- 9% response rate
- Last login 13 days ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Japhy’s full profile. It’s free!
To be the Change I wish to see in the world!
I am a boundless space.
The world is a clay pot.
This is the truth.
There is nothing to accept,
Nothing to reject,
Nothing to dissolve.
It is time now to forge a manifesto for living, to travel for the sake of travel, and to learn experientially from the world what it has to teach.
To make new friends and to strengthen old relationships. To sleep more on this earthen bed. To live and care for our planet in a sustainable way. To take a risk, push a little, follow our dreams, and make ourselves available for this beautiful world and its amazing habitants to surprise us and fill us with an insatiable sense of curiosity. To face the world head-on, and encounter it the way it is, not the way we imagine it....
and to be transformed.
To be the change I wish to see in the world.
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
HOW I PARTICIPATE IN COUCHSURFING
A beloved couchsurfer scribbled a note on a paper, slipping it on my desk as she left... it eloquently captures my (our?) philosophy on CS:
the guest house
this being human is a guest house
every morning a new arrival.
a joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.
welcome and entertain them all!
even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing
and invite them in.
Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.
Thanks to Katherine for the beautiful poetry.
My formal CS´ing history:
1. Greg. Calgary, CANADA
2. James Oliver. Seattle, USA
3. Christopher Birkigt. Marburg, GERMANY
4. Hella von Dallwitz. Berlin, GERMANY
5. Laura Hase. Berlin, GERMANY
6. Jaz Lin. Glendora, California, USA
7. Emma Ertel. Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
8. Ellen-Marie Winther. Oslo, NORWAY
9. Katherine Williams. Austin, TX, USA
10. Elisabeth Berger. Los Angeles, California, USA
11. Greg Poulton. Lewiston, California, USA
12. Sara Engstrand. Copenhagen, DENMARK
13. Denise Ellensohn. Dornbirn, AUSTRIA
14. Axel Miguez. Mar del Plata, ARGENTINA
15. Pete and Erica Staehl. Baltimore, Maryland, USA
16. Adelaide Nalley. Everywhere, USA
17. Julian Beldotti. Fort Collins, CO, USA
18. Tommasina Dandelion. Fort Collins, CO, USA
19. Travis Campbell. Fort Collins, CO, USA
20. Yael and Ella. Jerusalem, ISRAEL
21. Stacey Young. Los Angeles, CA, USA
22. You ???
Surfed around the world:
1. Cora Heeg. Bishop, California, USA
2. Stephany Howard. San Francisco, California, USA
3. Lexa Grayner. Berkeley, California, USA
4. Nico Linesch. San Francisco, California, USA
5. David Roman. Tijuana, MEXICO
6. Rob Cochran. La Mision, MEXICO
6. Bianca-Cinelli Ràbago. Ensenada, MEXICO
8. Arody Garcia. Mazatlan, MEXICO
9. Marlene Bolaños. Sayulita, MEXICO
10. Kirsten and Andy. Puerto Vallarta, MEXICO
11. Daniela Voigt. Cholula, MEXICO
12. Emily James. Cholula, MEXICO
12. Surya Lecona Moctezuma. Distrito Federal, MEXICO
13. Rodrigo Lecona. Distrito Federal, MEXICO
14. Irving Niño. Tuxtla Gutierrez, MEXICO
15. Joe Gouldby. San Josè, COSTA RICA
16. Rachel Loughery. San Josè, COSTA RICA
17. Dennis Ross. San Josè, COSTA RICA
18. Jessica Olson. Monteverde, COSTA RICA
19. Roman Sainz. Panama City, PANAMA
20. Luis Betancourt. Bogotà, COLOMBIA
21. Igel & Paola. San Agustin, COLOMBIA
22. Emma Franco. Popayán, COLOMBIA
23. Nick Rattray. Cuenca, ECUADOR
24. Beto Correa Rabanal. Cajamarca, PERÚ
25. Miguel Torres. Huancayo, PERÚ
26. Ariel Conitzer. La Paz, BOLIVIA
27. Carina Palma. Mendoza, ARGENTINA
28. Seth and Kirsten Gates. Santiago, CHILE
29. Arline Salinas. Vina del Mar, CHILE
30. Tamara Gutierrez. Temuco, CHILE
31. Analia and Valentina Ghirlanda. El Calafate, ARGENTINA
32. Veronica Scotti. Ushuaia, ARGENTINA
33. Linchen Otts. Rio Gallegos, ARGENTINA
34. Melisa Soles. Buenos Aires, ARGENTINA
35. Brian Schroer. San Francisco, California, USA
36. Sam Greenspan. Washington, DC, USA
37. Katie and Brett Friedman. Boulder, CO USA
ADVENTURING, alpine rock climbing, mountaineering, biking, the desert, LOVE, activism, social change, community building, feminism, SUSTAINABILITY, rational thought, science, skepticism, anthropology, philosophy, art history, literature provocateur, POETRY, D&D, mythology, spirituality, taoism, MUSIC, moontribe, ART, psychedelia
- womens rights
- rock climbing
- art history
Music, Movies, and Books
Diaros de Motocicleta, Y Tu Mama Tambien, An Inconvenient Truth, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Almost Famous, To Be or Not To Be, Amelie, Instinct, Mary Poppins, Life is Beautiful, O Brother Where Art Thou, LOTR, A Beautiful Mind, Good Will Hunting, Touching the Void
manu chao, dave brubeck, john coltrane, thelonius monk, the mars volta, rage against the machine, tom waits, radiohead, pink floyd, sigur ros, steely dan, iron and wine, jeff buckley, simon and garfunkle, nick drake, yes, hope sandoval, iron maiden, bjork, grateful dead, thievery corporation, shpongle, tool, led zeppelin, infected mushroom, orb
fiction: Ishmael, The Story of B, Beyond Civilization, Providence, Desert Solitaire, On the Road, Dharma Bums, Atlas Shrugged, Anthem, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Return of the Native, The Odyssey, LOTR, The Silmarillion, Finnegan's Wake, Ulysses, Ender's Game, The Hot Zone, Contact; non-fiction: The Third Chimpanzee, Guns Germs and Steel, Why Sex Is Fun, Dragons of Eden, The Demon Haunted World, Billions and Billions, I Have Landed, New World New Mind, Why People Believe Weird Things, How We Believe, Fast Food Nation, Science Magic and Religion; entheogenic:True Hallucinations, The Archaic Revival, Food of the Gods, PiHKAL, TiHKAL, Pharmakopoeia, Pharmacontheon, Wizard of the Upper Amazon - basically everything by Mckenna, Leary, Shulgin, Ott, Stamets, Doors of Perception, Island, Point Counterpoint, After Many a Summer Dies the Swan, Brave New World/Revisited - anything by Huxley!!!; poets: Donne, Wordsworth, Blake, Yeats, Shakespeare, Tennyson, Guest, Frost, Hardy, Dickinson, EA Robinson, Pound, Burroughs, Ginsberg, Bukowski, and Dhungana...; -); philosophy: The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, The Republic, Symposium, Meditations, Tao Te Ching, blah blah blah blah. talk to me if you really want to find out.
Teach, Learn, Share
Professor Dhungana's class would be titled:
"How to Change the World"
We would eat, drink, be merry, build community, and forge a revolution worthwhile for history books around the world to recount.
Countries I’ve Visited
Argentina, Bolivia, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, India, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Thailand
Countries I’ve Lived In
Argentina, Bolivia, Nepal, United States