaps ending up at bustling, inexpensive East Taste restaurant for dinner.
- Meander from Gouger Street towards Victoria Square and head left along King William Street, right along Rundle Mall and continue through to Rundle Street, which has a distinctly different atmosphere after dark when the pubs and bars open their doors at this popular nightspot.
- Make sure to visit the Austral or the Exeter pub for a Coopers beer or glass of Barossa Valley wine.
- Conclude your perfect day in Adelaide at the Chocolate Bean dessert bar for rich cakes and great hot chocolates.
Countries I’ve Visited
Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Nepal, Netherlands, United Kingdom
Countries I’ve Lived In