Not Accepting Guests
- Last login almost 2 years ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Tom’s full profile. It’s free!
To see the amazing world for what it really is, meet interesting new people and to experience different cultures the way they're meant to be experienced!
Hi, I’m Tom and in July 2014 I’m going to be leaving my friends, home and desk job behind in Cheltenham, England to chase a dream of mine. I’ll be undertaking what will be an 18 month long photography project titled Captured Earth (www.CapturedEarth.com), travelling to over 50 countries around the world, eventually ending up back in my homeland of New Zealand. What’s more, the itinerary is “crowdsourced”, meaning the places I travel to are chosen by the public through the project’s website (www.CapturedEarth.com). In other words YOU get to choose where I go!
I’ll basically be uprooting my entire life to undertake the project, which involves capturing photographic stories of humanity from people in the countries I visit and then publishing them daily on the project’s website and social media pages. The aim is to have a continually evolving online visual collage showcasing some of the raw elements of humanity that exist inside every one of us, no matter our age, wealth, sex, religion, race or where we live.
I will be “couchsurfing” much of the journey, hence why I'm on here! I'm really looking forward to meeting some amazing people along my travels.
We're a curious bunch. I think the common trait among couchsurfers is that we are curious about new people and places, which are two of the biggest things we can do to open our minds.
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
HOW I PARTICIPATE IN COUCHSURFING
I've done a bit of hosting, but with my Captured Earth project I am now going to be the one surfing. Bring it on! So many great people to meet...
As I said above, I've done a bit of hosting, but prior to undertaking my Captured Project I've never "surfed". I can't wait to get started! :)
- Exploring new places
- Meeting new people
- Trying and learning about new and exciting foods
- Opening my eyes, ears and mind to different things
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
- Being on one of the small islands off Thailand on Boxing Day 2008 (anniversary of the Boxing Day Tsunami). A very moving experience with the locals remembering those who were lost.
- Hiking in the South Island of New Zealand and bathing in natural hotpools whilst watching snow fall all around us. There weren't any roads for miles and all we could hear was the rumble of avalanches around us. One of the most surreal and yet peaceful moments I've experienced.
Countries I’ve Visited
Australia, Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cambodia, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Portugal, Singapore, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom
Countries I’ve Lived In
New Zealand, United Kingdom