Not Accepting Guests
- Last login about 2 months ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Sami’s full profile. It’s free!
To be a better person
I had left this section for last. But here I am, facing the difficult task to describe myself.
So... Hello there, I'm Sami and I'm a good person.
We might click, we might not, I'm sure our profiles won't ever give us the ultimate information to know it with certainty but at least we can get a few hints out of it. So I'll try to be as objective and honest as I can.
I'm easy-going and take life with humor which has helped to be a happy person despite difficulties.
My friends laugh with me and say I'm funny, I usually don't believe them but I suspect it's a self confidence issue.
I'm not shy. Not at all. I'm very social, and that's constant but I have this introvert-extrovert trait fluctuating up and down like a yo-yo. At this precise moment that I'm writing I have the introvert switch on, which means I find nothing more exciting than reading a book.
It also means that I prefer to meet with one person at a time and usually at daylight.
Introvert means that I dance like crazy at home
When I'm on my extrovert mood I just want to get out and be surrounded by a happy noisy crowd, meet new people and have fun. A regular mood while traveling, and as I'll be moving to Vietnam soon I think my inner switch might turn again.
Extrovert means that I dance like crazy at the disco.
I try really hard to stand for my values on a daily basis. I care for the world and I admire people who do the same.
I used to be vegetarian (and then vegan) but I stopped because of persistent and recurrent anemias. I'm OK with that anyway because I recently found a more efficient way to be ethical by adopting a zero-waste lifestyle. So far this has been difficult but possible, I'm still in a learning process so I feel both worried about the challenge that Vietnam will represent and excited about the opportunities it might bring. If it gets too difficult, at least I know that back in my country I'll feel like my pilgrimages to get vegetables here, eggs there, oil in that city, salt in the other one are easy-peasy!
I'm very emotional and introspective, and though I get along with very different kinds of people, I realized that I tend to get along better with people who share these traits.
I don't know what else can I say so I'll stop here.
I thought I'd leave a little mood indicator just at the end of this section that I'll update every time I logged in, so you know what kind of Sami you'll bump into.
The introvert mood will be represented like this: (╯º ∀ º╰ )
The extrovert mood will be represented like this: ¯\(☼ ∀ ☼ )/¯
That's it for now, looking forward to meet you dear reader,
Current mood: (╯º ∀ º╰ )
"Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony"
"Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries, know people. Let your memory be your travel bag."
I read this in Spanish so I'm sorry for the bad translation:
"She´s in the horizon. I come up two steps, she moves two steps away. I walk two steps, and the horizon runs away ten steps. However much I walk, I´ll never reach her. What´s Utopia for? For that: to walk"
I do my thing and you do your thing.
I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,
And you are not in this world to live up to mine.
You are you, and I am I,
and if by chance we find each other, it's beautiful.
If not, it can't be helped.
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
HOW I PARTICIPATE IN COUCHSURFING
As I'm updating this I must say that I haven't been active in CS at all for the last year, due to the particularly chaotic situation that my last university year brought. Holding three jobs at the same time, assisting to classes, doing a double-internship, a couple of hospitalization periods... a complete disaster.
BUT I used to be really active before, I loved assisting to the meetings and I must say that a few of the couchsurfers I met (either my guest, my host or just another participant at the meeting) turned into some of my most beloved long-lasting friendships.
* My first proper travel was one of the most exciting experiences I'd ever had and it wouldn't had been the same without CS.
* Through CS I met one of my best friends, my current boyfriend and countless amazing people that I keep in my heart.
- People. I know this sounds like the biggest cliché in CS but I thought that I'm entitled to say it since I'm psychologist. I love people. I love people so much that I wanted to study them!
- Whatever expression of art and creativity. Though I feel more drawn to certain expressions that actually correspond to the ones that I also try to perform. These include the written word, dance, painting, cuisine and fashion.
About the last one: I just started sewing and learning to embroider and I'm really excited with that.
Recently I found a huge movement of fashion designers committed with sustainability that take fabric wastes and second hand clothes and transform them into super beautiful pieces. I tried to do something similar but so far I just made a pretty decent bag... OK, well, actually it's AWESOME.
- Nature. Plants and flowers and fruits and vegetables drive me crazy.
- performing arts
Music, Movies, and Books
* Books (and a few comics in honor of my teen years):
Amelie Nothomb, Alessandro Baricco, Marguerite Yourcenar, Slawomir Mrozek, Yasmina Reza, Kurt Vonnegut, Haruki Murakami, Alan Moore, Patrick Süskind, George Orwell, Kyle Baker, David Lapham, Will Eisner, George R.R Martin, Leonard Cohen...
Suuuuuper varied, let's see...
- I love brazilian music, samba-funk, bossa nova and all that. (Jorge Ben Jor, Tim Maia, Vanessa da Mata, Tribalistas, Chico Cesar, Seu Jorge, Mayra Andrade...)
- Souly bluesy super passionate women (and men too) that make me cry and pull the most suffering faces while lip-synching (Aretha Franklin, Etta James, Shirley Brown, Sharon Jones, Ella Fitzgerald, Patty LaBelle, James Brown, Donny Hathaway, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Bill Withers and Lenny Williams just 'cause I love you' on loop)
- Spanish-speakers martyrs because sad music makes me happy (Chavela Vargas, Violeta Parra, Silvio Rodriguez, Victor Jara, Mercedes Sosa, Serrat...)
- Some rap and hip hop songs that I surprisingly liked because of the perseverance of my music-geek friends (Player's ball by Outkast, Remembering the future by Blitz the Ambassador, Slick Rick, De la soul, Young MC, Somedayz by Big K.R.I.T, Gimme some more by Busta Rhymes, Baby got back by Sir-Mix-A-Lot :D ...)
- Salsa, cumbia and bachata!!
- Instrumental music.
- Crap (too embarrassed to list)
Not very keen on them. "The Adventure Time" and "Frasier" are the exception to the rule.
I used to dream of one day making animation movies. Not anymore, but this is still my favorite genre.
My favorite director is Michel Ocelot (Kirikou et la sorcière, Princes et princesses, Azur et Asmar).
Some other movies I love: Song of the sea, Ernest et Celéstine, Le tableau, Les triplettes de Beleville, The Thief and the Cobbler (the original, un-finished one), Megamind, How to train your dragon, Mulan, Fantasy, Spirited Away, Kung Fu Panda; Up, Wall-e and Inside Out by Pixar....
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
Be hugged by one of my favorite writers, hitchhike 13 states of Mexico and stick the same amount of marshmallows into my mouth while playing chubby bunny.
Teach, Learn, Share
If you teach me popping and locking I'll make a show for you.
What I Can Share with Hosts
My cheerfulness and amazing company :D
Countries I’ve Visited
Belgium, Cambodia, France, Germany, Guatemala, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, United Kingdom
Countries I’ve Lived In
Mexico, Spain, Viet Nam