Stuart OBrien's Photo

Verified Profile

  • Payment verified
  • Phone verified
  • Government ID not verified

Maybe Accepting Guests

  • 100% response rate
  • Last login about 3 hours ago

Join Couchsurfing to see Stuart’s full profile.

Overview

  • 54 references 39 Confirmed & Positive
  • Fluent in English; learning Swahili
  • 44, Male
  • Member since 2006
  • Emergency Services Officer at Red Cross
  • Masters of Development Practice at UQ
  • No hometown listed
  • Profile 100% complete

About Me

Things I like...
Travel (obviously!)
Mountains
Turtles
Red Wine
Writing
Bushwalking
Nature
St Kilda FC
Philosophy
Sunshine
Hiking
Spicy food
Books
Free stuff

Why I’m on Couchsurfing

Couchsurfing is a great way to meet local people when travelling and keep that travelling feel alive when hosting. It is more fun than staying in backpackers or hostels - which I am now too old for (no more patience for people rolling in at 2am and shuffling about or turning lights on etc). I've had some great CS experiences as a guest (and a host), which I would never have had if I was not a part of the couchsurfing community.

I have couchsurfed with:
A Korean host in Rwanda
An Australian host in Qatar
A Spanish host in Wales
A Belgian host in Burundi
An Indian host in Austria
A Slovakian host in Romania
A Malaysian host in Poland
A Sri Lankan host in Oman
A South African in Timor Leste
And local hosts in USA (San Francisco, LA and Hawaii), Malaysia, Israel, Argentina, UK (London and York), Azerbaijan, Croatia, Bulgaria, Poland, Slovenia, Argentina, Timor Leste and Peru.

Met with couchsurfers in: Jamaica, Cuba, Thailand, Vietnam, Poland, Oman, Australia, Slovakia, Malaysia and Tanzania.

Hosted guests from: Spain, Israel, Germany, New Zealand, USA, Italy, Argentina, Netherlands, China, Turkey and France...

(95% of my experiences have been positive, the other 5% are now funny and weird stories that I can tell!)

Interests

  • writing
  • red wine
  • music
  • hiking
  • australian football
  • nature
  • travels

Music, Movies, and Books

I publish my travel stories at travelonastustring.com and have a bad habit of buying more books than I will ever be able to read :)

Music - a bit of everything including metal, jazz, 90's alternative, blues & roots, punk, basically everything except country and techno...

One Amazing Thing I’ve Done

Working and living in rural indigenous communities in Philippines
Backpacking through West African war zones
3 years working and living in Tanzania and Kenya
Working with refugees in Nauru and Australia
Leading rebuilding projects in Nepal and the trekking in Annapurna
Hitchhiking Eastern Europe
Hiking over 5,000m in Nepal and Tanzania
O trek and Inca Trail in South America

What I Can Share with Hosts

Travel stories, anecdotes, funny couchsurfing stories and musings on life...

Countries I’ve Visited

Albania, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Benin, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Chile, Colombia, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Côte d'Ivoire, Egypt, England, Fiji, Georgia, Ghana, Guinea, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Laos, Liberia, Malawi, Malaysia, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Montenegro, Morocco, Nauru, Nepal, New Zealand, Oman, Palestine, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Rwanda, Samoa, Scotland, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste (East Timor), Togo, Turkey, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United States, Vanuatu, Viet Nam, Wales, Western Sahara, Zambia

Countries I’ve Lived In

Australia, Kenya, Nepal, Philippines, Tanzania

Old School Badges

  • 1 Vouch

Join Couchsurfing to see Stuart’s full profile.

My Groups