Wants to Meet Up
- Last login 4 days ago
Join Couchsurfing to see VANIDIO’s full profile. It’s free!
There used to be a field called "CURRENT MISSION". Well, my current mission is balance, and to spend enough time with my boyfriend Dave, whose travel stories you can read here http://www.davestravelpages.com/ :)
I would need a fairly large box to write "all about me", so I'll just stick to a couple of things that define me.
* My name is Vanessa!
* I am generally very straightforward and sincere and will say what I think.
* I'm a big big teaser, but I do have a serious side somewhere. I laugh a lot, even for no reason, after all laughing is contagious, and it's good for you. So, sometimes I act like a 6-year-old, which makes my 11-year-old nephew mad :)
* I hate alarm clocks, TV and insects.
* I show people around Athens for a living. While I wouldn't ask CSers for money (I still go by the old values of this website, though the website has changed a lot), I would appreciate a drink or a meal in exchange for a tour. If, however, you email me asking my opinion about another tour you are already taking, I will suggest that we take a tour together... I think this is fair enough! And I promise you won't be disappointed as I have several years of experience :)
* I like having a good time without hurting anyone or anything around me
* I value experiences and people a lot more than money and possessions. I believe that what makes someone rich is a life full of things to discuss with others...
* We never really grow up. We just learn how to act in public.
* There are no impossible dreams (Ozzy Osbourne)
* Now Ms. Parker, don't you believe what you read in all them newspapers (Clyde, in "Bonnie and Clyde")
* A man needs a little madness, or else he never dares cut the rope and be free (Zorba)
* Be careful of the yeah-but. The yeah-but will kill your dreams.
* Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection.
* The sunscreen song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQlJ3vOp6nI
* This cool video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vksdBSVAM6g
* This great article http://goinswriter.com/travel-young/
As for the text below, it is a friend's email - I received it right after hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. Have a look...
If you can't figure out life--consider this....
I was in New Orleans. A hurricane destroyed everything that I knew.
My home there is actually fine. The air quality is not. My asthma can not handle my home. I have not had work since.
I fell in love with photography. I liked taking pictures--but it is really a part of me.
Since you are at home--consider doing something that you really love to do. Do not settle on making money. You have an artists' streak in you. Try it out.
People might think that you are crazy--so what.
Since the hurricane, I realized that your whole world can change in a minute.
Enjoy every minute of what you have.
Don't die with regrets.
Enjoy your life.
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
I joined CS out of curiosity, and I was soon hooked, because the idea was just brilliant.
In the early days of CS, when things were a little less commercial, I was deeply involved in welcoming people to CS, organising events, hosting people and staying with people, and helping CS grow into the mainstream corporation it is today.
I have now moved forward to the next step. I've decided to follow my instinct when it comes to trusting random people - people that I met on the street, on the beach, during a concert, in a bar, in a plane. People with no "references" on their "profile". "Couchsurfing" is just a domain name. The concept of openness and hospitality exchange is much wider. Plus, "couchsurfing.org" is, sadly, very far from what it used to be...
You can read more about my current relationship with CS here https://vanidio.wordpress.com/2015/05/12/couchsurfing-the-end-of-an-era/
* Travelling as responsibly as I possibly can
* Meeting people
* Showing people around Athens
* Organising get-togethers
* Beach parties
* Unusual people
* Spicy food
* Unusual beers
* Single malt whiskeys
* Table tennis
* Modern art
* Cartoon movies
* Elephant miniatures
Music, Movies, and Books
Music is my life... I like rock, hard rock, heavy metal, jazz, blues, indie, experimental, instrumental (especially guitar)... I LOVE concerts and I've seen many of my favourite bands live, including Porcupine Tree (my favourite band), Blackfield, Iron Maiden, Lenny Kravitz, the Rolling Stones, Duran Duran, Black Sabbath, Guns'n'Roses, Steve Vai, the Levellers, Morcheeba, Joe Satriani, Mark Knopfler, Al Di Meola, Massive Attack, Radiohead, Tangerine Dream, Van der Graaf Generator, Hawkwind, Roger Waters, the Blues Brothers, Nick Cave, Loreena McKennit, Les Paul, Motorhead, Jethro Tull, Alice Cooper, Paco De Lucia, Kiss, AC/DC, Ozzy Osbourne, ZZ Top, Billy Idol, Aerosmith, The Stranglers........
I used to sing in cover bands and jam bands. Not many of them made it on stage, but it was a great experience :P
I love animation and fantasy movies - Disney, Miyazaki, Burton are among my favourites. Other that that, movies I've liked in the past include Clerks (absolutely insane fantastic movie), V for Vendetta, The Matrix, Dark City, Almost Famous, Velvet Goldmine, Memento, Amélie, Trainspotting, Ghost World, Human Traffic, Saving Grace, Waking Ned Devine, Clockwork Orange, Lost In Translation, American History X, The Lord Of The Rings, American Beauty, The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, Perfume, Fight Club, The Crow, The Royal Tenenbaums, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch, The Big Lebowski, Requiem for a Dream, Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, Zorba the Greek, Bonnie and Clyde.
I absolutely love a few short movies... here's a selection
* The octopus movie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BolgBSXjxeE
* Necktie - http://www.nfb.ca/film/necktie
* This really funny short movie that I was involved in - we made it with some CS people! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAFLB8bz7ro
I love magazines and comics, especially old-fashioned stuff like Disney, Asterix and Lucky Luke! As for books... there are many that I have liked in the past, but these days I prefer meeting and chatting with people.
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
I'm pretty sure that something that was amazing to me, e.g. taking a year off work, might sound normal to you... And something that I consider normal, e.g. freecamping on the beach in summer, might be amazing for you :)
If I wanted to mention just one thing, the Athens riots in December 2008
is something I'll never, ever forget. It showed me that everything can change in a moment... http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/12/2008_greek_riots.html
I could list a number of places I've found amazing - but let's talk about them when we meet!
Teach, Learn, Share
* If you don't know how to smile, I can usually show you :)
* If you are having a party, I can help you organise it!!!
* I can guide you around Athens and show you how to cook Greek food!
* I love Thai / Indian cuisine... So if you could give me a few tips on cooking, it would be great!
* If you can show me how to play the didgeridoo, or dance with more than one hula hoop, I'd really appreciate it!!!
* I want to learn how to fly. Can you show me?
What I Can Share with Hosts
My smile, my enthusiasm, my knowledge of Greece, and a bottle of wine.
Countries I’ve Visited
Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, France, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Palestine, Peru, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States, Vatican City State
Countries I’ve Lived In
Brazil, Greece, United Kingdom