Not Accepting Guests
- Last login about 7 hours ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Peter’s full profile. It’s free!
Learn about the world, have a positive impact wherever I go.
Study on my own, with a self-developed & still developing methodology.
Be non-superfluous, authentic. Not attempt to control chaos but embrace it.
Involve myself, participate & create projects that are fun, challenging and improving the world we live in.
Be a friend of the world.
Half-Chinese (Beijing) half-American (New York), born and raised in Switzerland (Geneva).
I've got a sturdy unconventional, customized approach to most everything - learning, talking, travel, friendships, relationships.
From mid-2013 to 2015 I was enrolled full-time at a distance learning university, kept up personal studies for ~ an hour a day, traveled as a lifestyle and worked as much as I needed to support myself (very little). Intense & challenging - just the way I like it!
In 2015, I dedicated a year to full-time travel, going from Persia to Arabia, then Indian to Sri Lanka, sailed on a 113 feet, 100 year old sailboat to Singapore (studying whales and dolphins along the way). Was homeless in Singapore for 5 days, loved it so much I stayed for a month.
Left with an amazing girl, spent the next year of my life with her, built my project at www.peterpan.in. Recently free & single again, writing, traveling and living!
Stable things throughout most of my life have been:
- Get amazed very quickly and get enthused and/or ecstatic about things very easily
- Open minded as most as possible while not compromising on critical thinking.
- Have had very different kinds of experiences with very different people which can be hard to synthesize linearly (whatever that means lol)
- Am like a sponge in the sense that I suck up the mood & attitudes of those around me and adjust to them quite thoroughly. I sometimes need to 'detox' from certain ways of thinking by being alone for a while.
- Sleep schedule makes no sense. I once logged it meticulously for 8 months straight only to find that there was no discernible pattern to it, apart from sleeping ~ 10 hours a day, often in multiple blocks. I can adjust to the people I stay with, I try to not make it an issue. I benefit from people helping me wake up.
- Have basically not watched TV (never alone, very rarely with other people) since I was 14 - a conscious choice. TV is mind pollution.
More on my website www.peterpan.in
Empathy, Compassion, Ethics, Reason, Science, Altruism, Untainted Love and Exploration.
Atheist, Rationalist, Empiricist.
I am aware of how ridiculously lucky I was to be born into the circumstances I was born into (great family on both sides, three native languages, born in Switzerland, etc.), and consider it my ethical duty to do my best to improve the circumstances of those who weren't as lucky and those to come.
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
In a few different places with (mostly) exquisite people. It has certainly enhanced my trips. I only request stays with people I find interesting, as I prefer being homeless than being bound to somehow I find boring.
- Self-studying (as in studying independently, not studying oneself - I used to be a Supermemo powerhouses and might resume my use of it soon)
- Deep/profound, intense discussions with intelligent, educated (through whatever means) open-minded people
- Having very different kinds of experiences with different kinds of people
- Nightlife! Talking to many different people, dancing like a nutbag, staying up till sunrise for breafast!
- Getting into impossibly weird scenarios and being amazed at where the wind can take you
- Mostly just sharing time with other human beings.
Friendship, love in its purest form. Of course, I love women & pleasure too!
Music, Movies, and Books
Genres I'm really into: Down-tempo, Chill-out, Post-rock, Acid Jazz, Trip-hop, Freak Folk, Electronica ..
Sample artists: Nujabes, Low Motion Disco, Klaus Schulze, Cunninlynguists, Ratatat, Bonobo, M83, The Album Leaf, M (the french dude with the awesome haircut), Bliss, Devendra Banhart, Sigur Rós..
Genres I'm fairly into: Rock Classics, EDM (trance, minimal, acid house, etc.), ...
I'm very curious to have people help me get me into new genres! (e.g. Opera, Death Metal, Blues, ...)
More popular artists I like/love as well: The Beatles, Gorillaz, The Strokes, etc.
Haven't had the time to delve into the lesser-known shelves of indie movies etc, yet. Would love to though.
- The Act of Killing by Oppenheimer. Holy shit, this movie is amazing.
- The Holy Mountain. What a mindfuck.
- Pretty much all of David Fincher (Fight Club, Se7en, Girl with dragon tattoo, ...)
- Pretty much all of Martin Scorcese (Departed, Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Casino, Aviator, ...)
- Pretty much all of Christopher Nolan (Batmans, MEMENTO, ...)
- Pretty much all of Tarantino (Django, Inglorious Basterds, ...)
- (Pretty much) all of Charlie Chaplin
- (Pretty much) all of Terry Gilliam (TWELVE MONKEYS, Brazil...)
- GOOD WILL HUNTING, LOTRs, Blue is the Warmest Color, Good Bad & Ugly, Amadeus, Leon the professional, La Haine, Mr Smith goes to Washington, MOONRISE KINGDOM, MR BEAN'S HOLIDAY, ...
- Pretty much all of Miyazaki (esp. Castle in the Sky), other Japanese movies (e.g. Paprika)
- Casino Royal & Quantum of Solace
- I usually find movies with Jim Carrey in them absolutely hilarious
- Not remotely into horror or gore movies. Nope.
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
What comes to mind, recent experiences:
- Having weekends that I like to think could fill entire (good,short) books on their own
- Have a couple returning from a honeymoon offer me and a friend two weeks of vacation in their home province (GuangXi)
- Being asked to produce my student card by a bike repair man trying to make me pay 'worker's price'. lol. (Beijing)
- Amazing generosity, goodness in people as well as repulsive stinginess and greed
- Getting hired by a company working for Samsung, having them send me to France (from China) to help them improve their handwriting recognition software despite not having completed high school.
- Managing a hostel in Tainan, Taiwan.
- Getting cheated like never before in Dhaka, recovering nearly everything multiple times after digging through slums and embassy areas to find the thieves responsible (one of the most overpopulated cities in the world, 15 million people)
- Crossing the Chinese-Burmese border visa-free, trekking through villages stuck in medieval times, sneaking past dozens of military checkpoints only to end up in a jail overnight... Waking up the next day to buffets and heartful welcomes from the entire police taskforce...
- Traveling with little to no money for 3 months from Bihar, India to Sri Lanka sailing to Singapore and staying for over a month with an amazing crew of skater-cinematographers.
- Running a crowdfunding campaign to share my travels in long-form, funded entirely by friends new & old + family. That's the project I'm working on this year.
God, so many I'd like to share but can't really write about here. Feel free to ask me if we meet, looking forward to sharing ludicrous stories with you!
Teach, Learn, Share
We can get to know each other better by connecting on FB (I try to be quite active there)!
Wechat ID: 18670369841
(Tell me you found me on CS!)
What I Can Share with Hosts
Myself, my energy & time and whatever I have. Sharing is caring. I treat hosts like friends because I treat strangers like friends.
Countries I’ve Visited
Austria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Canada, China, Croatia, England, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Ireland, Italy, Laos, Macao, Mongolia, Morocco, Myanmar, Nepal, Oman, Portugal, Qatar, Russian Federation, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, United States
Countries I’ve Lived In
China, Portugal, Switzerland, United States